Best firewall(paid/free)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom

Journeyman
The Windows Firewall does the work fine enough, only if you got patience and worthy data on your comp, go for a 3rd party.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Windows Firewall is not a good enough solution because it only filters incoming traffic and not outgoing traffic. If by chance a keylogger, spyware, etc gets installed in your system, other firewalls will have a better chance in stopping them from phoning home...

Arun

shaunak

Tux Fan
Venom said:
The Windows Firewall does the work fine enough, only if you got patience and worthy data on your comp, go for a 3rd party.

windows firewall is virtually useless. it lacks the basics functionalities of a good firewall like ASKING the user if a certain program should b allowed to access the internet or not. beats the point of having a firewall really

my opinion:
PAID:
Zonealarm PRO
Free:
Zonealrm home:D

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
@Venom, sakumar79, shaunak: You people probably dont know how succesfull iptables/ipfilters is! There is NO outbound application control based firewall for linux. You absolutely DO NOT need outbound application control! Catching a keylogger is not the job of a firewall, its the job of the antivirus! That is why i said if you have a good antivirus, you dont need a separate firewall. This thread is an interesting read for this argument: *www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=141174 Also check out: *www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=139329

@s18000rpm: The site you gave for firewall comparisions is known to be biased (for all reviews they do). *www.firewallleaktester.com/ this site is known for its unbiased and detailed comparision of outbound application control based firewalls.

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
@Kalpik, no matter how good an antivirus is, a new virus/spyware/keylogger can slip through undetected by it for the first few days/hours of its release... Having a good firewall is a second line of defense in this matter...

Arun

kalpik

But in that case, the firewall is doing the job of an antivirus if it has to detect virus/spyware/keylogger.. Exactly my point! That is NOT the job of a firewall :p Hehe.. Anyway.. lets just leave it at that! To each his own! But i still recommend a read at the links i provided! They are very informative!

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
The best firewall is Jetico .. It will provide you with the best customization options and control over packets travelling on your network.. Only drawback with it is its interface is bit too advanced for a new user.. Me a (happy) Jetico user for 2 years ..

kalpik

^^ Yup.. Jetico is No 1 at firewallleaktester. It has the best HIPS (application control) and probably the best SPI (packet control) in the market! But then again, it is much too advanced for the average joe..

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
For newbies better use ZoneAlarm Pro. Yeah Jetico is very good.There are too many
things to configure for a newbie.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
hey Guys,

If a basic firewall i.e. ZoneAlarm can do near about all the things then why to use others? It is good enough to rest on.

& once again, Windows internal Firewall is NOT a thing on which u can rest.....

Kniwor

Learner
i was using Z|A for a lot long, but now i have switched to KAV, and it seems better to me, more configurable, more strict, unlike the case with Z|A, infact now i feel Zonealarm is not that good, just my personal views.

unni

In the zone
What about Comodo Personal Firewall? I have been using it for the past two weeks. Earlier, I was using ZoneAlarm Free. It seems to be really good, and intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom