Avast slowing down

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
Hey friends, m running Avast professional on my config mentioned in my signature.

This is slowing down the boot up time of my lappy too much. It almost requires an extra minute to be ready to work. I also run Mcafee firewall which launches at startup.

Anythng which is less taxing and faster than these two????????

My comp is always connected to net so need these two to always initialise at startup.Any suggestions?

Is Mcafee antivirus faster than avast, at starting of windows ??

mediator

Technomancer
Hey dipsite! May be the firewall be slowing the system!
Neways I use Kaspersky,Zonealarm configuration. And mah PC been running smoothly over 1.5 yrs. The startup is extremely fast and that too on mah over 3yr old PC with 2.4 GHz/512 MB Ram config. So try kaspersky instead avast!
U shud also apply autopatcher as it has a lotta tweaks + use "Tune Up utilites", its a great software to increase ur system speed!

anandk

Distinguished Member
even i think maybe its ur mcafee which must be sowing down ur startup. avast starts up fast enuf, compared to it mcafee av which takes up more resources. s

uggest u stick to avast, and remove mcafee fw from ur startups-use it only ven on the net.

deepak.krishnan

In the zone
It is funny. I have been using Avast for more than 2 years and it has improved the perfomance and the boot-up time has decrease by about 10 seconds. I was using AVG before and Norton before that.
Morover in the Digit tests it has been found that Avast decreases the boot-up time by 12 seconds.
So I dont think Avast is your problem!

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Make sure that there is an entry for avast! in the firewall!

Also try to disable following option in avast! settings:

"Test Memory during startup"

and "Scan dynamic libraries on load" in Standard Shield settings.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
I have been using Avast for more than two years without any problem and it is actually fast compared to others and has very frequent updates.
But recently I have been experiencing compatiblility probems of Avast with Zone Alarm and so have shifted to AVG Free. But for this problem, (which I heard they are trying to sort out) I would have continued with Avast.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
I think avast+Mc afee combination doesnt work ...They are not like "RAM AND LAXMAN":D ..Try keeping either one of them ;)

OP
A

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
No i dont have any spyware infection. Scan it every week with Spybot and Adaware on u ppl's advice.
The comp becomes quite fast if i disable all Mcafee n Avast services n remove them frm startup. So m sure its due to these both.
NOW???????

And yes, boot up time is not very slow, bt its quite fast if i remove them :)

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
ashu_dps said:
Can any one please suggest a good combo for this purpoose, which doesnt slows the system ????
Always use some firewall+AV and dnt use 2 AV coz it reduces the perfomance of ur comp ;) and dont go for some nice AV+security suite coz thats even more worse i feel:)

OP
A

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
Thats right, i always use one firewall n one antivirus bt have seen some paranoids swearing by their 2 AVs ;)

anywayz m using Mcafee Firewall, is their anything which u ppl wl reccomend for being a bit quicker to load

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
ashu_dps said:
Thats right, i always use one firewall n one antivirus bt have seen some paranoids swearing by their 2 AVs ;)

anywayz m using Mcafee Firewall, is their anything which u ppl wl reccomend for being a bit quicker to load

USE
AVG Anti-Virus Plus Firewall

*www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Plus-Firewall/3000-2239_4-10464372.html?tag=lst-0-5

OP
A

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
rakeshishere said:
USE
AVG Anti-Virus Plus Firewall

*www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Plus-Firewall/3000-2239_4-10464372.html?tag=lst-0-5

Bt u only said naa that these suites are worse than seprate ones ??????

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
ashu_dps said:
Bt u only said naa that these suites are worse than seprate ones ??????

Its not a combination of suites+AV+firewalls but only an AV which includes a firewall ..U just saw the name and posted ur comment ..Read its description

AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall Edition is the ideal product to protect your single home PC or workstation from external threats such as viruses, the Internet, and other network users. It is simple to install and operate. No IT expertise is required and it can run in the background. All unauthorized network activity is blocked automatically, allowing you to get on with your work without worrying about external attacks. All file and e-mail activity is continually scanned to eliminate the threat of viruses. It is extremely fast, reliable and light on resources, so, no matter how demanding a user you are, it will not slow down your performance.
Version 7.1.362 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom