Bittorrent GPRS/EDGE problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

akkies_2000

Journeyman
I'm unable to use bittorrent clients like azureus, utorrent on EDGE connection i.e. Mobile Office from Airtel Delhi through nokia N91. It says port forwarding not working. Could anyone help me out with any solution. Airtel customer care is unable to help since they dont know what a torrent is. Did anyone face similar problem?

Dipen01

Youngling
well at nite before yesterday i got some 27 kbps...i was downloading one torrent having 130 seeds and 5 leechs...

but usually its very fluctuating....at one second i get 25 and at other is 3 kbps...so i really dunno what to say....

currently at this moment am gettin 6.3kbps..which is disgusting...anyways...cant help...

but one thing is sure..its at its peak from 2 - 6 am.....

OP
A

akkies_2000

Journeyman
Dipen01 said:
Well..am using utorrent thru Airtel GPRS..quite well..!! in Pune
Could you please elaborate on the issue? Which handset what settings. Any configuration settings for utorrent. I guess you have the solution to the only problem I've with gprs and it is upsetting. I'm missing something somewhere. Please tell in detail so I cud also use it.

It says the port doesnt appears to be open. Which port are u using and how to open it.

Thanks in advance.
Actually I was using Azureus earlier and it wasnt working. I recently installed utorrent. During testing for ports, it said port not open. I then filled in the proxy settings into utorrent same as we fill in mobile for configuring access point. It is working now though I didnt get great speeds, maybe because the ports are closed and tracker is not working properly. It may be noted that Azureus is still not working. Would try to fill in proxy settings in Azureus also and see how it works.

Anyone with greater depth in this issue is welcome to share his knowledge.

Last edited:

Dipen01

Youngling
I didnt have to change any settings...i hav been using utorrents since very beginnin...so i stuck by it..!! and yeah at times...speed are close to pathetic..so i download only during 2 - 6/7 am.!! it give some 22 kbps at dat time.!!

OP
A

akkies_2000

Journeyman
Dipen, one more thing. In utorrent, goto options and then speed guide. Let me know what information do you get on clicking "Test if port is forwarded properly".

Thanks Dipen for your help. Thanks Digit as I tried utorerent only after reading about it in fast track.

Some information to make ports open for trackers to work efficiently is most welcome. Any information from Digit Admins!

Dipen01

Youngling
Well my Ports are not fowarded..;)

Checking port 15282 on 000.000.000.00...
Error! Port 15282 does not appear to be open

Either ways..it auto randomizes my port everytime..

Well i dunno if this must be causing less speed..but when port is closd i shuldnt be gettin any speed...why less speed..!!

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
Port forwarding doesnt work on Airtel GPRS/EDGE... Bitcomet works fione even without port forwarding tho most clients give trouble
Bitcomet/utorrent are the best for this kind of connection

OP
A

akkies_2000

Journeyman
As much as I could gather about port forwarding is that it helps in increasing speed by efficiently using the bittorrent technology of sharing and downloading from every peer and not just from actual owner. The problem in not being able to have port forwarding could be that you wont be able to connect to all the peers. This is so because you would be able to initiate the connection to the peers, but since the ports are not configured, they wont be able to connect to you. Also, maybe some trackers wont work for you. It means that download speeds might suffer. Thats why it is important and almost every torrent client shows it. In azureus, it appears as "dht firewalled" or "NAT error". In utorrent it appears next to downloads as yellow icon. If all is well, it is green.

But it seems that it is for those who have routers in between so that router knows where to transmit the received packet from the internet. And routers for airtel gprs are with AIRTEL and they are fools enuff to not know how to configure it or maybe they are saving their bandwidth.

I just hope what all I've said is correct. By the way, I got this information from

*www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Port_forwarding

Anyways, both azureus and utorrent are working now. Maybe they just needed a touch from Digit forums. utorrent performs a bit better for me.

Anyone with better knowledge may please verify what all I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom