Bharti Airtel to start DTH and IPTV services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
don't worry it will take another decade for them to practically launch such service.
reliance is launching iptv since 2003 but still there is no sign of iptv from their side
same with airtel wifi, iptv etc

^^ I have to disagree. The reason why IPTV has been long coming is because of the low bandwidth available. It has been the struggling point for every IPTV provider including BSNL. It's just now that higher bandwidths of upto 8Mbps are becoming a reality to the end users. But the case is different with regards to DTH.

DTH has been a long running and established technology. Infrastructure for DTH is already setup and only participants need to enter into the system, no new infrastructure needs to be added expect in cases like contact centers. So, DTH is already there, it's just a couple of new faces that you will see coming.

leomax

Broken In
I cannot quite agree with you here,
Almost all providers have the last mile capable of upto 8Mbps+.and a few config changes at provider part,voila,we can get upto 24Mbps down,without much sweating.Also as i understand almost all IPTV implemetations has mpeg4/avc capable STB,so bw problem is really eliminated..

and also remember adsl internet bw!= iptv bw..

ThinkFree

Technomancer
desitek.com said:
don't worry it will take another decade for them to practically launch such service.
reliance is launching iptv since 2003 but still there is no sign of iptv from their side
same with airtel wifi, iptv etc

Reliance and Airtel are different companies. How can you compare Airtel with Reliance. Reliance is trying to focuss more on the number and quantity of services they offer(they have power,communication companies,Cinemas,Radio channel,....... and a lot of other services but we all know how good their services are) while Airtel targets quality.If they charge premium rates for their services , quality of their services is also better than others.

leomax said:
I cannot quite agree with you here,
Almost all providers have the last mile capable of upto 8Mbps+.and a few config changes at provider part,voila,we can get upto 24Mbps down,without much sweating.Also as i understand almost all IPTV implemetations has mpeg4/avc capable STB,so bw problem is really eliminated..

and also remember adsl internet bw!= iptv bw..

I don't think you got my point. What you said is correct but what I told is that it's just become a reality in the recent past. Very few cities have 8Mbps connections and those are the only cities where IPTV has been provided. Don't dream about 24Mbps now as that is not going to be easily achievable with the kind of infrastructure available in India. Believe me, I being an ISP engineer have seen these things long coming and I know how much of a pain it has been for BT(British Telecom) to do the 24Mbps tests and finallly provide a very unreliabe 8Mbps service.

Since bandwidth issue has just been realized in the near past is why IPTV took long to come. It has no relation or similarity whatsoever to the DTH, so the point I was trying to make is that just because IPTV took longer to come doesn't mean DTH is going to take that long.

leomax

Broken In
There may be a bit of misunderstanding,i said the bw available to last mile and not the whole internet bw available to end user..
like you sync at 24M and still get only 256k effective internet and 24M to exchange/dslam (lot of bw at last mile)..I can understand the teething issues,but i was pointing that even HD channels are possible now..
well,if i read you right,i cant see why we cant implement IPTV with current infrastructure.

leomax said:
There may be a bit of misunderstanding,i said the bw available to last mile and not the whole internet bw available to end user..
like you sync at 24M and still get only 256k effective internet and 24M to exchange/dslam (lot of bw at last mile)..I can understand the teething issues,but i was pointing that even HD channels are possible now..
well,if i read you right,i cant see why we cant implement IPTV with current infrastructure.

I didnt say it's not possible, it's just starting to become possible is what I said. Well, it's starting to become possible because the ISP's have increased their synch rates to upto 8Mbps. And not all of them have done that and till all the ISP open up to alteast upto 8Mbps, then IPTV will be possible everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom