Are Macbooks worth the price?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
:| what..was he doing?:-D

trekking... now if you want to ask why he got it on the trek, well it was because he wanted to show us a documentary

oh and another advantage, if you trip over a mac power cable, it slips out of the socket smoothly, instead of possibly dropping the laptop, or you

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
1. Macs have fewer viruses and security issues
2. Macs software, on average, focuses more on its user interface and making your experience enjoyable than Windows software does
3. Good for designers (even Windows also)
4. Better battery life
*static.itpro.co.uk/sites/itpro/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/screen_shot_2014-02-14_at_11.25.52_am_0.png?itok=7b9EsY7d

5.No bloatware/free updates
6.Updating hotfixes/patches is easy
7.The Trackpad

Source: OS X vs Windows: 8 reasons to switch to Mac | IT PRO

Another thing i would like to add is , i have researched a bit on this and macbook batteries dont degrade like windows laptop batteries. Even after 2 years, if maintained well, macbooks would have lost hardly 15-20% of their battery life. On the other hand, windows laptops suffer more degradation. This is a long term factor which is not ever covered in any review due to obvious reasons.

$hadow

Geek in making
If purchased from India NO
but if you can get from abroad yeah it is definitely a good option.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
ok will explain this "in India" logic, considering $1=Rs. 60

13" Macbook pro
$1,299 in US
converted to INR that is Rs. 77,940
but in India, the price is Rs. 94,900

this is not a phenomenon that magically and uniquely applies only to macbooks

Alienware 14
$1,349 in US
converted to INR that is Rs. 80,940
but in India, the price is Rs. 1,20,990

so please don't single out macbooks on that point

$hadow

Geek in making
ok will explain this "in India" logic, considering $1=Rs. 60

13" Macbook pro
$1,299 in US
converted to INR that is Rs. 77,940
but in India, the price is Rs. 94,900

this is not a phenomenon that magically and uniquely applies only to macbooks

Alienware 14
$1,349 in US
converted to INR that is Rs. 80,940
but in India, the price is Rs. 1,20,990

so please don't single out macbooks on that point

Alienware is also one of the laptop which is many times being asked to ignore coz of it's pricing. Rest all laptops are not priced at a big premium.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yes they are, I should have put that info in the previous post only, but chose Alienware to give a more comparable pricing

11" Dell Inspiron 3000 basic specs
$250 in US
converted directly to INR that comes to Rs. 15,000
but in India the price is Rs. 27,790

if you look at the ratio of difference, macbooks are actually closer to US pricing, so by that logic macbooks are more worth it than any other :)

tkin

Back to school!!
Guys are the apple MAC Laptops worth the price? Planning to buy one for a family member.
Its better if we know the primary use, for example if the work is related to software development I'd suggest to go for a laptop, so both unix and windows can be installed on it. If its just for movie/music/facebook, a chromebook would be a better option in terms of battery. Honestly I'm not sure what a mac can do which a pc can't do, but that's my opinion, no need to go crazy over it.

- - - Updated - - -

yes they are, I should have put that info in the previous post only, but chose Alienware to give a more comparable pricing

11" Dell Inspiron 3000 basic specs
$250 in US
converted directly to INR that comes to Rs. 15,000
but in India the price is Rs. 27,790

if you look at the ratio of difference, macbooks are actually closer to US pricing, so by that logic macbooks are more worth it than any other :)
Don't nitpick, this goes both ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing i would like to add is , i have researched a bit on this and macbook batteries dont degrade like windows laptop batteries. Even after 2 years, if maintained well, macbooks would have lost hardly 15-20% of their battery life. On the other hand, windows laptops suffer more degradation. This is a long term factor which is not ever covered in any review due to obvious reasons.
Yet to experience this.

- - - Updated - - -

trekking... now if you want to ask why he got it on the trek, well it was because he wanted to show us a documentary

oh and another advantage, if you trip over a mac power cable, it slips out of the socket smoothly, instead of possibly dropping the laptop, or you
Fantastic advantage :clap2:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^
it is an example, about the thoughtfulness of every minor detail.

[YOUTUBE]zaLMOSWAwdw[/YOUTUBE]

Although I can agree with the price argument in case of Macs(I mean every other manufacturer in India is doing the same). But the overall service network is small and warranty extensions cost a lot.For me, it was 25K~ for 3 year Apple care warranty extension. Now say you are living in a remote area, and with remote I mean relatively remote, some manufacturers might give you on-site warranty for that, while with Macs it is always carry in(provided that the service is available at your location). There is no absolute + sign with any machine you get, it's always +/-, there are considerable tradeoffs with Macs, then again their are considerable tradeoffs with windows laptops too, if you see on the software+application side.

geek_rocker

Broken In
In terms of getting stuff done, unless you want to use some Mac-exclusive stuff, no Mac is worth the money. The only such scenario would be if you're developing for Macs/iOS or use Final Cut Pro or something. Not recommended if you are into gaming. Yes, they are well made, but so are Thinkpads and Precisons. If you just use it at as a Facebook machine and can't avoid viruses on Windows, Linux is a better choice.

Also, it is a myth that Macbooks don't have problems: my girlfriend's Macbook Pro got a "No wifi hardware found" error since updating to OS X Mavericks and the problem hasn't been solved even after we tried everything including replacing the wifi card. Since Macbooks are not as widespread; it is actually even harder to solve problems when you get them.

That said, the retina Macbook Pro is not that bad, it can be good for photo and video editing, although overpriced. The Macbook Air, on the other hand, I would not recommend to anyone unless you really want those extra two hours of battery life or wanna show off or something. But yeah, value for money? Absolutely not. That's not their target market at all.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Main purpose would be for browsing etc. Not any development work. Just wanted to experience an Apple Product and find out if it's worth the price. I have heard lots of good things about it so just wanted to try.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^let us know!
-you can use it for 10+ years, no problem
-the resale value is great, you can recover a hefty chunk of your investment later on if you want to upgrade
-the operating system and updates are FREE

ankush28

Bazinga
Main purpose would be for browsing etc. Not any development work. Just wanted to experience an Apple Product and find out if it's worth the price. I have heard lots of good things about it so just wanted to try.

So which one should I go for?
I see one's starting from 60k till 1 Lakh 70k.

buying mac just for browsing? :facepalm:
Thats pure waste of money..Just because you want to *try* Mac OS.

I'd say get chromebook instead(Upcoming nvidia k1 based or i3 one) or get cheap netbook and load Elementary OS.. Use it for 2-3 years and buy something new... much better than using mac for 10 years.:duh2:

Software updates are free but most recent updates will eventually require new hardware. (say after 3-4 years)

Subhankar Mondal

I love Digit
Re: The Offtopic Thread V1: Life Support Edition

If i had the money( 50-60k), i would never buy a windows laptop. After all these years, still pathetic battery life. On the other hand, macbook air 11 and 13 inch give 11- 13 hours battery life. If one is not into gaming/heavy duty tasks, macbook air is a better option. Even macbook pro 13 inch with retina display has a battery life of 9 hours. The below article is one of my favs as to how macbook air is a total game changer with respect to battery life.

The new MacBook Air: Just how good is the new battery life?
Which laptop will you suggest for heavy gaming? why mac is not good for gaming?

Last edited:
Top Bottom