Automatic Updates isn't the best way to protect yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
ya ! automatic updates isn't the best way to protect yourself if you want the latest patches as soon as possible !

if u have automatic updates 'on', chances are high that ur pc may download and install, what are known as MS06-040 patches, immediately. however, automaticupdates may not start downloading most patches until three days after Patch Tuesday ! it's understandable that microsoft would want MS06-040 to be installed on as many people's PCs as possible before downloading any other patches.

for complete novices, who have little knowledge of Windows, its best they leave automatic updates turned on and hope for the best. but more experienced windows users, manually visiting the update site or installing a third-party patch-management program remains the better option.

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
the disadvantage on using site *windowsupdate.62nds.com/
is that (i quote the site) "There is a delay from when new updates are released from Microsoft to when they appear on this site". it then defeats the very purose of updating on time !

hemant:
NetChk Protect has a one-year free trial version
*www.shavlik.com/netchk-protect.aspx

there r other patch mgmt tools too, but i dont see the need to use one. i manually update :)

check out this cool link *www.windowssecrets.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom