Are 915 motherboards AGP 8x compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny_geo

Broken In
I just heard from someone, that the the new motherboards with intel 915 chipset have only PCI express slots and need PCI express graphics cards.

My question is, with a 915 motherboard, can I run a graphics card like the XFX Geforce FX 5700 Ultra?

Actually, the situation is like this :-
- I have a 845 motherboard with P4 2.4 GHz processor, the board doesnt have an AGP slot.
- I need to install a graphics card, so I'm planning to upgrade my comp.
- I thought of going in for 915 motherboard with a 3.0 GHz processor, that will cost me somewhere around 16,000
- If it doesn,t support an AGP 8x graphics card, then I better go in for a 865 motherboard, and a P4 2.8 HT, which may be available for 6,000 for me, what should I do, please help!!!

ganesh8

Broken In
915 mobos have PCI Express slots and will not accept AGP cards. Your best bet is to go for a 865 or a 875 chipset

[flAsh]

In the zone
sorry intel's 915G doesn't support agp8x cards but Via PT900 (or something like that) suupports both PCI -e and AGP8x.

imgame

Broken In
no 915 doesn't support AGP 8x .......unlike AGP .....PCI ex ....the two are diffrent technologies ....so look for a mobo that has support for both or go to some other chipset or AMD.......!

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
I'd suggest u go for 915 platform for th sake of future compatibility and then get a PCI-express based gfx card.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
at this point there is no good card which is released for PCI-E. the card released are crap. Also I would suggest waitin for more mobos which support both AGP 8X and PCI-E. Right now no game supports PCI-E so whats the use....

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
icecoolz said:
at this point there is no good card which is released for PCI-E. the card released are ****. Also I would suggest waitin for more mobos which support both AGP 8X and PCI-E. Right now no game supports PCI-E so whats the use....

Games supporting PCI-E ?? ! Huh ........I hope you meant sumthng else.

theraven

Technomancer
icecoolz said:
blade:

I meant none of the games make use of the 16 x capabilities - my mishtake :D
???
this is not like runnin a 32 bit game on a 64 bit PC
the 16x lanes only help runnin the game better
the "GAME" doesnt support it ... the "HARDWARE" supports the game
in simpler words ....
Code:
 PCI-E + really good PCI-E graphics card = KICK @$$ game play !

rohanbee

Padawan
The 9 series of motherboards support a new interface called the PCI express x 16. So what intel is saying is this graphics port can handle twice the speed of your high end agp x8 port.
So for this you have to shift to a pcie based card which is either a native pcie or a bridged version. nvidia has already come out with quite a few native pcie cards. I myself am planning to buy a 6600 gt based pcie card for my intel 915gav board.
One of my friends and me did get to try a MSI nvidia 5750 pcie, being not too much of techies ourselves we could not find any difference in the 5700 he already had??
Although a lot of reviews have pointed out that eventually the differences will be seen in time to come :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom