Apple FrontRow...on iBook

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
Some might have heard about Apple's latest iMac G5, which is slimmer, faster and also has a wonderful new feature, FrontRow. (There are more features but I won't ramble)

FrontRow is a Windows Media Center like application where one can control one's music, movies and photos right from the couch. This is done via a remote which very much looks like the iPod Shuffle.

*img500.imageshack.us/img500/9684/frontrow2fx.jpg
pictured here is not the iBook but the iMac. I don't know how to take a screenshot.

Now FrontRow is limited to the new iMac G5 system where there is a remote. But pirates will always get there first. So, I've got the hacked version of FrontRow whereby I can use FrontRow on my iBook G4! This can be controlled by a keyboard no doubt, but it still is nice, I must admit.

The GUI is simply amazing and the user interface is I think a ditto copy of their iPod. The GUI is smooth and beautiful. Loading a library and images might be a bit slow though cause of the slower processor. I didn't manage to get a DVD working but my movies collection played extremely well. Music is almost like having an iPod...

I must admit that it isn't so much fun using it from the keyboard but it sure is a nice experience. Also, I feel like I'm cheating on myself since I'm going to get the new iMac G5 somewhere in December, I'd like it to be a novelty then...

G

gxsaurav

For U guys, front row is nothing but an Interface, a rip of XP MCE, it doesn't even support TV

Until U get an Apple remote, & IR reciver, I don't think it's any use insted of using the usual software whose engine front row uses

gxsaurav said:
For U guys, front row is nothing but an Interface, a rip of XP MCE, it doesn't even support TV

:lol: :wink: :lol: We Windows (and Linux) people have had fully functional HTPC interfaces for ages. And, some of the best ones have been free.

*mediaportal.sourceforge.net/
*www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythFeatures
*www.meedio.com/products/index.html
*www.snapstream.com/products/beyondtv/BeyondTV_Features.asp
*www.freytechnologies.com/stvscreenshots.html?sageSub=tv

OK, I'm not here to start a MAC vs PC war. Let me make that clear. It's about time Apple came out with a FUNCTIONAL HTPC interface as most people have plans for the mini.

Keith

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gxsaurav said:

Until U get an Apple remote, & IR reciver, I don't think it's any use insted of using the usual software whose engine front row uses

First it is NOT a rip of MCE.. there is a world of difference between the two... and you can use ANY bluetooth cell phone or ANY IR cellphone if you have a receiver as a remote.

Search for it. you'll even get a video showing a Mac Mini running frontrow..

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
Who the hell asked these windows fanatics to say anything about how their HTPC whatnot is better or not. I just said that I've used the FrontRow application from the new iMac and I find it excellent. I don't care if windows media center is better or not...

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
goobimama said:
Who the hell asked these windows fanatics to say anything about how their HTPC whatnot is better or not. I just said that I've used the FrontRow application from the new iMac and I find it excellent. I don't care if windows media center is better or not...

His name is GX... as usual can't stand Apple.. but still has to post in apple-related topics...

mail2and said:
goobimama said:

His name is GX... as usual can't stand Apple.. but still has to post in apple-related topics...

Actually before you start bashing GXSAURAV, It was Microsofts GM Joe Belfiore who first leveled accusations -

"Surprise ... Apple Copies Media Center
Speaking of Media Center, I'm surprised that there was less outrage over Apple's Front Row software, which is a complete Media Center rip-off (albeit one that offers only a subset of Media Center features). Joe Belfiore, the general manager of Microsoft's eHome division, is in New York this week for Digital Life for the soft-launch of XP MCE 2005 UR2, and he's surprised about a completely different issue. "I was surprised that it took them as long as this to do a feature like Media Center," he said. Indeed. But this lengthy gestation--Media Center has been out for over three years now--suggests that Apple isn't all-powerful. Furthermore, Apple is only now dealing with issues Microsoft first solved four years ago--IR interfaces, for starters--and has yet to figure out all the issues involved with TV tuner cards, TV recording, and so forth. In short, they have a long way to go before they can ever catch up with Media Center. Most tellingly, perhaps: Why is Apple's interface so text-based? It looks sad next to Microsoft's highly-visual approach. Which, frankly, is what you want with digital media content. Just a thought."

*www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/48117/48117.html

goobimama said:
Yes, I bet everyone understands that. It's not my intention to start a flame war (and I believe neither does GX). But as this is an open forum, there's nothing against any user expressing his/her opinions on the topic in question (as long as they don't cross limits). Just keep it clean, because cause comments like
goobimama said:
Who the hell asked these windows fanatics to say anything about..
are more harmful than beneficial.

Keith

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
keith, i know GX since 1 year.. he deliberately posts in such a manner that he will get flamed.'

HE even says he boots Win Xp SP2 within 20 seconds...

If you want a full list of his "classics" on this forum.. search for his user name.. and be sure to check his posts regarding cell phones and mp3 players ;)

GX boy.. ur dead :p

BTW keith... isn't that the review by Paul F@gg0t of WinSuperSite? The self-proclaimed microsoft poodle.

I haven't used MCE.. but Front Row isn't a rip.. The whole front row application is just 3 mb!

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
mail2and said:
keith, i know GX since 1 year.. he deliberately posts in such a manner that he will get flamed.'

HE even says he boots Win Xp SP2 within 20 seconds...

If you want a full list of his "classics" on this forum.. search for his user name.. and be sure to check his posts regarding cell phones and mp3 players ;)

GX boy.. ur dead :p
Yeah, poor dude. I dont know why he posts without any sense sometimes (or should I say manytimes?)

Lol, today got bashings in the mobile sections. I stopped posting at mobile section for a while, when I started to check threads, it was awful.. :roll:

He once said moto e 398 dont have camera, I pointed that mistake and still dont gives up and gets flammed hard :lol:
He says he gets 3 days battery usage with his K700i (with MP3s, games, moments capturing, video recording, et al). I guess even SE wont have given so much standby time for the phone.
Lets not get into mobiles in here....
Even abt the warning, he tried to "flame" another member on racial grounds and got warned :lol: I really dint see his post (it was edited,but I saw the other dude's post :p)

I jsut came by to warn gx not to post unless he is sure of the facts..

mail2and said:
BTW keith... isn't that the review by Paul F@gg0t of WinSuperSite? The self-proclaimed microsoft poodle....I haven't used MCE.. but Front Row isn't a rip.. The whole front row application is just 3 mb!

I won't comment on GX but you're right about Paul F@ggot. :lol:

G

gxsaurav

wth, who allowed U to say that Grudge, Do u have some special dispute with me or what & just point me, when did I say that E398 don't have a camera. I do get upto 3 days on my k700i, but i never said I use the camera or mp3 player extensively, I use it as a phone, but i do click photos a lot, but it still lasts, I don't know how to prove it to U,

andy, I have mailed U the video taken from my mobile, while booting windows XP SP2

Front row is a RIP, as far as functionality goes, it's only a front end for Itunes, Iphoto, idvd

Stop being Anti-GX

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gxsaurav said:
wth, who allowed U to say that Grudge, Do u have some special dispute with me or what & just point me, when did I say that E398 don't have a camera. I do get upto 3 days on my k700i, but i never said I use the camera or mp3 player extensively, I use it as a phone, but i do click photos a lot, but it still lasts, I don't know how to prove it to U,

andy, I have mailed U the video taken from my mobile, while booting windows XP SP2

Front row is a RIP, as far as functionality goes, it's only a front end for Itunes, Iphoto, idvd

Stop being Anti-GX

And you stop being plain stupid. Windows Xp can not boot within 20 seconds especially with the amount of RAM in your system. And am not talking about just starting up.. am talking abt loading fully..

and just for the record, i didn't get any mail from you.

Front row is a rip eh? is Media Center just 3 mb? eh?

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
gxsaurav said:
Here is the proof, for everyone to see.. I dont post for fun dude... If I say you had made that "mistake", then I must be sure... take a look in this thread:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11713&highlight=moto

And look guys, he still dint believe even we two of us confirmed it...

And GX, you want me to fish more flame threads at mobile/hardware sections?

The point I want to make is, dont post unless you are sure abt that or have a proof, I am not anti-GX.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
grudge.. i suggest you take his posts off here.. we were discussing something and he has to come in.. and spoil the discussion...

anyways goobi.. the apple remote is available on the store now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom