Status
Not open for further replies.

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
I had got a Gigabyte K8VM800M motherboard with onboard Uni Chrome 2 graphics and onboard Realtek 10/100M LAN. Its BIOS version is F8. I want to know certain options in the BIOS. They are as follows:-

1) Advanced BIOS Features>>HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability => This feature is enabled by default I want to know that disabling the feature will increase the performance of HDD or not.

2) Advanced Chipset Features>> AGP & P2P Bridge Control>>AGP Master 1 WS Write=> This feature is disabled by default I want to know that enabling the feature will give any boost to the onboard graphics or not. And what does this feature actually means.

3) Advanced Chipset Features>> AGP & P2P Bridge Control>>AGP Master 1 WS Read=> This feature is disabled by default I want to know that enabling the feature will give any boost to the onboard graphics or not. And what does this feature actually means.

4) Integrated Peripherals>>USB Network Device=> This option is disabled I want to know which device is it.

5) Integrated Peripherals>>Onboard LAN Boot ROM=> This option is disabled I want to what is this ROM.

6) Integrated Peripherals>>Onboard FDC Controller=> This option is enabled I want to know what this controller does.

7) Power Management Setup>>PME Event Wake Up=> This option is enabled I wan to know that what is PME Event.

theraven

Technomancer
1)
Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology (or S.M.A.R.T.) is a technology that enables a PC to in some cases predict the future failure of storage devices (like hard disk drives).

more: *www.soyo.com.tw/kb/kbdesc.php?id=80

2)
By default, the AGP busmastering device waits for at least 2 wait states before it starts a write transaction. This option sets the delay to 1 wait state. This setting works fine with the motherboard and video card I have. But if you see anything strange with your graphics then set back to Disable and see if it clears up.

more : *www.mysuperpc.com/vcu/enable_agp.shtml

Enabled, this changes the default from a 2ws to a 1ws which will increase AGP Writing.

more: *www.racelinecentral.com/GamersBios2.html

3) check same links as above (2) for this feature

4) usually network devices that connect to the USB port of ur comp
usb to ethernet is an example of such a device

5) ROM: Read only memory
ur CMOS and BIOS are on ROM's
u cannot write to these ( unless with specific utilities and methods )
its meant only for READING from
there are diff types of ROM but lets not get into that

boot rom means u can program the chip with ur network details and where to boot from
this is used in booting from the network , usually for stations without harddisk that work on the server directly and also boot from it for the OS and other applications

6) FDC afaik is Floppy disk controller. Disable it for win earlier versions else u'll get the " no floppy drive" warning

7)
Computers which support the latest PCI power management specification support an extra PCI bus (PME) which the adapter can use to signal wake-up events rather than requiring a Wake-on-LAN cable.

more: *www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/netpm.mspx
*www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/netpm.mspx

Where do u get these answers ???
Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom