Apple MacBook Air: Full Review by PC Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Apple MacBook Air

By Cisco Cheng
Browsing through Apple's growing list of products, you'll find there's no shortage of lightweight yet still powerful laptops that rival, and to some extent surpass, many of their Windows counterparts. For instance, there are the MacBook Pro 17-inch and 15-inch laptops, arguably the lightest in their respective categories. But for quite some time now, Apple fanatics have been calling for something that can actually be classified as an ultraportable, something that breaks the 4-pound barrier. Finally, Apple has answered with the Apple MacBook Air ($1,799 direct).
*img266.imageshack.us/img266/6743/overviewbigairone200801ui1.png​

The MacBook Air is a new class of laptop, even though it has a design similar to its MacBook Pro brethren. What makes this ultraportable different from the MacBook Pros and everything else in the industry is its thickness, or rather, lack thereof. It measures 0.76 inches deep at the back, tapering down to 0.16 inches as you move toward the front bezel. That's simply unheard of for a 13-inch ultraportable. The MacBook Air weighs in at 3 pounds and includes features that the rumor sites had long been predicting, including a 13-inch LED screen and an optional SSD drive. It lacks an internal optical drive, and the (very) limited number of connectivity ports will raise eyebrows, but the $1,799 starting price, standard-voltage processing parts, and full-size keyboard make up for its few limitations.

It goes without saying that the MacBook Air's design is absolutely gorgeous. The system is basically the length and width of the MacBook 13-inch, except it's more than 25 percent thinner in the back and almost 90 percent thinner near the front bezel. Although a 3-pound chassis is certainly nothing to sniff at, the light weight would have been more impressive if Apple had managed to integrate an optical drive. The Panasonic Toughbook W4, the Sony VAIO VGN-TZ150N, and the Toshiba Portege R500 all integrate optical drives at 2.7 to 2.9 pounds. None of these, however, even comes close to the MacBook Air's screen size. Its 13-inch LED screen is by far the largest on a 3-pound laptop and is just as bright as a MacBook Pro 15-inch(LED) when the two are next to one another. By contrast, the Panasonic W4 and Toshiba R500 offer 12-inch screens.

Going with a 13-inch screen lets Apple easily integrate a full-size keyboard, which is nearly identical to the one found on the MacBook 13-inch. The only differences are that the Air keyboard is illuminated, a feature brought over from the MacBook Pros, and it's black. I'm a little skeptical about the color scheme. The black keyboard may not be a complete design faux pas, but a white keyboard would blend in better with the aluminum chassis. Perhaps Apple chose to accentuate the keyboard as an aid to the user, along with the backlighting, in dimmer surroundings, or maybe the company wanted to move away from the design of the MacBook 13-inch. In general, the raised keyboard is comfortable to type on. It's larger than the raised-keyboard of the Sony TZ150N, which is only 91 percent of full size. The Portégé R500 and ToughBook W4 have traditional-looking, full-size keyboards. Still, I think the best keyboard belongs to the Lenovo ThinkPad X61.

The aluminum casing is completely recyclable, similar to that of the MacBook Pros. You won't find a trace of arsenic and mercury on the display or on the display's glass screen. All of the Apple-designed circuit boards are also PVC- and BFR (Bromide)-free. Apple is also touting the fact that, in addition to being rid of all these hazardous materials, the MacBook Air is Energy Star 4.0–certified and EPEAT silver–compliant. Read more...

[Via PC Magazine]

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Comparing it to few other ultra portables. The good thing about Macbook Air is that it's thin, that's it.

This assuming that Macbook Air is purchased with necessary perripherals such as external Optical Drive, LAN Adapter & one USB HUB. Total cost =

Sony Vaio VGN SZ740 Ultraportable.

*img139.imageshack.us/img139/863/snag0000yd4.jpg

*img147.imageshack.us/img147/2668/snag0001hx1.jpg

So, which is a better option??????? Macbook air at such high cost, no features & Mono speakers but thin or Sony Vaio at low cost, same screen size but 1 inch thicker then Macbook air & same in weight.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Arya was touting that macbook Air is meant for lite works like checking your e-mails on the go, or showing a presentation to someone or listening to music while in the car (iPod anyone :D) or watching pictures & checking his articles on Macrumors....but hey if these are the things a person is supposed to use Macbook Air for then why not instead buy Asys EEE PC instead for 40% the cost of MBA.

Oh wait...EEE Pc isn't from Apple, but if it was the other way arround & Asus relesing MBA & apple releasing EEE PC then according to him EEE PC would have been the best :D

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Comparing the two, i say Sony wins.

It is Apple in the looks department, nothing in the world beats it right now. But just compare the Processor, Ram, Fingerprint reader, Optical Drive, HD.

And with the price, i am sorry, i am no ambani to be able to buy gadgets just to show off.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I forgot to add. Sony Vaio is made of Carbon Fiber while Macbook Air is made of aluminum.

Scientifically Carbon Fiber is stronger then similarly thick Aluminum

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Comparing it to few other ultra portables. The good thing about Macbook Air is that it's thin, that's it.
Which, I might add, is the whole point of an ultra-portable.

This assuming that Macbook Air is purchased with necessary perripherals such as external Optical Drive, LAN Adapter & one USB HUB.
Yeah, smooth move. Include a lot of accessories to make it more pricey than the competing notebook and then cry foul about it being more expensive. Classy! :lol:

Macbook air at such high cost
It costs just $20 more than the Sony notebook you compared it to.

no features
Yeah, right!

Mono speakers
Sensible people use headphones when listening to something in public, which is where you are supposed to use ultra-portable notebooks. It's like crying foul about the iPod not having speakers.

Very thin.

Sony Viao at low cost
$20 low.

same screen size
Not with LED backlighting or automatic brightness control based on the ambient lighting conditions.

but 1 inch thicker then Macbook air
One whole inch thicker than the MacBook Air! Even my MacBook Pro is thinner than that Sony Viao. The Sony hardly even competes with the MacBook Air because it is not an ultra-portable.

Apart from the ones already pointed out above, these are the other things this Sony notebook still lacks:
1. A backlit keyboard;
2. MagSafe power connecter and
3. Mac OS X.

So, here's the answer to your question:

So, which is a better option???????
The Apple MacBook Air, if you need an ultra-portable notebook. The second model of the MacBook, if you need a SuperDrive, ethernet ports, et all.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
Yeah, smooth move. Include a lot of accessories to make it more pricey than the competing notebook and then cry foul about it being more expensive. Classy! :lol:

Base price of Macbook air $1800.
Price of pimped up Sony Vaio SZ mentioned above $ 1779

Difference = With Sony you get everything at low cost which you won't get at Macbook Air base such as optical drive, onboard LAN etc etc.

It costs just $20 more than the Sony notebook you compared it to.

And provides 30% of the features of Sony *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif

Either you except that Macbook Air is not value for money & Apple is extorting money or be quite. Everyone can see which notebook is better...

Not with LED backlighting or automatic brightness control based on the ambient lighting conditions.

LED Backlit = Yes

Ambiant Brightness control = Don't know.

One whole inch thicker than the MacBook Air! Even my MacBook Pro is thinner than that Sony Viao. The Sony hardly even competes with the MacBook Air because it is not an ultra-portable.

I was not able to find the dimension info of this laptop so I just wrote it. Assume as u like...u r free.

1. A backlit keyboard;

I agree, yeah... *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/2.gif
2. MagSafe power connecter

Oh comon, due to one stupid Apple patent it cannot be given in Sony do this point is irrelevent.

3. Mac OS X.

*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif That's a good thing....

So, here's the answer to your question:
The Apple MacBook Air, if you need an ultra-portable notebook.

Which is of no practical use.

The second model of the MacBook, if you need a SuperDrive, ethernet ports, et all.

a better logical buy then Macbook Air.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@arya: all the points u mentioned in the post abv gx have just 1 answer:

save it; the air sucks big time when it comes to features compared to the *only* competition it has. 1 inch thicker i can compromise for a dvd drive to watch my latest 24 season dvd i bought from planet m yesterday ;)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You're not compromising anything. You're just not buying an ultra-portable and you probably don't need one, so you're making a good choice.

Stop bashing the MacBook Air though because it is not what you want it to be. It is the best at what it wants to be and there are a lot of people who were eagerly waiting for Apple to launch this product and it's perfect for them.

Apple already has those other products you are comparing it to and they come with SuperDrives and ethernet ports and whatnot. It makes little sense to have two different computers with same configurations in the line-up with the name being the only differentiation.

I have no idea why such a simple little concept is so extremely difficult for you to grasp.

Here's my last attempt, a simple analogy, to try to make it clear to you. Argue all you want to after this post, point out mistakes in this analogy, do whatever you want. Just be aware that if this does not make the concept clear to you, I give up. Ignorance truly is bliss.

There are three types of cellular phones - the really simple ones that are usually small and can take some rough handling, the medium grade ones that try to be a lot of things to a lot of people but are not the best at most of the things they do and the really large phones that have a truckload of features and whatnot.

If you pick up a phone from the first category and start whining that it does not have a 3.0 MP camera, there's not much I can do to help you.

Similarly, the MacBook, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro are three different products that seek to serve three different markets. Most people in India are simply not the target market for the MacBook Air because the concept of having a secondary computer is unheard of in our country.

I also know that the phone analogy is not exactly the same as the notebook case. With notebooks, making it small beyond a certain limit actually means spending more because you're going where no one else has ever gone before. When you're asking Intel to make a custom processor that is 60% smaller than the currently available processors and designing a motherboard the size of a pencil, you actually have to spend more to get there.

Add to that the premium that companies add when they launch a brand new product that they know will be in high demand. Nokia does it too with highly anticipated phone models. All sensible companies will do it. They are out to make profits, not serve you. Eventually the prices will go down but if you want to be on the cutting edge of technology, you have to bite the bullet and pluck out that wallet. If you don't want to do that, fine. But stop ridiculing stuff when it is not appropriate and clearly undeserved. I know it is like second nature for you to bash Apple but you should give credit where it is due every once in a while.

I don't mind bashing Apple when they deserve it, why shouldn't you do the opposite where it is justified. Just some food for thought. If possible, try to mull over it for a few minutes.

If you still want to continue with the pointless arguments - by all means, feel free to continue. It keeps the thread at the top of the reviews section and more people get to read PC Magazine's glowing review of the MacBook Air. :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Stop bashing the MacBook Air though because it is not what you want it to be. It is the best at what it wants to be and there are a lot of people who were eagerly waiting for Apple to launch this product and it's perfect for them.

From what we read all over the net, other then macboys not many people are interested.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ok heres a simpler analogy:

there is a product already in the market that has more capabilities than the 1 u r launching the only thing u add to it is that u are making it thinner and compromising on certain features with an excuse that u are making it thinner

now how about making ur existing product which is more successful and has been in the market y not upgrade it; make it lighter and make it thinner to an extent :?: give the mbp a sexy black carbon body (sexier than halle berry) make it lighter; make it more powerful .... the only problem with that is then the keynote becomes lame and boring

i hope u get my point

praka123

left this forum longback
well I'll take a tata nano rather than wasting $2500+ for a plastic board :rolleyes: think man!
I can see 2 or 3 exceptions here may be ;)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
It definitely isn't for Linux users.

ok heres a simpler analogy:

there is a product already in the market that has more capabilities than the 1 u r launching the only thing u add to it is that u are making it thinner and compromising on certain features with an excuse that u are making it thinner

now how about making ur existing product which is more successful and has been in the market y not upgrade it; make it lighter and make it thinner to an extent :?: give the mbp a sexy black carbon body (sexier than halle berry) make it lighter; make it more powerful .... the only problem with that is then the keynote becomes lame and boring

i hope u get my point
No matter what you do, you cannot squeeze a MacBook Pro into an ultra-portable form factor. The MacBook Pro will be updated when it's time and the cycle will continue.

The Air, for the last time, has a completely different target market. I'll explain the market as an answer to gx_saurav's comment.

From what we read all over the net, other then macboys not many people are interested.
Maybe. The target market for the MacBook Air are people who:
1. Already own a primary computer, preferably a desktop and that too, a Mac;
2. Frequently need to carry around a notebook all the time;
3. Aren't tightwads; and
4. Appreciate good design.

Of course, most of them are "macboys" because people would only consider buying a MacBook Air if they already appreciate Apple products. It's isn't the computer for the switcher.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i think ur 4 points have been answered more than once in of the million threads started by you on mac expo or prodcuts shown at the expo

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Yes, if u say Apple's hardware design sux then u r wrong...

If u say Apple's software backend & prices & restrictions sux then u r right.

utsav

damn busy...
I know a guy from our forum who runs xp ,vista ,ubuntu ,mac os x in his PC.:D its true.i want a ipod iphone imac macbook pro to reveal his name :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom