ARE RAM OPTIMIZERS OF ANY REALLY HELP ! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
They are not, says studies ! it says they have no effect, and at worst, they seriously degrade performance. Although gaining more available memory might seem beneficial, it isn't. As RAM Optimizers force the available-memory counter up, they force other processes' data and code out of memory !!! you may have noticed, that after using a ram optimizer, it does take time for aplication to re- or cold- start ! for just-closed applications, they may however help in unloading their dll's.

pls visit *www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/41095/41095.html &
*mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html :)

mohit

The Hardware Labs
they are useless and harmful according to me.. they sometimes freeze ur machine and cause errors in running processes ... better to avoid them and go for physical ram upgrade. and if ur system has less amount of ram then just disable all the frills and effects... that will surely be helpful.

dreams

Gracias Senor
ya they r useless.. when v free up RAM itselfthe sys hangs for soetimes and after tht the sys goes unstable.. unless and until u restart it will never cum 2 stable state.. this is of my exp..

..Shar n nJoy..

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
Already discussed and that time too these optimizers where found to be crap.One interesting post was that if they were so helpful why didnt microsoft include ram optimizers in the kernel

rohanbee

Padawan
Ram optimisers are a " Get rich quick scheme of some software programmers" They optimise memory and minimise all other operations.
Better stay away
Optimise Ram by buying good hardware ram!

sms_solver

In the zone
Better to have a lot of RAM (1GB+) rather than installing these softwares.

Beside WinXP manages memory effectively!

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
mem. optimizations by winxp are good enough ... ever noticed the free ram before/after playing games like d3 , MoH : PA ??? the os shuts down unneccesary services itself .... good enough for me ... i trust a very few third party softwares ....

Agree with deathvirus_me. Windows XP's memory management is good enough. RAM optimizers increase the amount of free phyisical memory but they cause heavy paging operations, as programs are moved to page file to free memory. N if you got a slow or problemetic hdd, you are in for a real bad time.

If you have more than 256 megs of RAM you'll find that these optimisers are useless. They where designed for older generation machines (with low and slow memory susbsytems) running older OS's (< win 98) that could not manage system memory very well.

Keith

EagerBeaver

Journeyman
Even I thinks it is useless. WXP has good memory management system..........
But what is the difference between memry optimizers and memory defraggers ? Like system mecanic has both ???????????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom