Asus K43SA VX085R or Acer AS4755G 52454G50MNrs

Carl

Broken In
They have both Core i5 and almost with the same price....but I'm more concerned with the GPU...6730M 2gb vs. GT540m 2gb....Which is better? 'Cause Acer AS4755 is cheaper and has a better proc than the Asus...shall I go with the Acer and save a little bit of money? Or shall I go with the Asus 'cause it's more worth it?

OP
C

Carl

Broken In
The Acer is 3742 Rs cheaper than the Asus to be exact.

And is there such thing as a Core i5-245QM? If there is then what's the difference of Core i5-245QM and Core i5 2450M?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
The Acer is 3742 Rs cheaper than the Asus to be exact.

And is there such thing as a Core i5-245QM? If there is then what's the difference of Core i5-245QM and Core i5 2450M?

Then go for Acer because 6730 is not worth the extra money.

No there isn't anything like 245QM. QM comes only in i7 series.

OP
C

Carl

Broken In
Oh well, based on what I've seen on the benchmarks and reviews there's not too much difference between the 2 GPUs so I think I'll go with GT540M 2gb. I think I might buy an external HDD for the remaining 3.8k of my budget. Thanks!

OP
C

Carl

Broken In
How about this?

How reliable is this? I mean yes it's manufacturer refurbished but how do I know of it's condition? How can I check for scratches or stuff like that before I buy it? this is my first time (if i proceed) to buy anything online....so I'm kind of scared...but I really like it for the price and it's a very good laptop. Do these kind of laptops(meaning manufacturer refurbished) look brand new? It has a warranty for 3 months tho so that makes me kind of thinking to get it. Do we have it here in the philippines? I mean those kinds of laptops(refurbished ones) 'cause I have no idea. Thank you for your suggestions.

Here's the laptop I've been thinking about buying.
*www.ebay.com/itm/1-HP-PAVILION-DV7...tops_Nov05&hash=item41643a0de2#ht_3681wt_1139

Last edited:

aroraanant

Explorer
The listing of whose link you have posted have been removed.
And I suggest you to not to buy refurbished laptops as generally the price difference is not much.
And yes the refurbished laptops look like new ones.
When you will see it carefully you will get to know that it is a refurbished one, but will be difficult of other people to say that it is not new

OP
C

Carl

Broken In
I already edited my post..it's working again. About the price....yea I've checked it also and the brand new ones difference from the refurbished ones are from 200-300 dollars.So yea maybe I'll ex it on my list.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I already edited my post..it's working again. About the price....yea I've checked it also and the brand new ones difference from the refurbished ones are from 200-300 dollars.So yea maybe I'll ex it on my list.

You really want to take a 17" notebook? It will be really pain on the portability side until you require it for specific purposes.

OP
C

Carl

Broken In
Uhh...I'll use it for my thesis in school so I'd be going out with it alot and mainly for gaming. Will it be not-so-portable? I don't have any experiences with a laptop.

OP
C

Carl

Broken In
Ok so no to a 17" laptop....now I've found a new competitor to my first choice Acer...it's a samsung...I was blown by this laptop having a GT640m...correct me if I'm wrong but I've reasearched about the GT640m and it's almost 5-40% faster than GT540m...is this right or what? GT640m is ranked # 64 and GT540m is at # 121 at notebookcheck GPU ranking. I've also checked some game comparisons....that's where I've found that GT640m is 5-40% faster than GT540m....the only thing I'm thinking about now is...the samsung laptop is on an i3 2310 system..So what should I get between these two?Sorry if I ask too many questions...Here's the link for the samsung and also for the Acer(nevermind the i5-245qm it's prolly a typo, I've already checked on other sites that it's i5-2450m)
Lastly, nevermind also the difference between the RAM 'cause basically I'll upgrade the samsung also to 4GB or maybe to 6gb if I happen to buy that one.

Samsung RC418-S01PH | Premium Logic Computers
PC Gilmore Computer Center

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
now I've found a new competitor to my first choice Acer...it's a samsung...I was blown by this laptop having a GT640m...correct me if I'm wrong but I've reasearched about the GT640m and it's almost 5-40% faster than GT540m...is this right or what? GT640m is ranked # 64 and GT540m is at # 121 at notebookcheck GPU ranking. I've also checked some game comparisons....that's where I've found that GT640m is 5-40% faster than GT540m....the only thing I'm thinking about now is...the samsung laptop is on an i3 2310 system..So what should I get between these two?
Lastly, nevermind also the difference between the RAM 'cause basically I'll upgrade the samsung also to 4GB or maybe to 6gb if I happen to buy that one.

You're totally right about 640M. Its indeed much better than 540M.
But I'd like to say one thing, getting a low end processor and a high end GPU is never recommended as GPU is then bottlenecked by CPU. Also, a CPU is more important than GPU in a system. I'd personally prefer a good CPU with a mediocre GPU, but then it boils down to your personal preferance. Of course an i3 + 640M will give better gaming performance than i5 + 540M, even though its bottlenecked.
Also, I personally feel that the samsung model is a bit over-priced, I mean you can't expect an i3 when you're spending nearly 31k PHP. I'll straightaway ignore the GPU here.
Do mention your usage.

Sorry if I ask too many questions.

You can ask as many questions as you can, we're all here to help each other. :)

OP
C

Carl

Broken In
Thanks for all the help.

I've also noticed that it's kind of overpriced for it's specs considering that it's only an i3 and only has 2gb of RAM... can it be that the GT640m is the reason that's why it's high priced?
I'll be using the laptop for my Thesis in school which will be using Photoshop, Programming(VB, VB 6, VB.NET, Jcreator, Adobe Photoshop, and MS Office I think that's all) but mainly it will be used for gaming, I mean my priority for this laptop is gaming not for my thesis because I know that all of the programs that I'll be using on my thesis will not be requiring that much from a laptop so I'm aiming to have a good gaming laptop.

I'm quite concerned also for the difference in cores, but isn't i3-2310 enough to run GT640m? I mean yes I know that i5 2450 would be alot better than the i3 but can't i3 run a decent GPU like GT640m? How will it bottleneck the GT640m?

Lastly, while having too much thoughts about getting a laptop shall I wait for the ivy-bridge instead? Correct me if I'm wrong but I've read that Intel's Ivy bridge dual cores for laptop will be released this June.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
One can't say that if a CPU bottlenecks a GPU until benchmark is done to prove. I'd still recommend you to go with i5, as it'll help immensely in your other tasks as you mentioned.
Regarding ivy bridge, I don't think it'll help you much as the major changes are hd4000 instead of HD3000 and some TDP improvements.

Top Bottom