Anybody tried Rockbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an PMP (Philips GoGear) manufactured about a year ago (bought it just 3 month back though)
I'm really keen to try Rockbox on it, since it completely overhauls and improves the firmware.
However, I'm a bit skeptical, since I'm not good at this and Rockbox has not been tested on Philips.
So, has anybody tried it? Is its safe to go ahead?
I have no idea how to go about with this too.....

BUMP!
:D

Last edited:

k4ce

Youngling
i tried it on an old sansa e250 ... its kewl ... there was a detailed manual for the sansa series so no hassles ... ported it without any problems ... try it at ur own risk

OP
thewisecrab
Maybe nobody even have a PMP like the one you have... :D
:p
Rockbox can be tried on almost any PMP thats a year old. :|
Reason I'm asking is that I have never tampered with firmware of any gadget since it carries the risk of bricking it for good.
A bricked device also voids warranty AFAIK :|
But the firmware is sh!tty on my PMP, despite having video playback and good audio-picture playback
Hence I'm looking to change it. I found Rockbox as an alternative, but I coudlnt find any other, neither do I know how to go about ( my PMP Philips SA 3344 is not supported yet)

k4ce

Youngling
rockbox is the only one ... there was the ipod linux project but that faded away as the newer models have some sort of protection ... playin around wid firmware is serious business and i recommend that u read all instruction carefully before attempting to do something ... or u'll be left wid a very expensive paperweight

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Don't know about Rockbox working on philips Go-gear,but i've used Rockbox in my Rokr E6.Definitely better that real player on it,lot of customizations available for tweaking audio.

OP
thewisecrab
rockbox is the only one ... there was the ipod linux project but that faded away as the newer models have some sort of protection ... playin around wid firmware is serious business and i recommend that u read all instruction carefully before attempting to do something ... or u'll be left wid a very expensive paperweight
Thats a risk I'm a bit skeptical to take :|
Even so, since Philips is not on Rockbox's menu, how should I go about?

moshel

Padawan
better not rockbox it until there is a device specific rockbox firmware...or if u have programming skills, u can take help from the peeps at rockbox forums, or give them a hand, to prepare a mod for your player..

the creative zen rockbox project never really took off....very saddening..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom