• saves money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no need

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scharupa

Right off the assembly line
Is it going to benefit the end user in case some one implements the Audio jack on back of the GPU itself?

I know HDMI out port supports audio but we need HDMI supported display for that.

Is there any reason why AMD/Nvidia not yet implemented the dedicated Audio out pin on GPU itself? Is it not going to benefit the user?

Don't the feature really saves buying the external sound card?

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an AMD (ATi) graphic card and I can only talk about this. It has an HDMI output.

What the driver of my Graphic card (AMD HD 6950 2GB) does is, it routes the sound from the on-board sound controller to HDMI. Nothing else. No cable connection to the graphic card required.

It doesn't have any sort of sound chip which only a sound card has.

As far as nVidia cards are concerned, in the old days (don't know about now), to provide audio over HDMI, nVidia cards had to connect to the S/PDIF header on your sound card/motherboard.

See the cable coming out of the graphic card and connecting to the motherboard:
*i.imgur.com/u2o5Q.jpg (card in picture, nVidia 9800 GTX)

Is it going to benefit the end user in case some one implements the Audio jack on back of the GPU itself?

I know HDMI out port supports audio but we need HDMI supported display for that.

Is there any reason why AMD/Nvidia not yet implemented the dedicated Audio out pin on GPU itself? Is it not going to benefit the user?

Don't the feature really saves buying the external sound card?
As far as your question is concerned, they are graphic card companies, why would they need to do this? Almost every motherboard people buy has on-board audio and many ports (pin outs) at the back. These days motherboards are coming with optical S/PDIF connectors at the back. I don't see any point.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
only some high end custom made gpus from 3rd party manufacturers makes hybrid gpus like this - some gpus have high performance netwok chip on them -

Nvidia and AMD puts more concentration on making gpus only and they are not much interested in this kind of additional features which are not necessary for everyone.

Most of the users use the audio jacks present in mobo and that's just fine for most of the people - so theres really no point in adding audio ports / audio chip on a gfx card for the masses ;-)

Top Bottom