ARM announces Cortex A7

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Been waiting for this since the first dual core mobile processor was announced.

Currently the highend mobile SOC are based on ARM Cortex A9 & A15 is just round the corner. so why go back to A7? cheaper. low-power. but still faster.

the new core will allow 2 things: 10k mobiles will ship with dual core processor having clockspeed in excess of 1Ghz (1.2-1.5Ghz expected) & act as a companion core to the highend SOC with power hungry cores. something Nvidia have implemented in their Kal-el range of SOCs (4+1 core). But this one won't be here before 2012. most likely Q4 2012-Q1 2013. long way to go.

source

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Nice info mate. Yup kalel is the first to use an additional companion core to save power by disabling all primary cores when device is in idle mode or doing lesser computations.

Btw needed to ask you something. How are arm v6 processors? Asked this because just checked samsung's galaxy Y which has a single core 832mhz arm v6 processor.

Is it good? Heard that it cannot process flash content? Btw pricing of that phone was 6990 inr. A steal imo. What say friend?

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
@Sam... brilliant... will wait of ARM A7 processors... its about time we have affordable, good quality handsets...

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Btw needed to ask you something. How are arm v6 processors? Asked this because just checked samsung's galaxy Y which has a single core 832mhz arm v6 processor.

Is it good? Heard that it cannot process flash content? Btw pricing of that phone was 6990 inr. A steal imo. What say friend?

yes, officially V6 doesn't support flash as some instructions are missing. but unofficially it is possible. but also its quite old & designed for lowend devices. so even if you upp the clock to 1Ghz, i doubt it'll show any significant improvement in real world performance.

Top Bottom