Best Affordable Wireless Lan Card for Laptop...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sincereheart

Broken In
Best Affordable Wireless Lan Card for Laptop...!!!

Respected Tech gurus and dear friends

I have just purchased an acer laptop.

I intend to achieve following two things and your help is required in this regard.

1. I want to be able to connect to wireless internet access at hotspots (especially in USA hotels as i am scheduled to travel to USA next week) through my laptop.

What hardware and software is required to be added to my laptop so that i am able to access such hotspot internet...???

plz suggest best hardware (obviously reasonably affordable)...!!!!

2. I have also a desktop at home and would like to connect it to laptop through wireless networking but am absolutely clueless as to how to do that...????

Plz again suggest what hardware and software may be required both in laptop and my desktop
so that they can be wirelessly connected.

I am absoultely new to this networking and wireless stuff and request you knowledgeable people to guide me in a simple and desciptive manner what should be done to achieve this.

Thanks a lot for your anticipated help and cooperation.

Best regards

Sunando

sunandoghosh (at) gmail (dot) com

p.s. plz add anything else which u may feel i may be missing or is nevertheless important.

OP
S

sincereheart

Broken In
Laptop must have accessories while travel.....and otherwise.

Laptop must have accessories while travel.....and otherwise...???

Dear friends

I have recently purchased an acer laptop costing around 55k.

As this is the first time that i will be using a laptop and also carrying it while travelling to USA next week...plz guide as to the very essential accessories which we should purchase to make our life easier while travelling with laptop and also using it for several weeks in USA in the hotel.

You input will help me in avoiding any major unexpected probelsm.

thanks a lot.

regards

sunando

sunandoghosh (at) gmal (dot) com

p.s. plz add anything else which u may feel i may be missing or is nevertheless important.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@sincereheart WTH did you post two threads . You already had one here. you could have posted the two queries here itself.

pickster

Professional Layabout.
1] Laptop Case / Cover
2] Spare Battery
3] OS CD [if your laptop needs re-installing of OS. although very slim possibilities
can't think of anything else...
and don't make unnecessary new threads for different questions.

pickster

Professional Layabout.
if your laptop already has WLAN then no need. You need to make sure your laptop supports both WLAN B & G as these are the most common. There is another WLAn A but not that common. If you laptop supports these then no need for extra hardware.
If not, then you can add a WLAN PCMCIA card of it.

OP
S

sincereheart

Broken In
pickster said:
1] Laptop Case / Cover
2] Spare Battery
3] OS CD [if your laptop needs re-installing of OS. although very slim possibilities
can't think of anything else...
and don't make unnecessary new threads for different questions.

thanks for ur suggestions and really sorry for the extra thread :)

OP
S

sincereheart

Broken In
if your laptop already has WLAN then no need. You need to make sure your laptop supports both WLAN B & G as these are the most common. There is another WLAn A but not that common. If you laptop supports these then no need for extra hardware. If not, then you can add a WLAN PCMCIA card of it.

hey boss really thanks for such a wonderful explanation but just to be sure as i am too too non technical person...

my acer model is 3212 (3210 series)

*global.acer.com/products/notebook/tm3210.htm

pzl have a look at the above link which gives the detailed feature of my laptop and suggest whether any additional hardware is required or not...????

all i want is to make sure that i can wirelessly access the internet at various hotspots through my laptop in USA especially at the hotel where i intedn to stay (as the hotel does provide free wireless intenet access)...????

thanks

OP
S

sincereheart

Broken In
pickster said:
if your laptop already has WLAN then no need. You need to make sure your laptop supports both WLAN B & G as these are the most common. There is another WLAn A but not that common. If you laptop supports these then no need for extra hardware.
If not, then you can add a WLAN PCMCIA card of it.

HOW CAN I BE SURE WHETHER THE LPTOP SUPPORTS WLAN B G AND A.????

OP
S

sincereheart

Broken In
Code:
 I have also a desktop at home and would like to connect it to laptop through wireless networking but am absolutely clueless as to how to do that...???? 

Plz again suggest what hardware and software may be required both in laptop and my desktop 
so that they can be wirelessly connected. 

I am absoultely new to this networking and wireless stuff and request you knowledgeable people to guide me in a simple and desciptive manner what should be done to achieve this.

HOW DO I MAKE SURE THAT MY DSKTOP CAN WIRLESSLY CONNECT WIHTH MY LAPTOP...

WHAT DO I REQUIRE IN MY DESKOP...ITS 865GBF MOTHERBOARD...???

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Threads merged here.

@sincereheart: Please do not start multiple threads dealing with the same topic. And, please, avoid typing in ALL CAPS. It's considered shouting and bad forum etiquette. Lastly, according to the link you posted, your laptop has WLAN B and G capability.

manmay

Journeyman
to connect your desktop to your wifi enabled laptop you'll be needing a pci based wifi card. taht goes into the pci slot of your 865 gbf. dont expect a range of more than 20 metres. for increasing range and also connecting more no of wifi enabled devices u'll need to buy an access point. which will act like a switch among all your wifi devices.
hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom