Apple or dell

evilwit

Journeyman
Hey guys,
I want to buy a new laptop for myself.I have two laptops in my mind.One is dell Inspiron 15 7000 series with an i7 processor and another one is Apple Macbook Pro retina 13 late 2013 256GB model.So,the queries

*I am a windows user now,so how difficult is to learn using a mac?

*Does Mac have enough apps for a person like me who likes to listen music,watch HD youtube videos and movies and occasionally likes to play around with new hacking apps,modding android phones and other stuff like that?Like if i need a app for something new,the app store should have that.Once i bought a blackberry with a logic that I don't need that much apps but ended up selling up after 2 months of purchase.I don't want to do that mistake again.

*How's gaming on mac?I am casual gamer who likes to play FPS.Can latest games be played on this with playable frame rates?

*The reason I am preferring mac because of the attention it garners plus snappy performance.And the reason I am not preferring dell cause its very heavy and less portable and also because i doesn't have a ssd.But are these reasons justifed?

thanks

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Hey guys,
I want to buy a new laptop for myself.I have two laptops in my mind.One is dell Inspiron 15 7000 series with an i7 processor and another one is Apple Macbook Pro retina 13 late 2013 256GB model.So,the queries

*I am a windows user now,so how difficult is to learn using a mac?

*Does Mac have enough apps for a person like me who likes to listen music,watch HD youtube videos and movies and occasionally likes to play around with new hacking apps,modding android phones and other stuff like that?Like if i need a app for something new,the app store should have that.Once i bought a blackberry with a logic that I don't need that much apps but ended up selling up after 2 months of purchase.I don't want to do that mistake again.

*How's gaming on mac?I am casual gamer who likes to play FPS.Can latest games be played on this with playable frame rates?

*The reason I am preferring mac because of the attention it garners plus snappy performance.And the reason I am not preferring dell cause its very heavy and less portable and also because i doesn't have a ssd.But are these reasons justifed?

thanks

Stick to dell I have both a 2010 Mac Pro (desktop not MacBook Pro) and a dell Inspiron 15R 7520 and windows is still the best
Macs are only good for older ppl who want a fancy laptop to access the web

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why Do Designers Use Macs?

if you have the money,don't want to fiddle with settings or do experiments with softwares & more interested in showing off your laptop rather than your computer skills then get mac else get windows.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
if thats the thing then why do all the young people use it professionaly

see ppl who buy macs are specific
for video editing mac pros are the best (my parents have recordign studios so we use mac pro there and two of them are at my house)
we indians are show offs usually and dont care abt vfm or anything else
we see someone on the road with an iphone and we say "arre uske paas iphone hai!!''
the same is with girls and a few technologically ignorant youths including guys who want to show off how rich they are etc
IMO dont get a mac unless ur into editing , the dell is better to maintain vfm and will play games lightyears ahead of any mac and will last longer
plus dell is better in service and warranty , apple india doesnt give a sh** abt consumers
this coming from someone with both equal nos of apple and non apple products
the dell will serve u better
hope i helped :)
post if u still have any queries

''if thats the thing then why do all the young people use it professionaly''
correction -
if thats the thing then why do all the young noobs act like they use it professionaly

if you have the money,don't want to fiddle with settings or do experiments with softwares & more interested in showing off your laptop rather than your computer skills then get mac else get windows.

+100000
plus gaming sucks on macs at even low settings

ohh and i thought i should add my friend bought a macbook air 13'' same time as my 7520 and hes sent it to the mapple service centre like a million times without any solution for his degrading battery life(was 10 hrs avg now is less than even 3)
they refuse to accept it as a hardware issue and keep saying he needs to update from mountain lion to mavericks
but if that was the case why was it working properly in the initial few months on the same software
plus macs arent upgradable at all so no 3rd party service
he finally gave up and bought an HP ultrabook with elementary os and is happier with it and says its better in every way than osx

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?

Not only designing, for any development purpose, mac is best. For personal, windows.

@OP, why to stick to dell? there are a lot of other brands. Sony laptops are also eye candy.
Gaming in Mac is limited. You will not get the latest games on Mac.

masterkd

Padawan
Not only designing, for any development purpose, mac is best. For personal, windows.

For development mac is not anywhere near best. I need to use mac everyday and mac is only good for iOS or mac OS development. Anything that needs java sucks in mac. For development nothing beats Linux.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
long battery life on macs helps
for gaming, there are a diff set of games available, and these are great for casual gamers. steam has a modest library. there are some fps, modern combat : domination or dragon hunter : sniper choice. at least the mac app store has a steady stream of content over the windows 8 store, but the mac wont play all the latest or old pc titles

getting to know windows 8 is at least as hard as getting used to a mac, even 8 has a bunch of trackpad gestures similar to the functionality on macbooks

go for the macbook it will last much longer

$hadow

Geek in making
And understanding gestures can be a pain if you are new to it like I was once on my y510p.
But still macs does provides a very decent battery life and looks as well if you want to flaunt it :-D.
my vote goes for mac

Monk

Journeyman
I have always been a windows guy, i been using pc's ever since. Recently i bought a MBA (Mac Book Air) and so far it has been a great experience! Wish i had bought it earlier!!

1.) I find mac to be more user friendly, everything is where it suppose to be. After solving the initial riddles like 'How do i right click', or where is program files and stuff. You will cruise along the learning curve, it isn't steep. It's rather enjoyable.

2.) Apple store is very strictly moderated store. So there aren't any BS or fake apps there. All apps i have downloaded i have found them to be of high quality, and without glitches. There are tons of apps there, pretty sure you will find anything you need. And yes, there are alternative places where you can get less 'moderated' apps.

3.) I'm a gamer, and only thing i was skeptical about was gaming on a MBA. But to my surprise there are some good casual games on the appstore and on steam. I just bought CS:GO and loving it!

4.) Track pad on MBA is amazing, i have never used any track pad as comfortable as on this machine, pro-tip: Learn all gestures, it will make your life easy! Battery life is also a plus, i can use it around 8-10ish hours with a single charge. I haven't used a retina display but i think it will blow you away. Coming from 1366x768 laptop, i was amazed to see the colors on my new MBA. (Non- Retina)

OP
E

evilwit

Journeyman
I have always been a windows guy, i been using pc's ever since. Recently i bought a MBA (Mac Book Air) and so far it has been a great experience! Wish i had bought it earlier!!

1.) I find mac to be more user friendly, everything is where it suppose to be. After solving the initial riddles like 'How do i right click', or where is program files and stuff. You will cruise along the learning curve, it isn't steep. It's rather enjoyable.

2.) Apple store is very strictly moderated store. So there aren't any BS or fake apps there. All apps i have downloaded i have found them to be of high quality, and without glitches. There are tons of apps there, pretty sure you will find anything you need. And yes, there are alternative places where you can get less 'moderated' apps.

3.) I'm a gamer, and only thing i was skeptical about was gaming on a MBA. But to my surprise there are some good casual games on the appstore and on steam. I just bought CS:GO and loving it!

4.) Track pad on MBA is amazing, i have never used any track pad as comfortable as on this machine, pro-tip: Learn all gestures, it will make your life easy! Battery life is also a plus, i can use it around 8-10ish hours with a single charge. I haven't used a retina display but i think it will blow you away. Coming from 1366x768 laptop, i was amazed to see the colors on my new MBA. (Non- Retina)

thanks for the reply.but can you tell me from where can I get those less moderated apps for mac?I actually found lots of penetration testing apps like kismet,kismac,.backtrack etc.thanks

Krow

Crowman
IMHO, Macbooks aren't VFM hardware wise. If your budget is around 70k, get lenovo y510.
:lol: stop posting rubbish in every Apple thread.

*indianexpress.com/article/technolo...e-macbook-air-cheaper-than-windows-laptops/0/

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
:lol: stop posting rubbish in every Apple thread.

*indianexpress.com/article/technolo...e-macbook-air-cheaper-than-windows-laptops/0/

:deadbored:

I don't see how a laptop with 11 inch 768p screen, no GPU, 4th gen core i5 and a mere 4 gb ram is better than a laptop having 15 inch FHD screen, nvidia gt 750m, 4th gen core i7 and 8 GB ram at the same price.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
thanks for the reply.but can you tell me from where can I get those less moderated apps for mac?I actually found lots of penetration testing apps like kismet,kismac,.backtrack etc.thanks
Backtrack is an OS with tools for penetration testing. So it won't matter whether buy a laptop with windows os or one with mac os. You'll have to boot into backtrack for penetration-testing purposes.

Last edited:

Monk

Journeyman

A quick you tube search will yield you results.

Edit: Well this thread is turning into yet another mac vs pc. I'm outta here!

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
:deadbored:

I don't see how a laptop with 11 inch 768p screen, no GPU, 4th gen core i5 and a mere 4 gb ram is better than a laptop having 15 inch FHD screen, nvidia gt 750m, 4th gen core i7 and 8 GB ram at the same price.

:lol: Can you read the first post? It says he'd prefer a portable laptop with an SSD. While you're drooling over the spec sheet, the fact is that MacBooks are far more portable and stable than Windows counterparts. Every Windows laptop I've owned has inevitably become very slow after a year or two of usage. Not the case with Mac users. :)

Also, feel free to comment if you've used a device. Too many fools on the Internet look at spec sheets to make recommendations. Try not to be one of them. :)

Top Bottom