Bird gone 'extinct' 7 decades earlier rediscovered!

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
interesting news (though a week or two old)! another of 'kudrat ka karishma'!

A bird thought to have gone the way of the dodo decades ago has been rediscovered in Myanmar (Burma), scientists reported Thursday.

A team led by the Wildlife Conservation Society stumbled upon the bird, a Myanmar Jerdon's babbler, last May while studying other birds in a small grassland area near an abandoned agricultural research station. (See "Pictures: Extinct Species That Could Be Brought Back.")

Once they heard its distinctive call, the scientists quickly recorded it and played the recording back, prompting an adult Myanmar Jerdon's babbler to come investigate. The team caught the the first known glimpse of the animal since 1941, according to a Thursday press release from the Wildlife Conservation Society.

Over the next two days, the team found several more individuals of the "extinct" bird and took blood samples and high-resolution photographs.

*i.imgur.com/bPfSvuim.jpg

*news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2...t-rediscovered-myanmar-burma-animals-science/

Last edited:

beingGamer

In the zone
There was news about sparrows in India as well about 2-3 years but now there are plenty to be seen around at least in Mumbai

Flash

Lost in speed
Anyone wants to make a documentary of how India saved the bird from extinction named "India's bird"?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Anyone wants to make a documentary of how India saved the bird from extinction named "India's bird"?

Every body wants to make movies and documentaries on social subjects rather such fantastic topics like saving the Indian Tiger, Sparrow from extinction.

A

amit.tiger12

Great Dude...

buy any one they can install it for you or you can do it for yourself.. they can also suggest you to where put this up..
I suggest all digitians.. Do some good work..

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
ooh it's the modern architecture that is causing this... wow didn't know that sparrows didn't even use trees

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
buy any one they can install it for you or you can do it for yourself.. they can also suggest you to where put this up..
I suggest all digitians.. Do some good work..

Even a small nest made out of DIY cardboard is enough to save any bird if for that matter...
What matters is consistency to think about our environment around us...

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
we don't see sparrows much for the last many years. there were many coming to our home during my childhood days. few used to come long back in this city also but rare nowadays :(

amjath

Human Spambot
we don't see sparrows much for the last many years. there were many coming to our home during my childhood days. few used to come long back in this city also but rare nowadays :(

Cell phone towers radiations are not reduced [somewhere i read], So i can see many sparrows now

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker

:D

BTW, had seen about a person who constructed those bird-shelters out of his home (at Pune i think) some years back on a TV show.

Top Bottom