Best Laptop for Movies and App Development around 50K?

mashac

Broken In
Hi guys, my old laptop(Acer 4820TG Timeline Series) stopped working last week and now I'm in hunt for a new one. I intended to use the laptop for watching 1080p movies and Android app development. I want a laptop with a nice display(preferably FullHD IPS screen, else 720p IPS screen), sufficient power and Long battery life(since I'm used to 5+ hours backup on my old Laptop). Also, I won't use this Laptop for any kind of gaming. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

OP
M

mashac

Broken In
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

Around 50k INR

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Watching 1080p Movies and app development.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
No

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like:
b. Dislike:

None, all brands are welcome.

6) Anything else you would like to say?

Screen resolution ( 768p (HD) / 900p / 1080p (Full HD) ) FullHD if available in my budget else HD, in both case prefer an IPS panel.
Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) / extended (5-7hrs) ) 5-7 hrs
Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, infibeam) / Local / Abroad (do mention the country) ) Local

- - - Updated - - -

Found this ebay seller and this ASUS GL552JX-DM087D laptop with Core i7-4720HQ, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 15.6" Full HD, 4GB 950M Graphics at an incredible price of 55K. He says his products are imported from Thailand and have Asus 2 year International warranty and have a seller feedback rating of 99.1%. Is it ok to buy this model from him? Anybody know about International warranty?

from his ebay page,

General Notes and Warranty:

*Product comes with ASUS 2 year International Warranty

*The Product Comes in Original ASUS Box Pack, there is no alteration or change in packing or anything. The Product will be untouched and will be in 100% Sealed Condition.

*This is an Imported Laptop and the keyboard of this laptop have English and Thai language printed on the keyboard (English is in bold and big, Thai language is small and is in a corner and less visible) The pictures shown here are for reference only and the keyboard in actual laptop have Thai language printed with English.

*The Laptop works in English only just like all other laptops, there is no change in usage because of the keyboard.

*we will provide you Thailand Bill also for warranty purposes, the warranty will be valid from the date of bill, the bill date will not be older than 7 days of your purchase.

Asus GL552JX DM087D Core I7 4720HQ 4GB RAM 1TB HDD 15 6" Full HD 4GB Graph | eBay

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone? How is the ASUS ROG series laptops?

- - - Updated - - -

I hope some one here'll help me.

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect
This is perfect laptop for you.
Asus ZenBook UX305
Notebooks & Ultrabooks | ASUS ZENBOOK UX305 | ASUS Global
This has been launched for 49k which is awesome.
Asus ZenBook UX305 with Intel Core M processor launched in India at Rs 49,999 - Tech2

If you need more power you should go with Lenovo flex 2.
Buy Lenovo Flex-2 14 59-429729 14-inch Laptop (Core i5 4210U/4GB/500GB/Windows 8.1/N15V-GM DDR3L 2GB Graphics/with Laptop Bag), Grey Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in

Last edited:
OP
M

mashac

Broken In
[MENTION=125133]Minion[/MENTION]: ZenBook is a very nice ultra portable, but not suitable for me with it's 13.3 size, Core M processor and Intel HD 5300. I'm currently stuck on that Asus Rog Model I mentioned in the above post. i7 HQ processor with 950M Gpu and an IPS FullHD display is incredible for the price 55K. My concerns are about buying this Thailand imported model and it's warranty in India and availability of a spare battery since battery life is low on this model.

Minion

Conversation Architect
No you will not get warranty if you import from Thailand. Battery life in all gaming laptop sucks.To be honest for your kind of requirement flex 2 model I have suggested is best.

You don't need a i7 for programming and watching movies.

OP
M

mashac

Broken In
No you will not get warranty if you import from Thailand. Battery life in all gaming laptop sucks.To be honest for your kind of requirement flex 2 model I have suggested is best.

You don't need a i7 for programming and watching movies.

I'm reluctant on that flex 2 because of 4GB,500 GB, 820M configuration. Can it handle 1080p movies with bit rate of 34.0 Mbps? I'm a movie buff, so that kinda power and IPS FHD display are most important to me. Also, there is a possibility that I might try my hands at Android game development. Is Core i5-4210U with 820M enough for my requirements? I decided to raise my budget to 65-70k. Know any models that meet my requirements in that range?

Also, about the Thailand International warranty thing. I contacted my local Asus service center and they said they only accept if it is Global warranty. I don't know the difference between International warranty and Global warranty.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Global warranty has a official document on which it is mentioned that laptop can be serviced globally.

Just ask that seller if he can send u a pic of that doc and then ask Asus about it.
Then u r good to go

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
[MENTION=285351]mashac[/MENTION],if you are using wndows default renderer then even a 50mbps bit rate 1080p video shouldn't be an issue.if you are using madvr with nnedie32 & above,even a 10mbps 720p video can bring the likes of 840m to their knees.if you don't know what i am talking about then most likely you will be fine with any 1080p video on a 820m.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Is Core i5-4210U with 820M enough for my requirements? I decided to raise my budget to 65-70k. Know any models that meet my requirements in that range?

Intel GPU supports 4k videos with media player classic and k lite codec pack basic that too in hardware decoding so I don't think you will face any issue playing any videos.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm reluctant on that flex 2 because of 4GB,500 GB, 820M configuration. Can it handle 1080p movies with bit rate of 34.0 Mbps? I'm a movie buff, so that kinda power and IPS FHD display are most important to me. Also, there is a possibility that I might try my hands at Android game development. Is Core i5-4210U with 820M enough for my requirements? I decided to raise my budget to 65-70k. Know any models that meet my requirements in that range?

Also, about the Thailand International warranty thing. I contacted my local Asus service center and they said they only accept if it is Global warranty. I don't know the difference between International warranty and Global warranty.

If you can spend 64k then get HP ENVY K-201TX is good option.

Top Bottom