Assistance with motherboard & monitor selection for an i5 spec

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Asus VX239H panel which looks good to me. I would not mind stretching the budget even. Hopefully, it is available. Will keep the inputs coming.
I don't even see this model in official site - India. And I don't see it available anywhere online. :( Going by Amazon US price, it would cost over 25k.

No offense, I think you're spending tooooo much for a simple use.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Okay let me elaborate. The panel might serve as a TV connected to a set top box sometime later and might be used to view detailed engineering drawings with miniature numbers in addition to being used to watch movies with an audience of atleast 3+ spread across the room. Hence the insist of top quality IPS.

Really bad news that it is not India specific. Could you suggest an Asus itself probably with a stretched budget of 18,000? And/or other brands for consideration?

Too bad that official websites of all manufacturers do not elaborately list all available models. That's highlighting only the recently launched models. Like for example, the pa238q was among the professional series of Asus but nowhere to be listed when searched series wise on their website now.

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Okay let me elaborate. The panel might serve as a TV connected to a set top box sometime later and might be used to view detailed engineering drawings with miniature numbers in addition to being used to watch movies with an audience of atleast 3+ spread across the room. Hence the insist of top quality IPS. Really bad news that it is not India specific. Could you suggest an Asus itself probably with a stretched budget of 18,000? And/or other brands for consideration? Too bad that official websites of all manufacturers do not elaborately list all available models. That's highlighting only the recently launched models. Like for example, the pa238q was among the professional series of Asus but nowhere to be listed when searched series wise on their website now.
Dell U2414H costs 20k, ticks all boxes but VGA port.
Dell P2414H costs 15k, ticks all the boxes but HDMI port. You can use adapter or converter.
PA238Q is not listed in their site, but available with online sellers for about 23k
If I come across any other model, I will let you know.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Thanks a bunch for your time, nac. I've seen people say Dell monitor always have a glossy finish which I would like to avoid. Is this specific to certain series of dell monitors that I should avoid ? Glossy & matte.. are these the only two 'types' ?

Also, looks like even Asus is using ah-ips panels from LG. So, LG also might be a good brand to research.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, there is only two I guess. Glossy have some kinda anti-glare coating. I mostly see glossy screens than matte.

BenQ BL2420PT costs 23.5-28k
LG 24GM77 costs 19-21.5k

My pick would be Dell for price, popularity, they aren't pathetic with their after sales and user reviews are also good.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Hopefully, the dell will come within the total budget as it seems to be fine configuration wise apart from some settings tweak required with nvidia and intel gpu's.

Final and I would say 'the biggest concern' is now the UPS. Only when trying to search an appropriate UPS for this build, did I come across an answer (not solution) as to why one of my previous builds with a corsair GS series PSU (/w active pfc technology as do most 80 plus certified psu's today) did not work with my APC back UPS 1100 VA. Does this ring a bell to anyone here ?

The issue I faced and still do even today - When at peak load and power is interrupted, the UPS would trip with a load drop and the system would go off. This did not happen when at idle or less load. I had been blaming the UPS all these months and even planned to get a new UPS for the older system along with this new build. Thankfully, I haven't yet and would be great if someone could throw in light on this.

Seems modern PSU's with the Active PFC technology are not compatible with non pure sine-wave UPS models which is what most of the manufacturers offer at domestic level models. Please note : As you would know, the issue is not prevalent in all cases and might/might not occur with specific UPS+PSU combinations and/or at varied load levels.

I'm not sure how many at this forum have come across this problem and if so, could you let me know what would be a viable solution ? I'm not able to find proper pure sine wave model UPS at an affordable price, let's say.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Your APC 1100VA UPS works well with the suggested PSU ie Seasonic S12II 520w.

I am using the same PSU but a modular one with APC UPS.

No probs. Go ahead mate. OK.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Re: Assistance with motherboard & monitor selection for an i5 spec

Maybe you could try putting the PC on full load (I mean really peak load on the GPU & CPU) and cutting off the mains to see if the switch over to the UPS battery is smooth ?

- - - Updated - - -

What I fail to understand is why would the APC 1100 Back-UPS fail to switch onto battery when the PC (corsair gs 600) is on full load ? The batteries are new and apc service center wasn't able to replicate the problem at their center. Same as me when the PC is not on load.

It is only after a couple of days once the UPS has 'tripped', will it start working again normally. Otherwise, it would simply shut off during the initial self test. Really strange behavior..

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I don't know the reason, just a rough guess. They say starting load is double the normal. May be 600w needs 1200w when switch over? I don't know just guessing.

There were some discussion few months back that PC shutting down despite having UPS during switch from (or to?) generator to main power. Don't know if he fixed that issue, search this forum and see if that is any helpful for you.

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Tried searching but could not unfortunately locate the said thread. Might this be due to the fact that my pc is not that energy efficient?

Meaning, both the cpu and gpu are power masters with the phenom II x4 955 @ peak power of 230w and 6850r cyclone edition @ peak power of 240w. Sunil'c PC config does not seem to be that power hungry (i5 4670S @ peak power of 70w and asus gtx960 @ peak power of 70w) and hence his 1100va ups is holding good ?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
This is the one I was talking about
*forum.digit.in/hardware-q/196809-desktop-restart-generator-supply.html?highlight=generator

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Thanks nac, that was an interesting thread but in my case there is no inverter / generator involved. The UPS is plainly connected to the AC mains..

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Just to update, we've purchased the said PC yesterday and happy with it. Thanks to all who have assisted throughout..

A small question though.. not related to pc components but to the OS. pardon me for adding this to the thread.

I had installed windows 7 32-bit at first (during which it did not allow to create more than 2 partitions for some reason and hence I left the remaining 500 GB of the 1 TB HDD as unallocated space).

Later when installing windows 8 64 bit the unallocated space was partitioned (total 4 partitions approxing of 250 GB each). Problem is when I login to windows 8, the partition of windows 7 has been assigned the last drive letter (G: ). (Just this HDD and a CD drive were connected at the time of installation). I would like to change the windows 7 partition drive to drive (D: ) and the other 2 as E and F respectively. So that the CD drive can take G probably.

Now, is it safe to change the drive assigned letter by right clicking Computer > Manage > Disk Management ? It gives an unstability warning when I try to do so and the PC assembler warns me that doing so will corrupt the Master Boot Record and I wont be able to choose to boot to windows 7 any longer. I remember having done something like this in my other PC although not sure if it was on the drive where the OS was installed. Any advice ?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I have used a dual boot system before, and never bothered about this drive letter assigning esp. when it's giving warning why changing that. I usually label the drives like Windows/Linux, Guest, Documents...

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Thanks, nac. just so if at all this helps someone, I did try changing the windows 7 drive letter to D and windows startup repair came to the rescue fixing some boot issues that I did have the next time the system started.

Now, all is fine as expected.

Top Bottom