Are you Ready for the future of the Internet?

sygeek

Technomancer
World IPv6 Day​

*worldipv6day.org/files/header4.png​

On 8 June, 2011, Google, Facebook, Yahoo!, Akamai and Limelight Networks will be amongst some of the major organisations that will offer their content over IPv6 for a 24-hour “test flight”. The goal of the Test Flight Day is to motivate organizations across the industry – Internet service providers, hardware makers, operating system vendors and web companies – to prepare their services for IPv6 to ensure a successful transition as IPv4 addresses run out.

Is your internet connection ready for the future of the internet? Visit this link to find out - IPv6 Test.

Official World IPv6 Page - June 8, 2011
*worldipv6day.org/

How IPv6 Works?
IPv6

More information about IPv6 day:
*ipv6day.org

Tunnelbrokers:
IPv6 Day - Tunnel Brokers​

Last edited:
OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
On June 8, most of the major sites are switching to IPv6 for a day, to basically test it out. Even If you don't have an IPv6 IP, you can still access sites with IPv6 address (Some ISPs may not support this change, it depends. That's the reason google created that "Test" site).

Sarath

iDota
but its inevitable, that much I know, as all the ip4 ones have run out or are (running out).
However I didnt know one had to be ip6 ready. I just thought it to be a bigger IP address.

Last edited:
OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
IPv4 addresses running out, have been predicted as many times as the world ending prediction. You never know when it is true. It was last rumored that IPv4 would end soon and that the prediction was actually real (just like 2012 prediction).

However I didnt know one had to be ip6 ready.
One doesn't necessarily has to be IPv4 ready, not now at least. Most of the organizations still use IPv4, more than 95% of the internet users are still stuck on IPv4 addresses.
I just thought it to be a bigger IP address.
Yes, IPv6 is a bigger address.

Seriously man, you gotta work on your English. I just don't get the point of what you say (no offense).

Last edited:

Sarath

iDota
Ya I know. Its only coz I am too lazy to use puntuation.

My english serves me well and I am too lazy to improve it. I dont read what I type either so all typos get pasted.

I dont think we should not discuss ip6 anymore. Although I do not understand what problems ip6 will pose now. However I do not want to dig further.

Sarath

iDota
Okay that makes sense. But I knew most of it. I still dont know how it will raise incompatibility issues.

However this line is a breather "This will give many XP users an error as IPv6 may not be enabled on your computer." so I guess users like me on Win 7 are ready.

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
windows xp has good user base still now..... it doesnot support ip6 automatically..... so do it manually.......

How To Enable IPv6 On Windows XP

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Really whats the difference between IPv4 & IPv6?Is it worth the upgrade?

IPv4 addresses have almost run out. And NAT is NOT a solution.
I say it's worth it only if it gets rid of frigging NAT, and thus gives a range of IPs to every user, such that every device in the PAN/LAN has a dedicated WAN IP address. Though knowing the idiotic ISPs, they will probably not let one connection have more than 1 IP without paying a premium

Just give all users at least IPv6/120 subnet and I'll be delighted. IPv6/112 would be the most ideal though. ;)

*en.linuxreviews.org/Why_you_want_IPv6

windows xp has good user base still now..... it doesnot support ip6 automatically..... so do it manually.......

There's no point of enabling IPv6 in your PC if your router doesn't support IPv6. And nor does any major ISP in India.

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
There's no point of enabling IPv6 in your PC if your router doesn't support IPv6. And nor does any major ISP in India.
My BSNL's shitty router does, but ISP probably doesn't (for home users), at least for now until we don't run into a crisis.

lalam

In the zone
Got this - You don’t have IPv6, but you shouldn’t have problems on websites that add IPv6 support

OP
sygeek

sygeek

Technomancer
IPv6 Day Started

IPv6 Day Started

IPv6 day officially started at midnight GMT. Over the next 24 hrs, a number of large web sites will be reachable via IPv6. For example Google, Yahoo and Facebook added AAAA records.

You can check yourself if you are able to receive the AAAA records with this nslookup command:
nslookup
> set type=AAAA
> Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Non-authoritative answer:
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More has AAAA address 2620::1c08:4000:face:b00c:0:2
The next 24 hrs bring a unique opportunity to test IPv6 and to experiment with it. I recommend that you setup at least a test system and attempt to connect to IPv6 via a tunnelbroker. You may also be able to use auto-configured 6-to-4 but it tends to be less reliable. See the end of this article for a number of free tunnel brokers.

Things to test:
  • ping Google: on unix, use ping6 Google, on Windows, ping -6 Google
  • measure latency via IPv4 and IPv6 and compare.
  • test if you can reach various IPv6 sites (Home | SANS Internet Storm Center; Cooperative Network Security Community - Internet Security has been dual tack for a while now)
  • can you detect the traffic with whatever tools you use (snort, tcpdump, windump, wireshark...)
More information about IPv6 day:
*ipv6day.org

Tunnelbrokers:
IPv6 Day - Tunnel Brokers

Rajesh345

Youngling
Re: IPv6 Day Started

*img97.imageshack.us/img97/2412/ip60.jpg
*img828.imageshack.us/img828/5426/ip61.jpg
*img821.imageshack.us/img821/9394/ip62.jpg
*img827.imageshack.us/img827/3463/ip63.jpg

Edit , finally got ping to google