Backlash over Google move to change privacy settings

Tech&ME

Banned
"Critics have hit out at Google's decision to merge personal data from YouTube, Gmail, search, social network Google+ and dozens of other services.

Forthcoming changes to privacy settings will see data shared across all these platforms. Users cannot opt out of the changes."

Read the complete story here

PRIVACY on the internet is now taking a different turn, more commercial approach by giants...... :neutral:

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
The integration of Google services means the content will be more customized to the users choices in the terms of Ads and searches etc.
That is Google will look different for each individual.

noob

Cyborg Agent
not an expert...but i dont see anything wrong in it...they are trying to integrate all their services(e.g 1 Google profile to access all G services etc) and might need to have all of them cover under common policy....even MS has same..i dont see any issue here as long as my identity is protected, which it already is since the start.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
I would say this is actually a good move which will reduce the amount of spam everyone get in gmail & youtube IMO.

I've seen the kind of comments this has got on several international forums. I have just one question: SO WHAT ??

Here is a company that offers you services for free that you previously never had thought of using or had to pay for. No service is being denied to you. They are just changing the way they store your data to increase their advertising revenue. It does not affect your privacy in any way.

If you dislike it, opt out.

If you think gmail has way too much of critical confidential information, you never should have used a public email service in the first place. You should instead have set up your own email server at home.

If you are embarrassed about what you say on Facebook and Google+, you should not be using social networking sites, instead start writing a DIARY. And for Charles Babbage's sake, keep it well hidden....

sygeek

Technomancer
Well, some people are more privacy conscious, some are less. Google is too much in our lives, we can't "just opt-out".

Personally, I ditched most of the Google services except mail and reader and that's the best I can do.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
They have not changed privacy settings, only integrated them across most of their products :shrug:

Good move by google. Let the new settings come in to effect. I will ensure that my account privacy remains as it is.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
We cannot act as if Google is forcing us to use its services . We use them because they are that good.And nope we don't even pay a single paisa for that. However To top it we do rant about the privacy issues as if it is Inherent duty of Google to provide us with free services forever without looking into means to provide those to us.

Its time we understand our exact position in the context of this world. Its a very small change,not worth nothing for a free service provider.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
There IS no privacy issue- Google has explicitly stated that the privacy quality remains the same- only the legalese has become more readable and uniform.

Top Bottom