Bad News for Winamp lovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

indrajit

Journeyman
sreevirus said:
hehe...i gave up amp ever since version 3....its a real resource hog...now, i just use QCD or foobar2000 special version or wxmusik

Just try the latest version. I think you'll feel the same way as we do!

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
damn dat's real sad :cry: . i have been using since 2.xx. actually rarely used 3 but now using 5. Even now it's playing as i am typing here :(. *sob* *sob*
BTW QCD is cool.

..:: peace ::.
Jeba

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Ya man tats really bad but hey were getting skins so no probs for me tho. But its sad man winamp gone.
Hey I tried foobar its cr@p man batty has ur mind gone to the drains no skins nothing playlist $ux royally man its too bad i don't like it.

G

gxsaurav

I tried QCD player, but it isn't as good as Winamp,

I didn't like the skinning engine if QCD, first we can't use Winamp skins with it, then the QCD player doesn't supports alpha blending in the Skins, third the Winamp DSP plugins like DFX don't work even if they claim it works

Hey, but I think Winamp is not compleately dead, AOL had a Media Player named AOL Media player whose beta I tried, it looks a lot like Winamp, maybe it's the same code, & now AOL is using AMp to make some money

This is just a guess, maybe, AOL is taking the Winamp code, & converting it to a compleate Media Player, remember Winamp even supports Video files, so it's like we will soon have AMP or AOL Media Player, which will be based on Winamp code, but will be commercial, it will have all the features & skinning engine of Winamp, I hope for the same & freeform engine of Winamp. I have a screenshot of it

*www.sapartyboys.com/amp.jpg

As U can see it looks a lot like itunes, I mean UI wise, so maybe Winamp isn't dead compleately

G

gxsaurav

& here is the page for AOL Media Player

*stream.info.aol.com/aolmedia.html

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
NikhilVerma said:
sreevirus said:
hehe...i gave up amp ever since version 3....its a real resource hog...now, i just use QCD or foobar2000 special version or wxmusik

d00d!!

download the version 5 it's really fast and has many features...

indrajit said:
sreevirus said:

i have tried v. 5.04 and i had it installed on my PC till last month...and i wasnt just bluffing when i said it was a resource hog...it comes in second after WMP....amp used to suck up 12 to 24 mb of memory while WMP still uses upto 28 to 30 mb (sometimes even more)...
and i didnt feel the need to have winamp installed when i cud do many things together with QCD/foobar2000 playing gr8 quality music. i really dont care much abt skins...i just like to hear good music, the looks of the player is a second priority....and QCD skins arent bad at all...
and both QCD and foobar use upto a max of 3.4 mb while playing the music (when minimised to tray, foobar uses only a little bit greater than 1 mb)...so, i wud naturally prefer these over winamp. the interface of foobar may not ppeal to everyone, but u get loads of gr8 funcionalities in foobar (the special version offers even more functions), only u must experiment with it...
ah well, to each his choice....:)

djmykey said:
Hey I tried foobar its cr@p man batty has ur mind gone to the drains no skins nothing playlist $ux royally man its too bad i don't like it.
no mike, he has his brains in place (ya, i know most of the times its out of place but...;) )try foobar special...it sorts the playlist properly...
who needs skins when u can change the colors...heres how i made my foobar look like:
*img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/sreevirus/foo1.jpg
*img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/sreevirus/foo2.jpg

OP
alib_i

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
it_waaznt_me said:
Bah .. Use Foobar or QCD Player ...

I dont even have WinAmp installed :p ...

bad ..

Winamp is not fot ppl whu love to skin their players more than playing songs on them
I'm a muzic freak .. i love listening to songs and no player matches the speeds and simplicity of winamp

the best part of winamp is that you can take winamp to any level of perfection using plugins ..
no player can match winamp's skills if proper plugins are installed
and yet u can always have the no-resource-hogging -dead-simple and fast media player
i play real media too in winamp

and sreevirus ..
just keep winamp5 in classic skin ..
u can use all its features
and still the memory usage is minimal

djmykey

Let the music play.....
hey cmon sree it doesnt hog ram im using it on modern skins man it rox cmon.

