ATI AMR motherboards coming very soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourabh

Laptoping
ATI AMR motherboards coming very soon

Here are the first pictures of RD-400, the dual-graphics solution from ATI that will compete with Nvidia's SLi.

This board was still 2 months away from release, but would support forthcoming graphics cards from ATI with a bridge connector. As with SLi, the ATI solution will deliver additional performance through the use of dual cards, rather than simply more monitors. The board will be for Intel processors, at least initially.

*www.bit-tech.net/images/feature/80/asus1.jpg

*www.bit-tech.net/images/feature/80/asus3.jpg

*www.bit-tech.net/images/feature/80/asus4.jpg

Find the whole article here

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
thats rich considering the amnt of time that the 6 series has been out in the market and been hoggin the market space :p Kind of like a "oh crap I have to come out with SLi too since nvidia has it and I better have my graphics card come out good too" reaction if you ask me :p

indro

In the zone
The way i see it , its good for every body , the consumers ,Intel ,ATI and as well as ULi for getting the aggrement on supplying the southbridge chips to ATI chipset motherboards ;)

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
icecoolz said:
thats rich considering the amnt of time that the 6 series has been out in the market and been hoggin the market space :p Kind of like a "oh **** I have to come out with SLi too since nvidia has it and I better have my graphics card come out good too" reaction if you ask me :p

Spoken like a true fanboy eh ! ice ;) j/k

But yes ATi has taken quite some time to come out with this. However SLI as most of us know is not a commercially viable option for most people. As a matter of fact most ppl wont even spend so much on video cards. This technology is only for the ultra-rich gamers/geeks/enthusiasts who regularly splurge on components. However the % of such customers is very small less than 2-3% while amrd 40-50% people fall under mid-segment and the rest use low end cards or onboard options.

funkymonkey

Journeyman
the way i see SLI is an option available for the end user.
Now a person like me who has A8N SLI honestly cant go out and spend money on 1 more 6800GT now.
But in future when new cards come, prices of 6800GT will really slash down.
Now at that time upgrading to new generation card will cost me like another 25-30K. But insted i will get cheap 6800GT for 10-15K and get the performance preety close or even beter than the flagship of that time.
So i can skip a generation, save 15-20K and invest in next generation :)
The thing i dont like about AMR and SLI is they will be propriority. SLI boards cannot take 2 ATI cards and work in AMR mode and Nvidia SLI wont work on AMR boards.
So you will have to choose the motherboard for the card you wana own which IMHO is nuts.
Wasent it enough we had different sockets for CPUs?
I loved good old days of P1,p2,p3 era with almost universal socket system.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
me fan boy ?? :shock: naaah :p Agreed with what funkeymonkey says. I think this might just lead to the proprietary technlogy route!!!

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
funkymonkey said:
the way i see SLI is an option available for the end user.
Now a person like me who has A8N SLI honestly cant go out and spend money on 1 more 6800GT now.
But in future when new cards come, prices of 6800GT will really slash down.
Now at that time upgrading to new generation card will cost me like another 25-30K. But insted i will get cheap 6800GT for 10-15K and get the performance preety close or even beter than the flagship of that time.
So i can skip a generation, save 15-20K and invest in next generation :)
The thing i dont like about AMR and SLI is they will be propriority. SLI boards cannot take 2 ATI cards and work in AMR mode and Nvidia SLI wont work on AMR boards.

But do remember that ATi/Nvidia will try to make their next cards significantly faster than the ones available today(the R520 is 3 times faster than the x800:speculation). And most enthusiasts wont even think twice before upgrading to the new technology rather than just buying another 6800GT or 6600GT. Also buying somethng like 2 6600Gts is not worth it imo since a single 6800GT shud be able 2 beat it @ higher resolutions and AA and AF settings. But then again Nvidia isnt quite churning out profiles for games quickly. Also unless i see significant advantages(and lower prices) for SLI i will tend to think its not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom