Status
Not open for further replies.

demoninside

In the zone
dude search the forum first,

here we hv a thread running with the best distro for newbies or something check that out,

and yes linux is free so i don't think u need to pay any thing,
personally i will suggest u to go for Mandrake

OP
D

deadmanrulz

Broken In
Thanks Guys.... Which are the linux distros that cost???

anyway i found a lot of information from this forum.... great forum

ujjwal

Padawan
Distributions like Redhat(fedora), Suse, Mandrake have both free and paid versions, whereas some like Debian, Slackware, Gentoo are completely free.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
firewall said:
Nemesis said:
Not all Linux distros are free ;)

Please explain it a bit. How can you say that LINUX is not Free software as long as its released under GNU/GPL ?

:)

You have to pay for distros like SuSE and Enterprise versions of RedHat, don't you? I just wanted to say that although there are a tons of free distros available, there are some distros that you have to pay money for (to get them legally :D). That's all

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Nemesis said:
I just wanted to say that although there are a tons of free distros available, there are some distros that you have to pay money for (to get them legally :D). That's all
The price that RedHat/SuSE/Others charge is not for software. Its for the CD pack, Shiny Box, printed Manuals, and telephone support. Once their Distro is with you, you can replicate it to your hearts contents and no one will say a word.

Legally, RedHat cannot stop one from copying/redistributing their commercial versions. Because their commercial products contain 98% software from independent software authors which have individual licenscing, mostly GPL

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
What about the Enterprise editions? I was thinking about them :D Even though I know the thread starter won't need them, I was refering to those distros when I said not all are free. Again, support is not free as you mentioned. But I guess that doesn't matter much!! Or does it?

When you said you can copy and distribute their commercial versions, did you mean even Enterprise editios?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
You can copy, and redistribute ANY and ALL Commercial / Enterprise distributions if you have a copy of it. However in case you plan to do a single modification, you have to remove all of the RedHat's logos, trademark symbols, contact email addresses, documentation, etc. from the remastered version. This is a case of Trademark law, and RedHat is justified to protect its brandname image.

We had quite a long discussion on this topic, and here's the clarification if one cares to read:
*gnowledge.org/pipermail/linuxers/Week-of-Mon-20050404/019136.html
It is not illegal to redistribute gpld software. Irrespective of ANY contract you may have signed. If the contract restricts your rights as assigned to you by the GPL, the right of the first party (RedHat in this case) to distribute GPLed software is automatically cancelled.

firewall

In the zone
GNUrag said:
It is not illegal to redistribute gpld software. Irrespective of ANY contract you may have signed. If the contract restricts your rights as assigned to you by the GPL, the right of the first party (RedHat in this case) to distribute GPLed software is automatically cancelled.

Yes Thats the bottom line !!!

:)

tuxfan

Technomancer
Poor chap deadmanrulz wanted to know which distro would be easiest for him and here we have bombarded him with so many technicalities :shock: and terminologies :shock:

Why not just say whether he should go for Mandrake, Debian, Fedora, SuSE, PCQL, Gentoo, etc.? :roll:

As always, I will suggest PCQ Linux 2005. Its doesn't cost much. Only Rs. 125. You can take March 2005 issue of PCQ from its web-site *www.pcquest.com. Support is available thru their magazine and forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom