BareTorrent - an open source torrent client with the simplicity that uTorrent used to have.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
uTorrent is slowly turning into bloat and coming with unnecessary features.

So, say hello to a new light weight open source alternative : BareTorrent.

baretorrent

Nue

Looks promising but seeing how this is a fairly new client, it'll take some time before private trackers allow it, and thus won't be usable for me until then. I hope the development continues and it becomes stable enough to be trusted. At the moment, I'm fairly content with Deluge.

Theodre

In the zone
What's the problem uTorrent BTW?

Because it's just turning into a bloatware and it's now goes against the same goal with which it was built on - "Being Lightweight"!!!

Am in Office so any website with torrent in the Address cannot be accessed :D

But you could also look into qbittorrent also... :) (i will check baretorrent - thanks :) )

sujeet2555

In the zone
i use bittorrent. but it also is becoming bloatware with unnecessary features.still using old bittorrent client .now going to try baretorrent .

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
uTorrent can be set up to be MOST disk friendly I guess by tweaking its cache settings. This much of tweaking is not allowed by any other client that I know of.

I can set the cache to 1024 MB, I can set it to write only when a piece is complete, I can set it to retain all the disk reads in the cache so that subsequent reads will happen from RAM than disk (until the cache is full at least)
As I run my client only when I am not actively using the computer for anything else and my PC has 3 GB RAM, I have been happy with it.

I will try any other client only if it has this feature.

I really liked Azureus / Vuze but being based on Java its cache is limited to 256 MB :(

A bittorrent client that is lightweight but still feature packed is welcome. Hope baretorrent becomes one.

-------------------------

EDIT:

I am downloading it as of now. For a "bare"torrent, it is considerably anything other than that at 14.44 MB!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom