Apple COO: iPhone in Asia in 2008, but in China,India "one day"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
Continuing along the "iPhone in China" saga that has been absolutely gripping the Mac universe since November, Apple COO Tim Cook said during today's annual shareholder meeting that the device would make its debut in China... "one day." That mysterious day—for the generalized Asia, anyway—will come sometime this year, though. "We will enter Asia with the iPhone in 2008... we will one day enter China, we're not saying when, and we will one day enter India," Cook was quoted saying by Reuters.
Cook did not expand on specific plans, though. This is to be expected, given the fact that Apple is (no longer?) in talks with China Mobile after alleged conflicts over revenue sharing. Still, China Mobile (and other carriers in China) remain open to iPhone negotiations, so anything is possible within the next nine months.
CEO Steve Jobs was also at the meeting, and reiterated the company's 2008 goal of selling 10 million iPhones. China sure could help out in making that goal a reality, Stevie-o.

Source

narangz

Web developer
One day. That one day might be in 2015 :D

Just joking. It'll be there with Reliance GSM(When it starts PAN India operations), I guess. Its just my guess work there's no source. Aayush himself can throw some light on the issue.

Last edited:

Voldy

The Dark lord
i dont think apple will launch iPhone and even its services untill 2011 in india

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
The iPhone is never coming to India. :(

i dont think apple will launch iPhone and even its services untill 2011 in india
When you said the same thing in another thread, I thought you were being sarcastic, but now I'm not quite so sure. You don't seriously think that it's going to take that long, do you?

MrCCK

Right off the assembly line
Guys, don't be so pessimistic!

Apple has reduced the prices of iphone; there is a limit to which it can reduce the prices. They are bound to come up with iphone ver. 2 very soon.

And then what happens to the few million "old" iphones lying in their warehouses in the US and EU?

I'll tell u a secret!

They get dumped into India and China; just like all the other electronics/IT stuff.

They can even sell their refurbished junk here as new.

We can pay them 40,000 bucks for it.

So sit tight and your wish will be granted!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i dont understand why dont they sell it in india i mean for God sakes ferrari bmws all are coming here this is just a piece of technology (junk) who will make these high headed american fools to understand that india is more a "developing nation" and has people who are freaking richer and earn more than the baldy himself

shashank_re

In the zone
I think they will surely launch iPhone in India soon by seeing Forbes Richest List...4 of top 8 richest are Indians!! :)

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
They wont...Apple is more interested in contract based business which lacks in india...if the iphone comes bundled with and connection the craze would be much less than expected..the htc touch which was being sold by airtel got a major beating because airtel did not promote the product properly..

Now in india apple is known more for its ipod, noun gives a damn abut the mac or the macbook(exceptions :D)...so i guess Apple will just look through the sale of their ipod touch and then come release the Iphone as an unlocked product later in the decade....

narangz

Web developer
Aayush said:
They don't want to sell just four iPhones.
You must be joking!

Thousands have bought iPhone at an outrageous price of more than 30K.

They wont...Apple is more interested in contract based business which lacks in india...if the iphone comes bundled with and connection the craze would be much less than expected..the htc touch which was being sold by airtel got a major beating because airtel did not promote the product properly..

Now in india apple is known more for its ipod, noun gives a damn abut the mac or the macbook(exceptions :D)...so i guess Apple will just look through the sale of their ipod touch and then come release the Iphone as an unlocked product later in the decade....

Its gonna come. Soon! Wait & watch.

@Aayush- The iStore chain is owned by Mukesh Ambani. Right?

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ yes it is owned by mukesh and reliance telecom is ownd by anil so dont think abt reliance being the carrier :)

narangz

Web developer
Yeah. I thought so.

Anyway AT&T is gonna come soon in collaboration with Mahindra, I guess. So let's see :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
He's said that statement more times than I care to remember.

Don't worry, he's going to buy it officially only. And after me. (He can't win every time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom