ATi Radeon HD 5450 doesn't take load in windows 7 OS where as it works perfectly in Windows 8

Dear All,

I had got a wrong advice and finally I bought ATi Radeon HD 5450 card in Dec 2011. At that time I was using windows 7. Having the latest drivers from AMD site, my GPU is not at all functioning well. Now I have Windows 8 also and after installing the latest drivers it is working perfectly well I mean I could watch large MKV file 1080p or 720p. But the same is not happening with Windows 7.

Recently I came to know about GPU-Z.0.6.8 software, which indicates the amount of load on GPU. I could notice my GPU load is around 60% in Windows 8 and 0% in Windows 7.

I don't know why this is happening like this. I had tried my level best with search engines but I couldn't find the reason.

Configuration:

Motherboard P5QPL-AM
Pentium 4 processor
4Gb RAM

Flash

Lost in speed
What's your catalyst version in Windows 7?
As suggested above, have you installed codecs?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Just using them won't put load on GPU, you need to enable GPU/Hardware Acceleration from the settings of the player you're going to use.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
catalyst centre requires dotnet frame work version 4.0 atleast where windows 7 comes with 3.5. Try to update to latest dotnet framework and see any difference.

pacificb0y

Broken In
You need to enable the hardware acceleration option

Tools > Preferences >
*img259.imageshack.us/img259/3701/vlc1.png

then Input and Codecs
*img441.imageshack.us/img441/3011/vlc2l.png

There you will find a check-box titled "Use GPU accelerated decoding". Tick that check-box and click Save.
*img90.imageshack.us/img90/7324/vlc3f.png

Now you will be able To play Your desired videos in HD format

You need to enable the hardware acceleration option

Tools > Preferences >

then Input and Codecs

There you will find a check-box titled "Use GPU accelerated decoding". Tick that check-box and click Save.

Now you will be able To play Your desired videos in HD format

This did not solve the problem. GPU Load fluctuates from 0% to 40% while playing HD movies. I could not find this kind of setting in Media Player Classic.

techfreak said:
Which media player are you using in Windows 7? There might be a problem with codecs.

I have tried latest VLC and MPC.

Gearbox said:
What's your catalyst version in Windows 7?
As suggested above, have you installed codecs?
I had updated Catalyst version from 13.1 to 13.3beta

Am I missing any simple thing??

pacificb0y

Broken In
This is a pretty Old Post but still help full ..
Accelerate x.264 1080p movies over the GPU Guide - Introduction

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - while you are on windows 7 playing a video ( mkv file ) and the gpu utilization is 0% what's the cpu utilization at that time ? And the video playing smooth enough ?

Played couple of mkv files with default settings of KMPlayer and SMPlayer - The cpu utilization is around 5-6 % of the players and gpu utilization were between 0-6% and I'm on win 8.

So the the video playback is smooth and your cpu utilization is below 25-50% then the gpu rendering is in effect. or else try the settings of CCC's Video quality options.

Dear All,

Thank you very much for the support Now this problem has been solved after reading the guide given by pacificb0y and making some changes in the player settings as suggested by that guide.

Top Bottom