Asus Announces ROG ARES II

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I need a better job :(

Dual GPU video cards are nothing new, but there are very few companies that do it with the level of flair (and dare we say overkill) of Asus. Along with their standard reference-derived designs for products such as the GTX 690 and Radeon HD 6990, the company also produces one or two ultra-luxury custom designs that push the envelope in terms of performance, features, power, and size. These cards have been released under the ARES (AMD) and MARS (NVIDIA) brands, with the most recent entry being the dual-GTX580 based MARS II in 2011.

Now with CES upon us Asus has announced their next custom dual-GPU card, the Asus ARES II. Like the Radeon HD 5870 based ARES (I), the ARES II is effectively two Radeon video cards on a single board. Specifically, Asus is building a single card Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition crossfire solution, packing two overclocked 7970GE GPUs and 6GB of memory (3GB per GPU) on to a single card. Clockspeeds are at 1050MHz for the core and 6.6GHz for the memory, 50Mhz(5%) and 600MHz (10%) over a stock 7970GE respectively.

As to be expected, power and cooling requirements for such a card are quite high, which is where Asus’s customizations and expertise come into play. Feeding the beast will be 3 8pin PCIe power connectors, and with another 75W from the PCIe slot itself we’re looking at total power consumption somewhere in the neighborhood of 500W (roughly twice that of a single 7970GE). Asus uses their own Super Alloy Power delivery system here, with a total of 20 power phases between the various GPUs and memory components.

Meanwhile cooling the beast will be something even more outlandish and unique for a 1st party video card: closed loop liquid cooling augmented with standard air cooling. Rather than going with an even bigger HSF like the ARES (I) or competitor PowerColor’s Devil13, Asus is sticking with a dual-slot card and moving most of the cooling duties to a 120mm radiator. The radiator itself is a single 120mm block with a pair of fans in a push-pull configuration, very similar to aftermarket CPU coolers we’ve reviewed in the past such as the Corsair H80i. These closed loop coolers have proven to be extremely effective in the past so it will be interesting to see how Asus’s implementation plays out, particularly with the uniquely high power/heat properties of a dual-GPU video card. Meanwhile Asus also has an 80mm fan on the card itself (thereby making this a hybrid configuration) and based on their description we believe this covers cooling the memory and VRMs, while the closed loop cooler is dedicated to the GPUs.

*images.anandtech.com/doci/6561/AresII_575px.jpg
*images.anandtech.com/doci/6561/AresIIb_575px.jpg

AnandTech

Last edited:
OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Rs 75k for a Graphics Card.........., are those guys serious? :shock: :hammer:

that not much.. there is diamond studded iPhones.. :rollseye: .. its a limited edition run and will usually be handtested by ASUS.

bump - added video

Top Bottom