Are Apple earphones worth 1200??

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticflare

Journeyman
My earphones for the Ipod have gone bust and I've seen the earphones priced at 1200!! Sony sells earphones at 500. My question is are Apple's earphones worth 1200? The only reason I still feel attracted to the Apple earphones is the style factor. Can some one please suggest the best quality earphones within the price limit of 1000.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
nope. it's a pretty average model. Check senn px100 mx400 cx300 mx660. these are quality earphones/canalphones/headphones.

PS: don't expect thumping bass on these sets. They are more towards balanced sound. If you want heavy bass, check sony mdr-e818LP is the one (rs.500). Loads and loads of bass and it's pretty loud.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
the difference betwen the two is sensitivity. since ep35lp has 8db/mW lower sensitivity, it will sound louder than ep32lp and hence it is more durable.

I mean if a headphone has lower sensitivity, it requires less power to produce sound. 9-11db of sensitivity difference is like double the loudness for same volume level.

Last edited:
OP
arcticflare

arcticflare

Journeyman
I've purchased the Sony MDR-EX35LP earphones. They're really way better than the IPOD's stock earphones. Thanks Desibond....

P:S: Have to get used to the penetrating buds.

nix

ibuds may not be good compared to the high end ones, but they are certainly not "crap". it is good. it is good for the average guy who doesnt want extra "thumping" bass. too much bass spoils the song. you tend to get sick of listening to high bass all the time. and who wants noise isolation anyway?. there is so much noise on indian streets that any noise-cancelling thing wont work well.

many people fall for the hype of noise cancellation and stuff like that but eventually get sick of it, they are not comfortable, not easy to wear(you have to screw them into your ear).
many people do not find the in-the-ear types comfortable too.

mpanan

Broken In
ibuds may not be good compared to the high end ones, but they are certainly not "crap". it is good. it is good for the average guy who doesnt want extra "thumping" bass. too much bass spoils the song. you tend to get sick of listening to high bass all the time. and who wants noise isolation anyway?. there is so much noise on indian streets that any noise-cancelling thing wont work well.

many people fall for the hype of noise cancellation and stuff like that but eventually get sick of it, they are not comfortable, not easy to wear(you have to screw them into your ear).

ibuds are crap because

1. the sound quality is not good
2. apple overcharges for everything more than what they are worth, i picked up a earbuds once for 100 bucks, their sound quality is so better than apple ibuds.
3. to compensate for the noise on indian street, people will listen to even more large volume, this will damage hearing. check the internet forums there are millions of people suffering from that hearing damage

Active noise cancellation is crap if u want some lowe end ones, the ones that are good are way too expensive like senn px 450. but there is the passive noise blocking earphones like senn cx 300 and creative ep 630, whcih block the noise by sealing off the ear canal. by having this seal, you can listen to your music on the street at safer volumes.

for example you have to listen at 35 volume with apple ibuds to hear in a busy street, i can listen to that with my in-ear phones at 6-7. which is safe, you decide. once you sampled the better quality earphones, you will never go back. but be warned, you should clean your earbuds or anything that you put in your ear for atleast once a month to prevent infections partiuclarly if you are sharing with someone

Its all RELATIVE.

iBuds are good enough that you would not buy a new pair of earphones once you purchase a new iPod. They are definitely better than the Transcend T-Sonic 610 default earbuds.

But they are not good enough to justify their Rs. 1,200 price when you are looking for fresh earphones because earphones at half that price perform much better. All you get with iBuds are the apple logo and the white color.

mpanan

Broken In
Its all RELATIVE.

iBuds are good enough that you would not buy a new pair of earphones once you purchase a new iPod. They are definitely better than the Transcend T-Sonic 610 default earbuds.

But they are not good enough to justify their Rs. 1,200 price when you are looking for fresh earphones because earphones at half that price perform much better. All you get with iBuds are the apple logo and the white color.

if that's relative, then the difference btw a ambassador and a benz is also relative ;). you are right, spending 1200 for a white apple is waste

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

whatever you said is the actual misconception.

who said that you will get loads of bass in high end earphones? high-end earphones doesn't mean loads of bass. They sound lot better and the sound will be more balanced. I really enjoyed lot of songs on my MDR-EX32LP than on pathetic bundled earphones. And for god's sake, ipod earphones cost 1200 bucks and certainly aren't low end.

coming to the in-ear stuff. Thanks to the noise isolation, I do not crank up the ipod volume while I am walking. Because of the isolation, I am able to hear each and every bit of music and vocals with minimal environmental noise. If I carry bundled earphones, I would have to put them on a much higher volume. Hence, in-ear headphones or noise cancellation phones actually are good for ears.

1) cut off noise
2) keep players volume at lower level

There only very few people who won't feel comfortable with in-ear headphones. That will be because their in-ear headphones doens't fit properly in their ear. They either have to go for active noise cancelling headphones or go for normal earphones. For others, It's better to have noicse cancelling/isolating earphones for safe listening.

And don't think that by turning on noise cancelling, you will be in a fully isolated environment. NO. The device cuts as much noise as possible. And they are meant for use at places like train stations, concerts, noisy environments, where the noise is much more than what we have on Indian streets.

if that's relative, then the difference btw a ambassador and a benz is also relative ;). you are right, spending 1200 for a white apple is waste

hehe. buying apple earphones for 1200 bucks is like buying Maruti 800 for the price of Maruti SX4 ;)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

hehe. buying apple earphones for 1200 bucks is like buying Maruti 800 for the price of Maruti SX4 ;)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

a_to_z123

asia://india/ka/bangalore
I've purchased the Sony MDR-EX35LP earphones. They're really way better than the IPOD's stock earphones. Thanks Desibond....

P:S: Have to get used to the penetrating buds.

How much did the EX35LP earphones cost?? I'm also planning to buy these for my iPod... Do quote the price!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom