Best Linux OS ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo007

Broken In
:eek:Hello Friends!!!:eek:
I am Win XP Professional SP2 user. But willing to switch to Linux.
Reason is I’m fed up with the Stop Error (Blue Screen). PC getting restarted suddenly.
I tried a lot to solve the problem but couldn’t succeed.:mad::mad:
So willing to switch to Linux.
Can you plz tell me which is the best Linux OS.:cool: And will this prob of stop error can arise in Linux too.:confused::confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Best Linux OS ????????????

Reason is I’m fed up with the Stop Error (Blue Screen). PC getting restarted suddenly.
Can you plz tell me which is the best Linux OS.:cool: And will this prob of stop error can arise in Linux too.:confused::confused:
Its called BSOD (blue screen of death)
Still, just coz your PC is giving BSODs doesn't mean that it is XP at fault, so it is a bit too soon to say that "I'll chuck XP as it is giving BSODs and use Linux". If it is a hardware prob, then even Linux OS will give an error.

Still, to answer your question,
Ubuntu (for a relatively new PC) or Mint (for a slightly older PC) are the best options for some one new into Linux. Even OpenSUSE is good.

Please run a search of the dozens of threads on this forum which have already answered that "Best Linux " query.

NucleusKore

TheSaint

OpenSUSE 11.0 or Ubuntu 8.10
See the Open Source FAQ section for installation and multimedia guides for these distros.

PS: OpenSUSE 11.1 is releasing in 24 hours

Last edited:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...

OpenSUSE 11.0 or Ubuntu 8.10
See the Open Source FAQ section for installation and multimedia guides for these distros.

PS: OpenSUSE 11.1 is releasing in 24 hours
yeh, me also waitning for OpenSuSE 11.1!

BTW, Ubuntu 8.10 for new-comers IMO.

But guys, dont you think it's a little bit too fast to ditch XP b'coz of its BSOD and use Linux? I mean, what if it is a genuine hardware fault? wont Linux also have a problem? (it wont show BSOD, but will show a prob, wont it?)

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero

Yeah that's the point. Try Linux, see it as a hardware fault, change hardware and get back to XP.

@bravo007, I think the newly released Linux Mint 6 would be a good tryout for you.

^^
Exactly.
@bravo007,
If you can wait for another 24 hours, OpenSUSE will release its new version by then and you can try it out.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent

So a windows refugee

Hmm........don worry........go for Ubuntu or Madriva..........i recommend Madriva ad it is quite similar to XP in some things like interfaces,etc

OP
bravo007

bravo007

Broken In
Hello Friends!!!!:p
Thanks a lot for your replies:p

I'm going to opt Ubuntu 8.10 or Opensuse 11.1:p

Last edited:

red_devil

Back!
^ so you've managed to shortlist... thats a good beginning :D

amongst Ubuntu n Open Suse... i'd say you should go for Ubuntu 8.10...

Rahim

Married!
Download the Live CD a.k.a. Desktop CD and boot from it and check if all your hardwares are supported without installing Linux itself. If everything is alright then go ahead and double click the "Install" button on the Desktop :)

Ubuntu Live CD

openSUSE 11.0

You have to choose between KDE 4 or GNOME as your Desktop Environment and choose the download link accordingly.

Last edited:

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
I suggest Opensuse 11.1 although it always failed to install on my lappu *www.msgking.com/images/emoticons/smileys/smileys22.gif

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
though i am not an experienced user in linux, my advice is to stick with Gnome and do not go for KDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom