[Query] APC Replacement

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Hello, my APC Back-UPS RS 1100 was having fan noise issue. Every 50 minutes-1 hour the fan would run at full speed for 15 minutes flat and then stop. This used to happen every 1 hour. It didn't matter if PC was on or off, temperature was below 25 degrees or above 40 degrees or whether the UPS was supplying backup. It used to make noise every 50 minutes -1 hour.

I complained yesterday and the APC guys came today and they replaced the unit with a new one. Now, they brought the new unit already opened. They didn't unbox in front of me, in fact they didn't even bring the box, they just brought the unit. Now I asked if it's new or not and was told that the PCB inside is a new one and this piece has never been used. They put the battery from my old UPS into the new one and left.

The UPS body has few scratches so I am pretty sure it's not a brand new piece. How does APC service work? Are they supposed to give a brand new sealed piece? They told me that APC does not repair UPS (at least in my city) and there is no chance that the replaced piece if repaired. They also said that APC would never give a brand new sealed piece.

abhijeet.ak

Broken In
Hello, my APC Back-UPS RS 1100 was having fan noise issue. Every 50 minutes-1 hour the fan would run at full speed for 15 minutes flat and then stop. This used to happen every 1 hour. It didn't matter if PC was on or off, temperature was below 25 degrees or above 40 degrees or whether the UPS was supplying backup. It used to make noise every 50 minutes -1 hour.

I complained yesterday and the APC guys came today and they replaced the unit with a new one. Now, they brought the new unit already opened. They didn't unbox in front of me, in fact they didn't even bring the box, they just brought the unit. Now I asked if it's new or not and was told that the PCB inside is a new one and this piece has never been used. They put the battery from my old UPS into the new one and left.

The UPS body has few scratches so I am pretty sure it's not a brand new piece. How does APC service work? Are they supposed to give a brand new sealed piece? They told me that APC does not repair UPS (at least in my city) and there is no chance that the replaced piece if repaired. They also said that APC would never give a brand new sealed piece.

Well there are remote chances that they would put used parts as a replacement.... If you still have a doubt I would suggest getting in touch directly with the local APC distributor and APC themselves and have them address this concern of yours.

I have normally observed that if there's a replacement to be done for any electrical components (not only UPS) you would not see the same in any box or packing, coz its a replacement piece and Not for Retail Sale piece.....

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Well there are remote chances that they would put used parts as a replacement.... If you still have a doubt I would suggest getting in touch directly with the local APC distributor and APC themselves and have them address this concern of yours.

I have normally observed that if there's a replacement to be done for any electrical components (not only UPS) you would not see the same in any box or packing, coz its a replacement piece and Not for Retail Sale piece.....

Well said buddy.:clap2:

OP
C

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
They replaced my unit and gave me the same model - APC 1100. I faced the same problem in the replaced unit. Called them and they replaced it twice more but with the same model. Called them a few more times and they replaced it with APC Back-UPS PRO 1000. No fan problem in this one. Finally at peace.

Apparently fan spinning is normal in APC 1100. Also, all replaced units/batteries are refurbished.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
They replaced my unit and gave me the same model - APC 1100. I faced the same problem in the replaced unit. Called them and they replaced it twice more but with the same model. Called them a few more times and they replaced it with APC Back-UPS PRO 1000. No fan problem in this one. Finally at peace.

Apparently fan spinning is normal in APC 1100. Also, all replaced units/batteries are refurbished.

replaced with a new higher price model?

OP
C

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Yes. They replaced my unit thrice but fan noise was still there. So in the end, they replaced with a new higher priced model. No problems now.

Top Bottom