Status
Not open for further replies.

Angad singh

Broken In
Hey guys anyone here using an unlocked iphone in india.....
actually i am getting one but confused that shud i go for it or not... i just wanted to know are the unlocked phne allow third party applications to be installed on it.... if yes where r they available.....
appreciate ur replies...

Pathik

Google Bot
If the fone is unlocked using iunlock or otherwise u can install 3rd party apps directly using gprs or wifi using the installer patch..
btw dont discuss such things in the forum.. ..

superczar

-n00b-
there's nothing illegal about unlocking cellphones
hence no reason why not to discuss this

Answer for the OP...You can install 3rd party apps using ibrickr
the ibrickr app even links to 3rd party app repositiories

OP
Angad singh

Angad singh

Broken In
thanks for the reply man...
but is this ibrickr installer safe i mean to say are the applications safe to install....

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
What if someone buys it, unlocks it and then, after some days, the speaker stops working or the screen develops a lot of dead pixels or whatever. Where will be he get it serviced from in India? He'll end up with a pretty expensive and shiny paperweight.

superczar

-n00b-
hmm, thats true for buying any product from the gray market
or for that matter, for most products bought in the US or Singapore

should this risk mean that people should not buy stuff from anywhere but from local authorized dealers?

I have picked up tonnes of stuff from all over the place ....hell, I have even scrounged through Ghaffar market (Delhi), 5star and fancy Market (Cal), the notorious Burma Bazaar in chenai (Palika bazaar) and Heera Panna in Mumbai...

no bad experiences as yet..*touches wood :)

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
superczar said:
hmm, thats true for buying any product from the gray market
or for that matter, for most products bought in the US or Singapore
Apple products, though, can be bought from anywhere in the world. Standard international warranty FTW. :)

superczar said:
I have picked up tonnes of stuff from all over the place ....hell, I have even scrounged through Ghaffar market (Delhi), 5star and fancy Market (Cal), the notorious Burma Bazaar in chenai (Palika bazaar) and Heera Panna in Mumbai...
You buy expensive stuff from these markets? :shock:

And even if you do, this is quite a different case. You buy a Sony DVD player from the gray market and some problem crops up after a few months. You can always get it fixed. Who will fix an iPhone, dude?

Personally, I stay as far away from the gray market and from second hand products as possible.

superczar

-n00b-
You buy expensive stuff from these markets?
yes, If I know what exactly I am buying and from who....

e.g. I picked a pair of Marantz Amp (PM-SA 15) and Phase Technology speakers (V-12) from the gray market at 50% of the list price
Having said that, sellers who specialize in hi end equipment are not the usual grey market peddlers...
and once you have a rapport, they will supply even low value items to you with an assurance of getting a warranty coverage on a best efforts basis

The iphone is a different case altogether though

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
NO for gray market. Why the hell would someone want to buy a product worth 25k or 30k, when in 2-3 months is going to be available in India from the manufacturer with full support and warranty? Moreover, ipod touch is now available in India for much lower price and ipod touch is 100 times better buy than iphone since many feature in iphone are of no use in India.

I would suggest you to get decent mobile from the gray market (8k mobile for 5k-6k) and ipod touch from apple store. This would keep your money safe. as losing 5k is lot better than losing 30k (in case of problems).

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
desiibond said:
Moreover, ipod touch is now available in India for much lower price and ipod touch is 100 times better buy than iphone since many feature in iphone are of no use in India.
Care to list some of those? AFAIK, the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store is the sole feature that is going to be crippled in India.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
aryayush said:
What if someone buys it, unlocks it and then, after some days, the speaker stops working or the screen develops a lot of dead pixels or whatever. Where will be he get it serviced from in India? He'll end up with a pretty expensive and shiny paperweight.
OMG cheap hardware i didnt know that abt apple :lol:

K

krazyfrog

aryayush said:
the speaker stops working or the screen develops a lot of dead pixels or whatever.
Honestly Aayush, if something crappy like that could happen to iPhone, then i'll suggest people to stay a mile away from iPhone even after Apple starts officially selling it here. Thats totally disgusting. Which phone today has a speaker that can stop working or a screen that develops a lot of dead pixels all of a sudden?

ray|raven

Think Zen.
It's not like any phone will go bad suddenly.
I'm sure he meant if they developed due to accidents.
I mean like if u drop ur Nokia or SE phone and it's speaker stops working,
you can always go to a service center and get it repaired.
Nothing like that in the case of buying a phone which aint available here.

I'm sure thats what he meant with this.
aryayush said:

Regards,
ray

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Thank you! :)

krazyfrog said:
Honestly Aayush, if something crappy like that could happen to iPhone, then i'll suggest people to stay a mile away from iPhone even after Apple starts officially selling it here. Thats totally disgusting. Which phone today has a speaker that can stop working or a screen that develops a lot of dead pixels all of a sudden?
LOL! I expected something stupid from iMav but even krazyfrog! :lol:

Dude, I obviously am talking about an eventuality. It's hardware, OK? And **** happens. No company or product is perfect. I'm not saying that something bad will happen. I'm just saying that if something does happen, the guy won't be able to get it fixed anywhere. And that, my dear friend, would be disastrous because that phone is going to cost him quite a few bucks.

Get real, dude. I'm appalled that I had to explain such a simple and obviously logical post. Shame indeed!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
aryayush said:
Care to list some of those? AFAIK, the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store is the sole feature that is going to be crippled in India.

1) iTMS
2) Wi-fi
3) maps
4) 2mp camera that doesn't record video and doesn't have flash to take pics at night

Remove these and there isn't much iphone can do more than what Nokia 6233 or LG shine bar edition can do.

It's worthy to invest in ipod touch but totally insane to buy iphone in India.

There are much better phones for that price that have more bang for the buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom