Auto Choosing Mirrors in Debian Sid KDE 3.5.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run Debian Sid with KDE 3.5.x. I want a way to automatically choose a mirror with the best speed, via a GUI as simple as Ubuntu's feature in synaptic, which lists all the mirrors.

How do I do it ?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
*packages.debian.org/search?keywords=netselect-apt
*linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/05/using-netselect-apt-tip-to-select.html

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I heard someone mentioning that you could use the rankmirror script by making slight modifications to it. However I haven't done it or I don;t know how valid this suggestion is so you might want to check that.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^yeah Parka123 :D

but AFAIR there is automatic mirror selecting in Debian too, synaptic has the option

For obvious reasons, my experiments with Debian are proving rather bad. Debian Sid KDE is one really really great OS to have if I need just a single OS with a one thing fits all tag, but I feel it would be much much better to have a dual boot of Ubuntu Gnome and Arch KDEmod. Hopefully, when I make my next HDD upgrade, I would be triple or quad or penta booting my PC :D

praka123

left this forum longback
I have dual boot currently :p although ,Debian is what I use 99%. 2nd is ubuntu .

and why not use netselect ? .there wont be any big diff in speed.currently ,I have german mirror which is up2date. :)

and why not use netselect ? .there wont be any big diff in speed.currently ,I have german mirror which is up2date. :)
fug those nazis. they give speed that looks high in the begening, but it keeps fluctuating and finally gets reduced to 8kbps. :mad:

big difference in speed what ? are you talking about arch ? I want to know KDEmod Arch vs Gnome Debian. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom