best TouchScreen and GPS Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
Can someone suggest me a good rather best phone for GPS use and with touch screen capability.

Definatly it needs to have other good features as well but i am also focusing on GPS a lot...

somephones i was eyeing was

HTC Hero
Samsung Omnia
Samsung UltraTouch
Nokia N97 mini

but need to know what you guys prefer and if someone can share your own experience.

sachitgul

Journeyman
Htc Hero FTW!!!

great phone..
and plus it is getting the 2.1 FW update..

and most importantly Android OS floors the Symbian OS!!!

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
Have any one used GPS in Samsung or HTC

My budget is around 15k... i want a phone which is worth the price...

hero is around 22k but i dont think the price justifies the features it provides.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
@topic,
you got to extend your budget a little more buddy. Both N97,HTC Hero and Omnia series are around 25K price range.
Within 15K, i think Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition will be a good choice!
I am using Omnia HD. It is working fantastic till date and so is its GPS. Not to mention the minimum time taken by the device while triangulating position. Its damn fast. :)

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
is there no one who used GPS On their phone...
I have used Nokia maps extensively with my 5800 and Now I'm using Samsung i5700.
My view after using them a lot.

Nokia
- 5800 has a good GPS module, if not the best I have seen. Locks into positioning very fast and stays good through out. But such a nice hardware is bundled with Nokia maps which are not as extensive and detailed as google maps and Only a few Indian Cities are mapped. Ofcourse you can use google maps but most of the apps are integrated or linked to nokia maps. That said, nokia maps has personalized user mapping. i.e you can add custom points of interest as you like and also use the positioning app to note down new places. This ofcourse is Private to your mobile, those edits are not public.
Hence you can have your customized map with your own routes,places in addition to the original content. But the recent v40 update has literally changed the way I use nokia maps. The new update syncs your custom mappings b/w your phone and Ovi account. So even if your mobile is away, you can just login to ovi.com and browse the maps there with your custom listings since both are in sync. Quite a few good functionalities but it lacks the most important thing MAPSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i5700( Android + Google Maps)
Since i5700 runs on android, I hope all those above mentioned Android phones would have same functionality, if not better. A-GPS is very fast and accurate in this. But the dedicated GPS module takes some good 20-30 seconds for locking into positioning. Once locked it stays fixed for good. I don't have to say anything about google maps :))
and the whole Google services integration literally blows you away. Trust me Symbian looks like **** once you used Android. I can't wait to try 2.1 Eclair. Heard it has a few more goodies and Augmented reality too. Now that takes GPS on android to another level.since i5700 comes with Magnetometer as well, so even orientation will be accurate and handy. (Frankly I haven't seen it working even though I'm able to use magnetometer with third party apps like compass, and hope orientation works with the 2.1 update)
But If it had a custom private mappings like Nokia maps, it would have been ultimate. Barring that Google maps scores better than Nokia maps and trust me you'll be BLOWN away by the Google Integration.

I would pick any android phone if I were you. Better wait for the new HTC android phones(Desire,Bravo etc) or Go for Hero

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
@topic,
you got to extend your budget a little more buddy. Both N97,HTC Hero and Omnia series are around 25K price range.
Within 15K, i think Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition will be a good choice!
I am using Omnia HD. It is working fantastic till date and so is its GPS. Not to mention the minimum time taken by the device while triangulating position. Its damn fast. :)

What is the cost of that set and how long are u using. Does that need any GPRS connection for the GPS to work.

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
Guys i saw Samsung Jet costing around 17k yesterday... How is the set...

I saw Hero as well but compared to Jet it dont have a secondary camera, no Flash, NO radio and even the screen resolution is lesser.

Please suggest is this a good phone... or is there any other suggestion within 20k (i increased the budget by 5k)

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

I also saw Omnia Pro with a sliding QWERTY keypad... how is this set and how much is the price for same.

red dragon

Master troll
Jet is a good phone destroyed by generic o.s from samsung,where as omnia hd is running on symbian is a very good multimedia phone,better than 3gs in terms of music and video plyback,not tested gps on that though,but it will make you poorer by 27k,for your budget htc hero is the best available option,if you want to play safe go for n97 mini (good but stupid phone like all nokias these days)

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
how is OmniaPro B7610... i like the specs...

Amolded screen
sliding keypad
5mp cam with flash
windows 6.5
office doc readers
great music player
GPS with AGPS

anyone has any idea abt the set

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
^^ is this Omnia or jet...

anyone who has experience with the set... i called a shop and they said its better to get N97 mini rather than Samsung Omnia pro

lucifer_is_back

Journeyman
Guys i saw Samsung Jet costing around 17k yesterday... How is the set...

I saw Hero as well but compared to Jet it dont have a secondary camera, no Flash, NO radio and even the screen resolution is lesser.

Please suggest is this a good phone... or is there any other suggestion within 20k (i increased the budget by 5k)

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

I also saw Omnia Pro with a sliding QWERTY keypad... how is this set and how much is the price for same.
dont buy samsung jet ,there are no applications ,pc suite is not compatible and there is no firmware update available from samsung

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
@ajayashish,
I've been using Omnia HD for last 7 months now. Hell loads of mods and custom firmwares available for it. I got it for 24.5K at that time. Currently, its MRP is 27K! Btw, Omnia Gold Edition is also available for 32K.
And no, it doesnt require GPRS for GPS to work. The positioning as i've already mentioned is way fast than other phones in the league.
And the pic is of Samsung Omnia II (i9000), which runs on Win Mobile 6.5 platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom