Basic Sturdy PC required

vindance1

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:
24*7 downloading, Surfing, MS office (heavy excel work), Trading softwares (not CPU or RAM intensive), watching movies, playing ONLY following games: starcraft;command and conquer series; some other RTS games. (gaming is least priority).

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:
25 K (+- 5K)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:
NO

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:
Windows XP

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:
500GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:
Monitor is required. (1920*1080 is a must). Bigger the better.
Also suggest: I have a 32 inch LD550 LG LCD TV which can be used as a monitor. What issues I might face if I use it as a monitor? Is the life of an LCD TV lesser than a monitor?

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:
I dont need speakers (have logitech Z623), keyboard (logitech basic), UPS (no powercuts :)), Graphics card (dont want one).

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:
I have not done before but will assemble myself. (of course will ask for help in this forum :))

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:
Will be visiting Gurgaon on 17th, plan to buy from there or nearby.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
* Please tell me from where to buy around delhi. Since I am visiting there, I need a reputed store and genuine products. Cant take chances.
* I am inclined towards Intel build as I will be running my system 24*7 (power consumption and heating issues)
* Absolutely no graphics card.
* I want my system to be fast as I work heavily on excel (I find my dual core 2 gb laptop insufficient)
* I want a very sturdy system.

Please suggest...

ASHISH65

Technomancer
i3 4130 @ 7.5k

Gigabyte H81 @ 3.7k

Kingston 4gb hyperx blue/red 1600mhz @ 2.4k

WD cavier Blue 500GB @ 3k

Antec BP300p psu @ 1.8k

Dell s2240l ips led @ 8.6k

Asus 24x Dvd @ 1k

CM Elite 311 Cabinet @ 2.2k

Total @ 30.2k

You can use this rig with your Lcd Monitor :)

OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
Got it. Please enlighten me with the following:

* if I go for I5 4440 instead of i3, will it make much of a difference for my usage.
* if I go for 8 GB of RAM instead of 4, will it make much difference..
* should I get 2*2 or 4*1 GB stick of RAM (does it make any difference)
* is "Antec BP300p psu" sturdy enough or should I get corsair

Please suggest..

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Got it. Please enlighten me with the following:

* if I go for I5 4440 instead of i3, will it make much of a difference for my usage.
* if I go for 8 GB of RAM instead of 4, will it make much difference..
* should I get 2*2 or 4*1 GB stick of RAM (does it make any difference)
* is "Antec BP300p psu" sturdy enough or should I get corsair

Please suggest..

> No at all,Stick with i3.... i5 is a gaming cpu

>For your Usage 4gb is more than enough

>Get 1 x 4gb stick as it will cheaper

>Antec BP300P is more than enough :)

OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
Thank you. my doubts are cleared. I also need help with :

* please also suggest a mouse for general use

* what connector I need to buy to connect my system to my LCD TV (it has 4 HDMI port)

* do i need to buy anything else like cables/connectors etc (to be used during assembling)..

if you have any other suggestions please mention.

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

* what connector I need to buy to connect my system to my LCD TV (it has 4 HDMI port)

* do i need to buy anything else like cables/connectors etc (to be used during assembling)..

get logitech mk200 combo(includes k/band mouse). or you can consider lenovo m6811 mouse which is a very good mouse and available at 0.7k.

> All cables will be included except an HDMI cable. If you don't have one, make sure you get a high quality cable as low cable quality have many problems.

> Which motheboard have you decided (just to see if it has HDMI port).

OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
as per the suggestion given above "Gigabyte H81". Does it have HDMI port or would you suggest any other MB.

also suggest an alternative RAM (Kingston 4gb hyperx blue/red 1600mhz), in case if it is not available.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
as per the suggestion given above "Gigabyte H81". Does it have HDMI port or would you suggest any other MB.

also suggest an alternative RAM (Kingston 4gb hyperx blue/red 1600mhz), in case if it is not available.

gigabyte h81m hd3 has hdmi, but i dont know the price. gigabyte h81. s2pv does not have hdmi and is available at around 4k.
if kingston ram is not available , get gskill ripjawsX or corsair vengeance.

> Not sure where is that board available. Can someone give any pointers?

> G.Skill RipjawsX. Kingston hyperX Blu is generally cheaper and provides same performance. Look for it at Flipkart. It's cheapest there.

OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
I found the following HDMI MB:

GA-H81M-HD2
GA-H81M-HD3
GA-H81M-S2PH
GA-H81M-H rev 1.1
Which one should I opt for? also depends upon availability in Nehru Place, Delhi

How is this PSU - "Corsair VS350 350 Watt PSU "
is it bettr than Antec BP300p psu?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I found the following HDMI MB:

GA-H81M-HD2
GA-H81M-HD3
GA-H81M-S2PH
GA-H81M-H rev 1.1
Which one should I opt for? also depends upon availability in Nehru Place, Delhi

How is this PSU - "Corsair VS350 350 Watt PSU "
is it bettr than Antec BP300p psu?

get any mobo which is under your budget. for psu choose antec bp300p anyday over corsair vs350.

OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
OK guys. Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I am off to new delhi tomorrow morning. will post pics once i return with my system.

Final Config:

Intel Core i3-4130 CPU
GA-H81M-HD2 / GA-H81M-HD3 / GA-H81M-S2PH / GA-H81M-H
Kingston 4gb hyperx blue/red 1600mhz
WD cavier Blue 500GB
Antec BP300p psu
Asus 24x Dvd
CM Elite 311 Cabinet
lenovo m6811 mouse

I am dropping the monitor, will use HDMI cable to connect to my 32" LCD.

OP
V

vindance1

Journeyman
Hi friends,

I got my PC.
Here are the details:

Intel i3 4130 7900.00
MB-ASROCK H81 HDS 3900.00 (any gigabyte MB with HDMI was not available)
Kingston Hyper X Blue 1600 mhz 4GB * 1 - 2790.00
Antec power supply 450w 1900.00 (300w was not available)
Antec X1 cabinet 2150.00
(antec power supply has short wires and cooler master 311 was not able to accommodate it)
WD Green 1 TB 3800.00 (Blue was not available)
HP DVD RW 1000.00 (ASUS was not available)
HDMI cable Dell 400.00 (Astrom was there, I did not took it)
Logitech wireless mouse 660.00

All the peripherals are purchased from Computer Empire, Nehru place. (Prices of cost to cost computers were little high after adding the 5% tax).

How is the motherboard and cabinet I have chosen?? (deviated from original config)..

Top Bottom