ASUS - M3N78EM or M3A78EM

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirazhansen

Broken In
Hi all,

I'm building an AMD machine and have narrowed down my mobo choices to these two - Asus M3A78EM (4900 Rs) and M3N78EM (4600 Rs).. Any suggestions on which one is better? The Asus site sez the M3A78EM has an HDMI port (Link), but this month's Digit has Agent 001 saying tht it doesnt.. which one's right?

The rest of the config is as follows :

CPU - Phenom 2 X4 920 (10200 Rs)
RAM - 2X2 GB Kingston (3200 Rs)
Asus DVD RW Dual layer (1900 Rs)
HDD - 1 TB Seagate (4900 Rs)

Thanks in advance.. :smile:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
My pick would be M3A78-EM. 780G is better for gaming and looks like the phase switching in M3A is better than that in M3N.

Also, check Gigabyte Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H And Gigabyte MA78GM-S2HP (with Dolby Live)

popularbhaskar

Journeyman
hi,
i have more or less the exact configuration.i bot them quite recently and dont have them in my hand yet. i will have that by next weekend. I can see how the performance is and let you know if u want..
my config:
AMD X4 920
OCZ 2*2 1066 MHZ
M3A78-EM

I will let you know once i have my pc setup...

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
@popularbhaskar : Ok, u're goin for the M3A.. any idea if it has an HDMI port? Also, where and for how much are u getting ur 1066 MHz RAM sticks?

@desiibond : I c u're usin the Gigabyte board.. have u had any problems with it so far? I did consider it, but opted for Asus after reading a couple of negative reviews on it..random shutdowns, bios issues etc..

@dominator : Umm.. i hv no idea abt a biostar mobo.. is it a lot better than asus/gigabyte? Coz if it's not, then i'd rather stick to a better known brand.. this pc's gonna be for an elderly relative, so i wanna keep things as simple as i can..

I see no one's said anything abt the prices so far.. so i guess they are pretty fairly priced, huh? I know they might be a little high coz i'm buyin frm my local vendor back at home, but as long as they are not grossly overpriced, i'm happy.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
AMD phenom 2 920 having BIOS problem with M3A78-EM board , so better go for Gigabyte

As choose 790GX chipset to pull out better performance from Phenom 2 X4

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@shirazhansen, I haven't faced any problems with this motherboard till now. It's a rock solid board and is also a stable one for overclocking.

popularbhaskar

Journeyman
i got it for about Rs 2000 from US from Newegg.com. For the Mobo i still have not had a chance to test it with my X4 920 yet though i have my motherboard already. wait till this weekend and i can demystify the cloud.
@@damngoodman999: where did you read about the bios issues of X4920 with M3A78-EM and when you say bios issues.. can you be specific..
I will test the rod my self as well..
-popularbhaskar

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
i got it for about Rs 2000 from US from Newegg.com. For the Mobo i still have not had a chance to test it with my X4 920 yet though i have my motherboard already. wait till this weekend and i can demystify the cloud.
@@damngoodman999: where did you read about the bios issues of X4920 with M3A78-EM and when you say bios issues.. can you be specific..
I will test the rod my self as well..
-popularbhaskar

What to specify the BIOS ??

As when i connect my Phenom 2 940 in to M3A78-Em board i had many crashes & freezing , the bios was culprit after i update the BIOS still many problems Cold boot - BSOD

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@damngoodman999, did you reinstall OS after changing processor and mobo? Or did you do a fresh install already?

otpsurvive

Broken In
@shirazhansen
Go for the ASUS M3A78EM. The only difference between the two is the graphics. It is always better to buy all the components from a single brand so that they all perform better in sync. An AMD proc with an AMD chipset based MoBo and if you decide in the future to get an ATi card, it'll all run beautifully. And yes, the M3A78EM has HDMI, Display port, DVI and VGA too.

otpsurvive

Broken In
@shirazhansen
Go for the ASUS M3A78EM. The only difference between the two is the graphics. It is always better to buy all the components from a single brand so that they all perform better in sync. An AMD proc with an AMD chipset based MoBo and if you decide in the future to get an ATi card, it'll all run beautifully. And yes, the M3A78EM has HDMI, Display port, DVI and VGA too.

popularbhaskar

Journeyman
guys,
I cant really wait.. I will get my processor and memory by today night. I will assemble all and let you all know how it goes. I checked the ASUS site and it does support the PHENOM 2 920.

Bhaskar

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
Ok guys, I've finalised my config.. i'm going ahead with M3A78EM.. it was a 50-50 choice between it and the gigabyte mobo, as they both have more or less the same number of pros and cons.. Got my fingers crossed.. Hope it doesnt cause too much trouble.. Will post again in 2-3 days and let u know..

Cheers!

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
Ok guys, I've finalised my config.. i'm going ahead with M3A78EM.. it was a 50-50 choice between it and the gigabyte mobo, as they both have more or less the same number of pros and cons.. Got my fingers crossed.. Hope it doesnt cause too much trouble.. Will post again in 2-3 days and let u know..

Cheers!

popularbhaskar

Journeyman
hey.. hold on to ur choice.. let me meet the battle first. i have bot all and i would assemble them today and let you know by this weekend how things roll..
Now i have my PH 2 -920
OCZ Ram 1066- It really really rocks!!!
m3a78-em
Let me put them all together and let you know how it goes.

popularbhaskar

Journeyman
guys..
I got my system setup and overclocked at 3GHZ. It looks cool. I did have some blue screens with my old OS and the error was wrt to HAL (hardware abstraction Layer) and ATI drivers with my old OS. I did reinstall the OS and everything rocks. I am doing further testing on the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom