Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
desiibond said:
Strange. I could have promised that I already mentioned that...

desiibond said:
WTH! Wi-Fi does not work in India? What are you smoking, dude!

desiibond said:
I agree. I'd forgotten this one.

desiibond said:
4) 2mp camera that doesn't record video and doesn't have flash to take pics at night
Oh, and it does these two things outside of India? Weird.

desiibond said:
Remove these and there isn't much iphone can do more than what Nokia 6233 or LG shine bar edition can do.
The same old bullshit! Do you guys never get tired!

desiibond said:
It's worthy to invest in ipod touch but totally insane to buy iphone in India.
You said that "many feature in iphone are of no use in India" and could only list two. That's the definition of "many"?

I know you don't but I am sure there are many people in India who care about how the device does whatever it can, not just what are all the features crammed into it! For them, it is not "totally insane" to buy the phone with the best user interface on any device ever. The user interface is what you use every single time you use the phone, not the video recording capabilities of the camera.

desiibond said:
There are much better phones for that price that have more bang for the buck.
Depends on what is your benchmark for products "that have more bang for the buck". Mine is the quality of the product, not just its five-hundred page long list of specifications. The iPhone, right now, is clearly the best product in the market when it comes to quality.

That's my opinion, anyway.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
wi-fi is available in India but only in corporates or as wi-max. But is there wi-fi on the go like in couple of cities in US. I mean connect to wifi using iphone, browse high speed internet. I don't think so.

Yes. 500 page list of spec's doesn't make a great phone. How much can you use your phone for day to day work is what makes a great phone.

eg: take Nokia Xpress Music 5700 or N70 or SE W810i. Look at how much they do at about 40% or the price of iphone. They do everything that iphone does and more. The only department that iphone excel's is touch interface. Phone is a phone. Whether it is iphone or jphone, it should be a phone first and then music player or anything else. iphone on the other hand, is first an ipod and then a phone. The expected price of 28k+ is damn too high such phone in India.

It is made for US customers, not for Indians. They can use every single feature it has.

they can browse the internet using high speed wifi in their cities
they use iTMS a lot
They use full qwerty keypad a lot. How many in India are using smartphones and how many are using full qwerty?
They use internet a lot (for almost everything), we hardly open internet on our mobile phones.
They prefer listening to music while traveling, we prefer to have GD's with our fellow travelers :)
iphone i US is availble for 16k (when converted to rupees). here ipod touch 8gig is 17k. and iphone 8gig will be atleast 8k more. That is pure robbery. Paying 26-27k for a phone that is priced at 16-17k is insane, when for that price, you can easily get N95 or two N73's. Keep one N73 and gift one to your girlfriend. You will get more pleasure than using iphone. :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
desiibond said:
wi-fi is available in India but only in corporates or as wi-max. But is there wi-fi on the go like in couple of cities in US. I mean connect to wifi using iphone, browse high speed internet. I don't think so.
I have Wi-Fi in my home, dude. It is very useful for me. It is useful for Milind. It is useful for a lot of people.

desiibond said:
Whether it is iphone or jphone, it should be a phone first and then music player or anything else. iphone on the other hand, is first an ipod and then a phone.
How so? The first and most prominent icon on the iPhone is for the Phone function. It makes and receives calls well. It has a very advanced phonebook. What else do you need?

The only different between the iPhone and other converged devices is that it not only does a lot of things, it does them all like a dedicated device for each one does. And people don't expect that. You don't like the iPhone because you think that, being from Apple, it will only have a great iPod built-in but will suck at doing other tasks. You think that because you don't "get" Apple. You don't know that they will either make a great product or not make one at all. They won't do a mash-up job.

desiibond said:
we hardly open internet on our mobile phones
Again, you don't "get" Apple. I didn't use Bluetooth for synchronising my phone with my computer even though my computer has Bluetooth. When I switched to a Mac, I started using it. I didn't use Wi-Fi before. I started using it after buying a Mac. I'd never done a virtual machine setup or a VPN setup before, nor had I done screen sharing - I started doing all this after switching to a Mac. The world wanted to stick with CRT monitors and floppy drives. Apple changed that attitude and now, because of them, LCDs and CD-ROMS are popular today.

Similarly, you don't use the Internet on your phone now. But you would, if you had an iPhone.

I know it all sounds very fanboyish but well, that's just the way it is. The point is, only after you have used it will you appreciate what a huge revolution that phone is. Every company worth its salt is copying it now. Touchscreens have suddenly become the most important feature on almost every high-end phone out there. Why? Is everyone stupid? Nokia's executives have publicly admitted that they are attempting to copy the iPhone and that it is a giant step forward. Is Nokia stupid?

I know what this is. I've been haring similar comments from gx_saurav and iMav about the Mac for several months now. This is just "sour grapes". We can't have it so why not bash it!

The crippled Bluetooth, inability to copy-paste and to send an SMS to multiple contacts simultaneously are the only drawbacks of the iPhone, IMHO. Severe drawbacks, I accept. I also hate the fact that the 3.5mm jack is recessed and won't work with a lot of normal third-party headphones.

These are the stupid things that are currently keeping me on the fence. I still haven't made the decision whether I'll be buying it. If it comes only with a postpaid plan, that will be another huge factor for me. I might not buy the phone then.

But, all said and done, there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that this is definitely the best mobile phone ever made, drawbacks and all. :)

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
"The only different between the iPhone and other converged devices is that it not only does a lot of things, it does them all like a dedicated device for each one does" - :lol: :lol: it is dedicated to everything other than being a phone .... no mms; no 3g; no sending files via bluetooth; no fcuk there are so many nos cant remmber them also :lol:

"This is just "sour grapes". We can't have it so why not bash it!" - just coz ur father paid for ur mac book doesnt make us less privelleged its just that we got brains and no where to spend the money ;)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I'm not implying that you are "less privelleged" or cannot afford it or any such thing. Please don't purposely misquote me!

And let us stop this non-discussion right here. You'll never get my point and vice versa. superczar was right. This just keeps going on and on in circles.

superczar

-n00b-
For the record. google maps works perfectly well here..
The only feature that does not work is visual voicemail...

....I am out of here

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Follow maps in Bangalore and you will be pleading for mercy infront of a Traffic police. :)

coz aaj jo one way hai, kal two way ho jaayega aur kal jo two way hi aaj one way ho jaayegaa.

Better use "instant maps" that are available everywhere. People :)

Last edited:

superczar

-n00b-
^^^
Use Google/Wikipedia to lookup information in India and you will be running around trying to get your computer fixed after a short while

Coz the power fluctutations on Indian gridlines will ensure your computer dies off in a few weeks

Better use "Instant search" that is available in your neighborhood library, the paper card based library filing system

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
superczar said:
For the record. google maps works perfectly well here..
Actually, no, it doesn't. It just sort of works. The highest zoom level in the satellite view is too zoomed out, there is very little detail (you cannot find the nearest McDonald's in India like you can in the US) and traffic information and directions are not supported in India.

superczar said:
The only feature that does not work is visual voicemail...
That does not work right now, when the phone is not officially launched in India because no carrier here supports it. It will work, however, when Apple comes to India in 2008. :)

superczar

-n00b-
Actually, no, it doesn't. It just sort of works. The highest zoom level in the satellite view is too zoomed out, there is very little detail (you cannot find the nearest McDonald's in India like you can in the US) and traffic information and directions are not supported in India.
LOL Arya...

Here is a sample link:
*maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=Dominos,+adyar&sll=13.013715,80.272164&sspn=0.023792,0.034676&ie=UTF8&latlng=12997020,80271408,3920610965265756896&ei=5o4gR62cM5qEjQP80Py7DQ&cd=1

Click on the view large map, then zoom in to you hearts' content

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Well, it does not even recognise the Red Fort! And even in that map you linked me too, that don't have satellite imagery for the highest zoom level, nor can they provide directions or traffic information. :)

superczar

-n00b-
Traffic info is indeed missing...

As for maps, I don't get why you waould want Satellite images at the highest zoom level? As in what practical use exists for it?

As for the red fort, LOL... just search for re fort, New Delhi
shows up perfect for me

OP
Angad singh

Angad singh

Broken In
Thanks for ur replies guys... so in short i shudnt go for i phone for now....
will wait for it to be launched in india..........

akashprakash

Right off the assembly line
hi i am using an iphone 3g. i am having problem connecting to the wifi even though it recognizes it, it doesnt connect to the internet. in my laptop i need to use a dialer to connect to the internet using wifi. plz tell me how i can connect to internet in my iphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom