[Bike Advice] Difference between CB Unicorn and Unicorn Dazzler?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hi,

I am planning on buying a bike and I am going to get a Unicorn. But I was later told that there are two variants called CB Unicorn and Unicorn Dazzler. The CB Unicorn costs 75k while the Unicorn Dazzler costs around 78k (Both prices in Pune, on road, I am not very sure about Dazzler's cost). So, I am not confused as to what is the difference between the two and which is better in what regard, other than the looks.

I mainly need it to commute to office and occasionally cruising around the city.

Also, my height is close to 6', so how is the saddle height in the two?

Advise please.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I have a CB unicorn ...and its height is bit more than pulsar or a apache ....I am 5.6" and I find it bit difficult soo maybe it will be good for you :D

I think the basic difference between both is just looks...CB unicorn is simple in looks for office use...and Dazzlar is flashy for college students....Choice is urs

aloodum

Journeyman
^^^ no sir..there is a lot of difference between the two

The dazzler is up lifted unicorn so as to say.Few of the changes

- its 8 kgs lighter owing to reduction of many a parts(will come later to this)
- gets Dual discs, both front and back
- Gets oil soaked paper air filter
- Tuned up engine that has more mid range torque and a miniscule bump in power (14.08 from 13.3)

So dazzler wins handsdown? NO

1. The rear shocker setup is quite hard
2. In way of it losing some weight, it has introduced more plastic.it has even done away with some dampers at the steering section.
3. Engine is not as smooth as the older unicorn.ALso the feeble low end torque will see you you frequently changing gears in the lower spectrum.
4. Doesnt feel too planted at high to very speeds owing to light weight

So a bummer? Absolutely not

1. Apart from the r15/rtr 160, it will dominiate all other 150's in a straight head to head drag out there, even its bros from hero stable who share basically the same engine, owing to a better mid range torque and the loss of weight.
Also becoz of that paper intake filter, the unicorn FINALLY has a GROWL.
2. Due to a stiff suspension setup its has awesome handling charecteristics, even on curves. It will beg you to take that curve faster :)
3. Since its light and a very well balanced chasis along with a light handle setup, you will have no issues negotiating traffic
4. Mileage is decent-> if u ride 'sedately' it will return u figures of close to 50 evenw ith pillion. Redline it and the mileage will drop to 35.

Reliability and build quality is Honda all the way, no short cuts there.

So my friend, test ride both the bikes, and find out which one do you prefer. :)

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have enough saved enough to get the Dazzler, but I wanted to make sure that there would be no complications in the long run. Also, someone told me that its saddle height is a little low as compared to the original Unicorn and height is important for me.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I have heard that the dazzler has instability problems (shaking/vibration) at high speeds, may be due to lesser weight.

aloodum

Journeyman
saddle height is a bit low .....yes..thats why i inisist you take a test ride between the two in real world scenarios...

As a suggestion , you can also try the HERO CBZ xtreme, same quality but a lot better spare parts backup...,,it fits the bill for tall people perfectly.

Honda's will always have a problem with sourcing spare parts for their bikes... Trust me even afeter 2 years, spares of dazzler aint found commonly in your authorised service centres.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Ok...I'll take a test drive and post my experience here. Only if I can find time from my schedule now.

sujoyp

Grand Master
ooh thanks for telling the difference...My unicorn is now 8 years old now (from 1st batch) and still engine is never been opened for any repair....soo no issues there :) if u say spare parts means body parts..then yes u will have to wait sometimes for original part

aloodum

Journeyman
ooh thanks for telling the difference...My unicorn is now 8 years old now (from 1st batch) and still engine is never been opened for any repair....soo no issues there :) if u say spare parts means body parts..then yes u will have to wait sometimes for original part

No probs mate.... The 1st gen,,aah late oct 2004 batch if i guess, only self start / plus they that a drum brake option also...gem of a bike indeed.
Spare parts as in everything ...of late they have been getting worse. Maybe they are too damn busy with yuga

Top Bottom