Sreevirus wrote:

no mike, he has his brains in place (ya, i know most of the times its out of place but...Wink )try foobar special...it sorts the playlist properly...
who needs skins when u can change the colors...heres how i made my foobar look like

Hey i tried foobar 2000 its playlist was not good at all. Winamp has the most flexible playlist. Drag and drop a file into the list and it gets enqued but foobar its not like that u gotta go thru menus and stuff thats y i told that. And yes i like a cute player rather than a player that looks like another explorer window open and playing songs.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Really sad to know Winamp die.... many media players for Linux (X11AMP , XMMS) were based on Winamp , they also supported winamp skins...

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
sreevirus said:
NikhilVerma said:
sreevirus said:

d00d!!

download the version 5 it's really fast and has many features...

indrajit said:
sreevirus said:

i have tried v. 5.04 and i had it installed on my PC till last month...and i wasnt just bluffing when i said it was a resource hog...it comes in second after WMP....amp used to suck up 12 to 24 mb of memory while WMP still uses upto 28 to 30 mb (sometimes even more)... /quote]

U must be joking. only 28 mb? In my comp it uses 76 mb and also 74% cpu of p4. It has simplicity but resource management is crap. I use 3 players viz qtime for .mov and such, winamp for audio and wm10 for video. Also bink for bink files. Qtime has the best video qualtiy. If I try to see game trailers using winamp the the framerate is very very bad. Its like playing high end game on low end pc. I shows wrong length of files for VBR mp3s while qtime and other show the correct length. But still I use winamp becoz of getting used to it since v2.7 and I also that I have knowledge about only winamps equaliser. I don't know how to fine tune other equalisers. Winamps very bad for video.

So please give me some alternatives.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Also forgot to mention. It is the only player in background which doesn't allow u play games with decent framerate. I had avg scanning my sytem without affecting my framerate. Well there is Real player too which i don't use becoz it is bugged.

Winamp for me is more as a cult nothings gonna replace it.
Been using it for the past 6-7 years.
It sang wen i passed 10th 12th all my engg days.
The sound and feel of winamp with izotope will never ever be recreated by any other shitty player.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
beyondthegracefgod said:
Winamp for me is more as a cult nothings gonna replace it.
Been using it for the past 6-7 years.
It sang wen i passed 10th 12th all my engg days.
The sound and feel of winamp with izotope will never ever be recreated by any other **** player.

Being emotional and nostalgic about it? I will try other players and there is a possibilty that other players will be better. Then I can switch over leaving behind emotional people with their oudated players.

[deXter]

Journeyman
djmykey said:
Hey i tried foobar 2000 its playlist was not good at all. Winamp has the most flexible playlist. Drag and drop a file into the list and it gets enqued but foobar its not like that u gotta go thru menus and stuff thats y i told that. And yes i like a cute player rather than a player that looks like another explorer window open and playing songs.
Eh, what are you talking about? Foobar2000 does support drag and drop and its playlist is as flexible as winamp's. And besides why do you even want to look at a player? Aren't we supposed to listen to songs? My fb runs completly in the background, and I fully control it with my keyboard (I used my num pad keys, plus the multimedia keys my keyboard came with). So now I can just simply enjoy my songs- insead of worrying about looks, windows, playlists etc.

-----

About Winamp 5, it is really sad that happened. Blame it on AOL.
I'm mainly worried not for Winamp, but for NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System). In my opinion NSIS is the best install maker ever- The biggest advantage it has over all others is that its easy to use, small, less overhead and has really good compression. I do hope that NSIS will continue to be developed and improved.

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/dextersgenius/signature1.gif

G

gxsaurav

NSIS, well quite good, But I still prefer Windows Installer 2.0 & now 3.0, da best

NSIS doesn't revart the PC back to it's original state when the Program is uninstalled, while Windows installer does, besides compression rate depends on the maker, he can use dam high compression rate but it will take more time to encode the file, still less time to decode

AOL, GO TO HELL

Although, i thing for sure, i will use the AMP if it comes out as standalone, after removing the AOL junk

saROMan

QA Juggler
bad really bad......Foobar.....WMP...QCD...r crap....Winamp Rulez....
i hav been using winamp 2,3.5 ....its a bad news for a Avid Lover of Winamp....:(:(:(:(:(:(

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
hmmm....i dont winamp...its QCD and WMP10 4 me...and WMP is using less than 10MB right now (unless it also has another process running that i dont know abt)....here is a screenshot:
*img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/firecracker123/taskmanager.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom