BE(IT) vs BE(CSE) vs BCA/MCA vs BSc/MSc(CS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
Are you talking about 4 courses or 6 courses. And if you are talking about 6 courses don't you the difference between BCA(Bachelor of Computer Applications) and MCA(Master of Computer Applications).:neutral:

Last edited:

amol48

Searching...
In Pune university, BE (IT) and BE (CSE) are technically the same. 36 out of total 38 subjects of IT and CSE are the same! (of course syllabus too :D)

Don't know about B.Sc and BCA. However B.Sc is more technical I guess while the later is bit related to management too.

Ofcourse I am not including the Masters Courses in the discussion. They are for comparison.

Anyway, I understand that IT and CSE are almost the same. Then what about BCA and B.Sc(CS) ?

Are they any different from engineering based computer science courses ?
What about years of study ? I hear they are 3 years each ?

And whats the employability difference between BE(CSE/IT), ME(CSE/IT), BSc(CS), MSc(CS), BCA and MCA ? Obviously ME would fetch the most money and have highest status, but what about other courses ?

I am sort of confused because of the wide variety of choices available to get a career in computing. My primary aim is a B.Tech (CSE/IT) from an IIT, an NIT, DA-IICT or VIT. But for alternatives, I don't know where to look.

vandit

In the zone
Well although bca guys are taught more of the core domain subjects of CP/IT ; they end up getting less employment opportunities than the BE/Btech guys.
Also do consider the NITs and BITS pilani before the IIITs and the options you gave are certainly the best you can get.

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
^^^
dumb thread :p ..... but natural coz you are abt to start the college studies.... :D....

1. BTECH and BE....

Both these are same tbh in INDIA only... In india Btech can only be given by Tier 1 inst like IIT and the sorts... but lots of other univs of Tier 2 gives that. I am one form them.

The difference between them is the course structure... i have cousins and friend from abroad a lot...their average Btech course will kick our Top BE course, content/Project/Style wise.

But in india either one... is ok....

2. CS & IT....

CS.... most subjects are about SCIENCE behind the different Main sections is Computers... like compilers..OS..Hardware...PM.... DS.... and some Langauges..... very few i may say... Introduced in univs before IT.

IT.... the perfect balance between science and application levels..... some HR DO prefer CS coz of the fact that they may be suitable for more indepth and R7D related work.... dunno wether its true... I am CS....

3. BSC / BCA ...

BCA is the best one for job oriented not BSC.... if they say i am wrong i say STFU.... i know coz i am in the industry and i know like a 15 personal examples...... BSC are more suited for teaching.... and ITes works.... some mnc's hire them and give training for 2 years and make them give bonds for another 3 years and less pay ...so go figure.....

but after BCA you have to go for MCA... its a must....

Ok now All this become a moot point and you actually got a job in a IT MNC with a BSC/Msc or BCA/MCA..... You work hard for 5 years and be a Sr S/w Engg... and the guy with BE/Btech become one in 2.5~3years without breaking a sweat.... and the same pay....

Thanks. THATS the type of answer I am looking for.

And btw, If I end up with a Mechanical seat in an NIT and an IT/CS seat in another collage, can I do Mech and then do MCA through correspondance ? Is it worth it ?

And how is DA-IICT ? *www.da-iict.org/ I have applied for their B.Tech in ICT program. Is it a good choice ? How hard is it to get selected there ?

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
Well... one have to be a total aimless guy to be do a mech and then a MCA....

who would do that???..... its not worth it...thats not a qn....

well no one does a mech if they want to go into IT..they just cam to IT coz no other alternative...just do some courses if you like..thats all needed.....

and a mech in a NIt is 3L337 ....

thats a like a new college....maybe some top companies may come for placement....thats bt it...

i dont think the cream students will opt for it...

In Pune university, BE (IT) and BE (CSE) are technically the same. 36 out of total 38 subjects of IT and CSE are the same! (of course syllabus too :D)

Don't know about B.Sc and BCA. However B.Sc is more technical I guess while the later is bit related to management too.

Same case in Tamil Nadu .... like i said before in some post 95% of the subjects are similar in both IT and CSC streams
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
Yeah but what about BSc/MSc and BCA/MCA ? Whats their SCOPE ?

Here you need to consider 'Degree recognition' ...... BE/Btech degrees get a better recognition when compared with BSC/BCA etc ..... And also like somebody pointed out they get the cream of job packages/Faculty/resources etc

And most big companies state that they will only accept people who have a 4 year degree in the related field for top technical positions such as software Enginner .

BE/Btech has lesser recognition compared to BS
and
BSc has even lesser recognition compared BE/Btech
Posted again:
Are they any different from engineering based computer science courses ?
What about years of study ? I hear they are 3 years each ?
correct BE/BTech - 4 years
BSc/BCA-3 years

And whats the employability difference between BE(CSE/IT), ME(CSE/IT), BSc(CS), MSc(CS), BCA and MCA ? Obviously ME would fetch the most money and have highest status, but what about other courses ?
correct
BE+ME will fetch you a high pay package and also a chance to get into research ....Very good option if you are interested in technical research

BE+work experience(optional, International Institutes only)+MBA will fetch you the highest pay package in the computer field +managerial position

I am sort of confused because of the wide variety of choices available to get a career in computing. My primary aim is a B.Tech (CSE/IT) from an IIT, an NIT, DA-IICT or VIT. But for alternatives, I don't know where to look.
I would recommend the same
Posted again:
^^^

2. CS & IT....

CS.... most subjects are about SCIENCE behind the different Main sections is Computers... like compilers..OS..Hardware...PM.... DS.... and some Langauges..... very few i may say... Introduced in univs before IT.

IT.... the perfect balance between science and application levels..... some HR DO prefer CS coz of the fact that they may be suitable for more indepth and R7D related work.... dunno wether its true... I am CS....

Its not true .... i am IT and having compared our syllabus with CSC guys from my institute i can say that the difference is negligible

We too have studied
Computer Architecture
Operating systems
Object oriented analysis and design
Microprocessors and micro controllers
Data Structures
Visual programming
etc etc and all such major CSC subjects .....and we also have a bit of ECE subjects such as Principles of communications,signals and system and Digital signal procressing thrown in .....
We also have some subjects exclusive to IT such as
Cryptography and network Security
Network programming and management etc etc etc
Posted again:
And btw, If I end up with a Mechanical seat in an NIT and an IT/CS seat in another collage, can I do Mech and then do MCA through correspondance ? Is it worth it ?
?

very bad idea .... correspondence courses have even lesser recognition
and A UG and PG from a different field is def not advisable
Recognition comes into play when you are
1. Applying for a job
2. Applying for a PG degree abroad or in a prestigious college in India
3. Applying for Phd

Last edited:
Also do consider the NITs and BITS pilani before the IIITs and the options you gave are certainly the best you can get.

According to last year's univ rankings in India ..... IITs(most branches) had the highest rank , BITS came next followed by Anna Univ .... the rest followed .....

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
All are same when u r really interested i Computer Science
Take whatever course u r getting related to ur interested field
Posted again:
Don;t xpect anything special in teaching faculty...ther are bit normal and not as much u expect in iits,nits,etc
u need to learn inderpendently...thats what my engg undergrad taught me in ma first year

Last edited:

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
Its not true .... i am IT and having compared our syllabus with CSC guys from my institute i can say that the difference is negligible

We too have studied
Computer Architecture
Operating systems
Object oriented analysis and design
Microprocessors and micro controllers
Data Structures
Visual programming
etc etc and all such major CSC subjects .....and we also have a bit of ECE subjects such as Principles of communications,signals and system and Digital signal procressing thrown in .....
We also have some subjects exclusive to IT such as
Cryptography and network Security
Network programming and management etc etc etc

Well...in indian there is a hundred universities.... you have to think abt that....

one univ doesnt change the fact... i have checked with 3 main univs in kerala.....

Kerala...cochin....MG..... and its true to a extent....

Crypto and N/w security CSE for Kerla have as elcetives...so does the other univs....
so does N/w prgramming labs....

see..thats the difference between university levels....

oh! i had forgotten to enquire about their (csc ) electives ....May be the have it too

But generally B.Tech/BE may differ slightly between universities but its a very standardised degree ..... Univs have to follow certain standard if they want their degrees to be recognised ... and i remember a guy (in this thread) from Pune university saying that there too the difference b/w CSC and IT streams were negligible ....

Bottom line is that they are more are less similar ....
Posted again:
Don;t xpect anything special in teaching faculty...ther are bit normal and not as much u expect in iits,nits,etc
u need to learn inderpendently...thats what my engg undergrad taught me in ma first year

Agreed
if you study in good univs like IIT /BITS or Anna you will have to do most of the studying yourself ...its very different from school .....
But that does nt mean the quality of your faculty can be ignored ...

generally in such universities as mentioned above ...... Quality of the faculty will completely determine how well you understand your subject ..... most of the professors from such univs have done research in their respective subjects and as a result are subject experts ... hence students from these univs are really more knowledgable than their counterparts from other univs ......

Last edited:
According to last year's univ rankings in India ..... IITs(most branches) had the highest rank , BITS came next followed by Anna Univ .... the rest followed .....
What ? Anna University is higher placed than NITs ? :shock:
How do I apply for it ? I am a resident of karnataka for 10 years but my mom is native and has done all her degrees from TN.

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
Did anyone of you heard of Bengal Institute of Technocrats. They are awarding BTech degree on successful completion of Aeronautical Engineering in their college. Is it a good college? When will the admission forms will be out? Please tell.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom