Asus A8N-E Vs. MSI RS480M2-IL

Which is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringwraith

Journeyman
depends on whether integrated video works for u...if u plan on a video card get the asus, otherwise the x300 IGP might last u a while.
in terms of performance i wudnt recommend a RS480 for the following reasons:
i) very little overclocking options
ii) xpress200 chipset being a bit inferior to nf4 ultra -
no sata2 , gigabit lan, firewire etc.

quad master

In the zone
My answer is ASUS A8N-E simple
Its allows you to overclock your system for more
performance

With MSI RS480 u go get an onboard AtiXpress200
but u are limited to run ur proccy at stock speeds
and even ur ram.

My vote goes for ASUS

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
if u want a onboard gpu then ofcourse MSI rs480.and if u will b goin for a external gpu then dun hav to think further any day Asus A8NE mobo gr8 performer.i m using MSI RS480M2 its very stable,decent onboard gpu,but lacks in onboard sound,no sata2.or if u can wait then nvidia hav launched there nu chipset wid gud onboard gpu betta then dat of RS480M2.it will take a month or 2.

Hells_Fury

In the zone
My vote goes to the ASUS mobo even though it doesnt have an onboard graphics card because it has the nForce4 chipset which is anyday better than the ATI chipset.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
i would just say what others ahve repeated , if u r looking for a budget onboard gpu solution with decent enough perfomance then its the Rs480 but if u have any intentions of buying a separate gou then definitely asus a8n-e.

Kniwor

Learner
Ringwraith said:
depends on whether integrated video works for u...if u plan on a video card get the asus, otherwise the x300 IGP might last u a while.
in terms of performance i wudnt recommend a RS480 for the following reasons:
i) very little overclocking options
ii) xpress200 chipset being a bit inferior to nf4 ultra -
no sata2 , gigabit lan, firewire etc.

excuse me on that one, it has firewire..

Kniwor

Learner
Ok, now i place my opinion,

We have been asked to take everything under consideration,first let me tell i did vote for RS480

1) It has reasonable integrated video, atleast good for now, so if ur tight on budget now, but u will purchase a vid card later get this one, because it has PCI-E slot, no limitations here.

2) About overclocking, yes here is a problem, but i always rum my system at 1980Mhz instead of 1800Mhz, just add clockgen to startup, and 2 clicks will do it.(dont expect too many options.)

Now, cost is a BIG BIG factor, if it was not to the money, surely ASUS mobo with a good gfx card is great, so we are talking about some constraints here, so i'll vote for MSIRS480M2-IL.

quad master

In the zone
even if RS480 can be tweaked for more mhz using
Clockgen but what about the ram timings they
also play an important part.

Also a overclock of 180Mhz wont give u much of a perf increase

Asus A8N-E can overclock as well as tweak ram timings.
Its with ASUS when u overclock by 500-600Mhz more you will feel the power.

Also dont forget the other loads of features which
ASUS packs for which the cost of the motherboard
comes up.

Kniwor

Learner
quad master said:
even if RS480 can be tweaked for more mhz using
Clockgen but what about the ram timings they
also play an important part.
what do u mean by that, when u up fsb, ram speed goes up, BTW u can manually set ram atleast in BIOS for RS480

quad master said:
Also a overclock of 180Mhz wont give u much of a perf increase

Asus A8N-E can overclock as well as tweak ram timings.
Its with ASUS when u overclock by 500-600Mhz more you will feel the power.

Also dont forget the other loads of features which
ASUS packs for which the cost of the motherboard
comes up.

I am not trying to tell that it's the board for overclockers, if I had the moeny, i would have purchased nF4 board, (ASUS or MSI does not matter)
but since u've been asked to rate those boards, i've done that.

What u guys are doing is comparing MSI RS480M2-IL with "nF4 mobo with a video card" if i give u Rs.6000 (no more money for vid card :wink: ) and tell u to purchase one, which one will u purchase, surely RS480.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Will the thread starter please tell us if he is interested in gaming or not so that we can recommend the correct mobo for him.

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
The thread starter replies:
:) :) :)
He's h$ll bent on gaming and a great fan of Asus. 8) Just was confused as some of my friends suggested me the MSI board instead of the Asus one. :?

To be specific he's a great fan of FPS's and strategy games and no other genre. :wink:

AlienTech

In the zone
ATI is half the cost and gives almost the same performance as the asuz (its 2-4% slower). If GAMES are not your main consideration for the money, you can double your RAM and HD basically increasing performance over the asuz. And there are over clocking options, just not as advanced as the asuz. I am not a believer in over clocking since I have designed and made boards and there is a reson for why something is spec'ed at a particualr value. If DX9 GFX is not as important you could always go for the new semprons which are like 15% slower but 1/2 the cost as well as the AMD64. So for less than 1/2 the price you get over 50% of the performance of the high end systems. It is the last 25% of performance where the price double for every 10%.

For gamers this is a really pathetic system. Even adding extra PCI-E gfx cards gives 5% less performance than the asuz. Mainly because MSI runs he board SLOWER @ 198MHZ while the azus runs @ 201MHZ.

G

gxsaurav

A8N-E revisoon 2 is better, as ATI chipset isn't that good, the USB spped & PCI-E speed is not upto the mark, besides Nvidia has proved they give best performance for AMD with Nforce4

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Well here's what an Asus A8N-E is capable of-
Decide for yourself, :lol:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ [Winchester]
*www.techenclave.com/forums/attachments/oc-n-moddin/339-post-your-overclocks-cpuz_main_screen-2.823ghz.jpg

Hynix Generic RAM :wink:
*img201.imageshack.us/img201/7091/hynix297134485fv.jpg

Memory Bandwidth :lol:
*img173.imageshack.us/img173/3017/sisoftmemory297134483fs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom