Apple or dell

OP
E

evilwit

Journeyman
can you guys suggest some other windows laptop which is slim around 14inch screen.8 gigs of ram.a decent GPU and ssd.no acer,
hcl etc.upcoming models are also welcomed

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
listen. get the macbook if you can and run windows on it for the software you need. the mac exclusive software run better on the macs then windows exclusive software. you do not need to hog resources with an anti virus. every usb is safe, thats like thousands of reasons to get a mac.
go for the dell otherwise, but the build quality sucks, spend 2k extra to get the touch screen version, ensure you get a couple of add-ons, which should include a bag, a headset, and a shopping voucher, free one year subscription to anti virus, get a spare battery, its gonna get expensive later on.

OP
E

evilwit

Journeyman
listen. get the macbook if you can and run windows on it for the software you need. the mac exclusive software run better on the macs then windows exclusive software. you do not need to hog resources with an anti virus. every usb is safe, thats like thousands of reasons to get a mac.
go for the dell otherwise, but the build quality sucks, spend 2k extra to get the touch screen version, ensure you get a couple of add-ons, which should include a bag, a headset, and a shopping voucher, free one year subscription to anti virus, get a spare battery, its gonna get expensive later on.

thanks man for the reply.can I run windows virtually on mac for the softwares I need and when I dont need the software I can run mac osx?will it run like as it runs as on dell?and is this true that a windows laptop will turn slow gradually and the mac wont?

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
@OP: First try a Mac with bootcamp from any of your friends before you buy. There is no turning back once you buy it.

You will not be shutting down windows, then go to boot camp, then change boot disk and boot into mac just to browse. You will just simply continue in Windows as you already will be having a browser. So what would be the point of getting a Mac? Yes there are good games for Mac, but are there any that you play?

Quoting yourself:
Once i bought a blackberry with a logic that I don't need that much apps but ended up selling up after 2 months of purchase.I don't want to do that mistake again.

And a lone Macbook is not going to give you any fulfilment. If you have any other Apple devices (eg, an iPod), then your Apple experience will certainly be enhanced, but otherwise you may be pondering why did not go with a Windows option.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl

This is one of the dumbest thing i heard from an apple enthusiast against windows, no offense, this no virus theme is ridiculously lame to convince a user to buy apple products, there are lot many pros to one apple device ( which are indeed great ) which exclusively can be mentioned but this one.

I'm using windows 7 for more than 4 years and windows 8 for almost 7 months, NOT even a single instance of virus or Malware could led harm to my PC,

To be honest I kept on opening too many sites with harmful cookie warnings, ad-wares , used USB drives thousand times which every time returned with a f**ing hive of viruses and worms from other machines. Not even a single time the properly updated windows defender failed to protect from em. Never ever i have formatted the PC or recovered or repaired till date. and I do not have any antivirus installed in my laptop, never did and never will.

And seriously, if people can buy Macbooks worth of 68K, its not a mission to mars to have AVG installed in a windows laptop...for free

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
not an apple enthusiast. tech enthusiast. dont stop people from making a good purchase because of biased opinions. even im out of here.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
I stand as none to influence someone with a mere fact that having a free antivirus in a windows PC isn't too bad. Hope Apple devices are not too fragile to get hurt by this. Apologies if offended.

I'm not stopping anyone to buy anything, people can use their own money to buy whatever they want, i just pointed out that among thousand other great aspects of Mac, this was not nearly a sound one. I don't need biased opinions to make clear statements.

OP
E

evilwit

Journeyman
Guys thanks for replying.I really appreciate it.All the things which are pointed out here have help me to decide and buy whatever which is better for me.Now coming to the point,
few things have became after this much of discussion.

Apple:it is snappy.
it has less apps(read:penetration testing apps)
Light and portable.

Dell:can game much better on this.
it supports all the apps which I need.
is heavy.

so actually I am going to enroll in CEH very soon so gonna need a laptop which runs all the apps.portability is good but most of the time the the laptop is going to ly on the desk.so only have one issue.will windows be fast enough?please help

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Windows on a ssd is very fast. Just check if the dell one has a msata slot and you can fit one yourself.

OP
E

evilwit

Journeyman
A quick you tube search will yield you results.

Edit: Well this thread is turning into yet another mac vs pc. I'm outta here!

Backtrack is an OS with tools for penetration testing. So it won't matter whether buy a laptop with windows os or one with mac os. You'll have to boot into backtrack for penetration-testing purposes.

can run windows on the macbook using boot camp and play pc games.

hey guys I have decided to for dell.finally.but one thing that is stoping me is that it doesnt have a ssd.it has a hybrid hdd.I dont know what is it?I just wana know that is a hybrid drive as fast as a ssd.and can I install a ssd?thanks .please reply.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
you can always replace your HDD with a SSD.
A SSD is still much faster than a hybrid HDD.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
+10000 these fanboys never get it do they ;)
get the y510p its wayy better and apple india doesnt respect its consumers

Y510p is only good for gaming.
The mac will be better for multitasking / designing and for people who want an extended battery life.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
OP if you can wait for couple of months wait for Y50!
Already retina windows PC have came up!
Plus broadwell will be much much more significant improvement over has well!

OP
E

evilwit

Journeyman
you can always replace your HDD with a SSD.
A SSD is still much faster than a hybrid HDD.

thanks man for the reply.but in specification booklet it says ssd with "Intel smart with cache support" what does it mean?can I install ssds of other companies like samsung?thanks

OP
E

evilwit

Journeyman
OP if you can wait for couple of months wait for Y50!
Already retina windows PC have came up!
Plus broadwell will be much much more significant improvement over has well!

yeah man I have read about it on the internet.but can you tell me when its coming to india?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
yeah man I have read about it on the internet.but can you tell me when its coming to india?

I am estimating another 3-5 months.

thanks man for the reply.but in specification booklet it says ssd with "Intel smart with cache support" what does it mean?can I install ssds of other companies like samsung?thanks

Yes you can, you can add any 2.5" drive.
If your laptop has a msata drive then it's even better, no need to replace.

Top Bottom