Are 915 motherboards AGP 8x compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny_geo

Broken In
I just heard from someone, that the the new motherboards with intel 915 chipset have only PCI express slots and need PCI express graphics cards.

My question is, with a 915 motherboard, can I run a graphics card like the XFX Geforce FX 5700 Ultra?

Actually, the situation is like this :-
- I have a 845 motherboard with P4 2.4 GHz processor, the board doesnt have an AGP slot.
- I need to install a graphics card, so I'm planning to upgrade my comp.
- I thought of going in for 915 motherboard with a 3.0 GHz processor, that will cost me somewhere around 16,000
- If it doesn,t support an AGP 8x graphics card, then I better go in for a 865 motherboard, and a P4 2.8 HT, which may be available for 6,000 for me, what should I do, please help!!!

ganesh8

Broken In
915 mobos have PCI Express slots and will not accept AGP cards. Your best bet is to go for a 865 or a 875 chipset

[flAsh]

In the zone
sorry intel's 915G doesn't support agp8x cards but Via PT900 (or something like that) suupports both PCI -e and AGP8x.

imgame

Broken In
no 915 doesn't support AGP 8x .......unlike AGP .....PCI ex ....the two are diffrent technologies ....so look for a mobo that has support for both or go to some other chipset or AMD.......!

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
I'd suggest u go for 915 platform for th sake of future compatibility and then get a PCI-express based gfx card.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
at this point there is no good card which is released for PCI-E. the card released are crap. Also I would suggest waitin for more mobos which support both AGP 8X and PCI-E. Right now no game supports PCI-E so whats the use....

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
icecoolz said:
at this point there is no good card which is released for PCI-E. the card released are ****. Also I would suggest waitin for more mobos which support both AGP 8X and PCI-E. Right now no game supports PCI-E so whats the use....

Games supporting PCI-E ?? ! Huh ........I hope you meant sumthng else.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
blade:

I meant none of the games make use of the 16 x capabilities - my mishtake :D

theraven

Technomancer
icecoolz said:
blade:

I meant none of the games make use of the 16 x capabilities - my mishtake :D
???
this is not like runnin a 32 bit game on a 64 bit PC
the 16x lanes only help runnin the game better
the "GAME" doesnt support it ... the "HARDWARE" supports the game
in simpler words ....
Code:
 PCI-E + really good PCI-E graphics card = KICK @$$ game play !

theraven

Technomancer
u did ???
i still couldnt make any sense of it .. !!
help me out here blade

rohanbee

Padawan
The 9 series of motherboards support a new interface called the PCI express x 16. So what intel is saying is this graphics port can handle twice the speed of your high end agp x8 port.
So for this you have to shift to a pcie based card which is either a native pcie or a bridged version. nvidia has already come out with quite a few native pcie cards. I myself am planning to buy a 6600 gt based pcie card for my intel 915gav board.
One of my friends and me did get to try a MSI nvidia 5750 pcie, being not too much of techies ourselves we could not find any difference in the 5700 he already had??
Although a lot of reviews have pointed out that eventually the differences will be seen in time to come :?

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
theraven said:
u did ???
i still couldnt make any sense of it .. !!
help me out here blade

He is referring to the classic AGP 8X bandwidth being not fully utilised argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.