best OS for gaming ?!

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I have finally installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Have another question in mind, Why the games need more RAM for Windows 7 than Windows XP?

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I have finally installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Have another question in mind, Why the games need more RAM for Windows 7 than Windows XP?

Instead of giving you an indirect reply.. Let me put it this way..

At any given point of time, given the visual settings are same and the DX version is same, the game will take same amount of RAM no matter what OS it is running on. It might be 98, XP, 7. If the game takes 700MB RAM on one Operating system, it will take the same on all the rest of Operating systems.

But the reason for extra requirement of RAM is to leave empty RAM for operating system's background tasks, scheduled tasks, etc. So, as windows 7 requires more ram, the game itself asks for more ram to leave a room for OS whilst running the game.

sasuke

Broken In
^i think your pc must not be capable to run windows 7, coz 7 is faster and beautiful than xp anytime

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
You know i still use Windows XP much faster for me

Cannot be. Win7 is much more faster than XP. It is optimized and newer code. The reason we see Win7 using more RAM, cause it allocates it more efficiently. Ready to use objects/tasks are available on the RAM -- thus making the system more snappy and responsive.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
win 7 32-bit or 64-bit on 2gb ram sys ?.
and y ?
Install 64bit, time to move on.

64bit doesn't require 4GB RAM to run 'efficiently.' Just install 64bit. Which processor do you have anyways?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
are there any reliable benchmarks that compare xp and 7 as far is gaming is concerned ?
You want to play DirectX 9 games, use XP. If you want to play DirectX 11 games + older DirectX games, use Windows 7.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyways, you guys seem to complicate things which shouldn't be made "complicated."

Now here is my opinion.

I probably have the weakest Core 2 Duo T5500 laptop with only 1GB RAM and only Intel GMA 950 graphics. Windows XP will be better for me than Windows 7 in gaming and also in running more softwares at once because Windows XP has lower memory footprint than Windows 7 AND it will matter to me cuz I have only 1GB of RAM.

But when you have a capable system, there will be hardly any difference in the gaming performance between both the Operating Systems and Windows 7 might be faster.

In a nutshell, 1GB Windows XP vs 1GB Windows 7. Windows XP wins cuz Windows 7 uses more RAM at stock. 2GB Windows XP vs 2GB Windows 7 - hardly any noticeable difference as far as I am concerned. 3GB RAM or moe - use Windows XP if you still like it. ;)

Now 32bit vs 64bit scenario. 32bit operating systems can't utilize RAM more than 4GB. 32bit processors handle 32bit wide integers whereas 64bit processors handle 64bit wide integers. There is hardly any performance difference between 32bit and 64bit tbh.

You have 1GB RAM. Try to limit yourself to Windows 32bit only. You have 2GB RAM, consider Windows 64bit. You have 3GB RAM or more, forget Windows 32bit. You have 4GB RAM, use Windows 64bit.

That is the way how I look at things.

I use Windows 7 32bit and Ubuntu amd64 in my laptop. The latter is my choice because I think it is the time to move on from 32bit Linux.

Last questions.
What about Windows Vista? It sucks.
What about Windows XP x64, I heard it exists? Has many compatibility issues.
Any compatibility issues in Windows 7 64bit? Almost zero as far as my usage is concerned. Runs my 32bit programs seamlessly.
Enough of crap, just tell me why 64bit? Time to move on.

32bit and 64bit drivers are different.
Nothing wrong in using 64bit OS in 1GB RAM or even 256MB RAM though. ;)

-------------------

More information.

x86 is the family instruction sets developed by Intel which they used in their 8bit, 16bit and 32bit processors.

When Intel developed their 64bit processor named Itanium, they wanted to deviate away from x86 to IA-64 which was significantly different from x86.

AMD didn't want to do that, they created amd64 or x86-64 which was an extension to x86 and fully backward compatible with 32bit too. (In today's world, x86 refers to 32bit) Intel had to give in and accepted x86-64. Although they called it EM64T and finally Intel 64.

AMD has shipped 64bit processors since 2003 with their Athlon 64. And basically, amd64 is the reason why you guys can still use Windows 7 32bit or any other 32bit OS on your "64bit" processors seamlessly today.

In a nutshell, x86-64 = amd64 = EM64T/Intel 64.

One question,
Can I install Ubuntu amd64 on my Intel Core 2 Duo E8400? Like I said, x86-64 = amd64 = EM64T/Intel 64. So, YES YOU CAN. Ubuntu calls it amd64, it is their decision.

Last edited:

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Instead of giving you an indirect reply.. Let me put it this way..

At any given point of time, given the visual settings are same and the DX version is same, the game will take same amount of RAM no matter what OS it is running on. It might be 98, XP, 7. If the game takes 700MB RAM on one Operating system, it will take the same on all the rest of Operating systems.

But the reason for extra requirement of RAM is to leave empty RAM for operating system's background tasks, scheduled tasks, etc. So, as windows 7 requires more ram, the game itself asks for more ram to leave a room for OS whilst running the game.

Thanks a lot for your clear cut answer but Can you please re explain the bold part?
If I got it right it means,
Windows 7 64 bit recommends 2 GB RAM, and say a game, COD B OPS for example, needs 2 GB RAM, so I gotta have 2+2 = 4 GB RAM for optimum performance.
If I got it wrong, Please tell me.

Thanks in advance.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
No,No.. It is not the way things work.

Say a game requires 512MB of Ram. If the game is running on a machine with XP, then.. it will need 500MB of ram + amount of ram required for basic Operating system to run the background tasks(Your explorer, Antivirus, Internet connectivity Downloads, etc).

With that understood, the background tasks(including system services) will take higher amount of RAM if it is on windows 7, than it will be on XP. If the amount required for Background tasks is 512MB in XP, then it might be 768MB or 1GB in Windows 7. So, for this game to run effectively, A windows XP machine requires 768MB of RAM (512MB for game+256MB for system services). But a Windows 7 machine requires 1GB of RAM (512MB for game+512MB for System services).

And if a game states that it requires 2GB ram, then it will take all the odds into account. Which means, that 2GB covers the game+system services. So, to run the game perfectly you just need to have that 2GB of Memory.

sasuke

Broken In
In a nutshell, 1GB Windows XP vs 1GB Windows 7. Windows XP wins cuz Windows 7 uses more RAM at stock. 2GB Windows XP vs 2GB Windows 7 - hardly any noticeable difference as far as I am concerned. 3GB RAM or moe - use Windows XP if you still like it.

bro once i had installed windows 7 32 bit wen i was having 2gb RAM the test results from system information gave me 6.3 points in cpu and then i installed windows 7 64 bit, for a few days just to test the system information gave me 6.5 at cpu score, so there is surely some performance difference between the 2 OS.
now i am back on 32 bit and again 6.3 ratings.

ya but 64 bit consumed around 1000-1200mb of RAM, while 32 bit consumed around 700-800mb RAM at idle

Last edited:

satyamy

Alive Again...
well everybody is saying Windows 7 64 bit
i'll like to add something
get "Genuine Windows 7 64 bit" :)

ajai5777

Youngling
There is also one thing to be noted.32 bit applications run faster in a 32 bit OS.Even though we have 64 bit proccy and 64 bit OS, most of the softwares and games are still 32bit.

Top Bottom