Anybody installed Solaris 10 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Hi

I have Mandriva One and Windows XP installed . I want to install Solaris 10 on my laptop to practise SQL and Unix..Can anybody guide me how to delete Mandriva and dual boot windows XP + Solaris 10 ?

Does any distribution of Linux comes with pre installed SQL ?

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
easy.. Just insert the Solaris DVD.. and follow the instructions.. Solaris will take you to the partition setup.. there you can allocate the partitions to it.. make a 8GB+ partition for Solaris.. and select UFS file system.. the swap partition will be automatically picked up by it or you can re-format it as swap space..

On the other hand.. i'd recommend that you go for OpenSolaris instead of Solaris 10.. Solaris is a bit heavy on resources and doesn't have the wealth of Free Softwares.. on Solaris 10 you'll feel at home using GNOME and OpenSolaris too is UNIX complaint..

Solaris 10 uses Java Desktop Environment (if i remember) which requires at least 512 MB RAM (758 MB recommended)

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^hmm ..so can I just allocate mandriva partitions to Open Solaris so that it can automatically format and install it then ?

Thanks

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Could you post output of fdisk -l? If your mandriva partition a primary partition then Yes...Yiu cannot install OpenSolaris on a Logical Drive...

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
oops...I think Mandriva isnt on primary partition ..First I had windows XP on C: and then Mandriva on E: partition...How to do it now ?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
In that case of if Mandriva is a logical drive. Delete it. Then shrink the extended partition. And then install OpenSolaris by creating a partition on Unallocated Space.
Use Gparted Live CD or Ubuntu Live CD (and run Partition Editor) for this partition tasks.

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Before Mandriva :

C: Win XP
D: Logical Drive

I reallocated 8GB out of D drive to unallocated space and then installed Mandriva on that

AFTER MANDRIVA

Now you are advising to delete all linux swap etc partitions and then install Opensolaris on that unallocated space

Am I Right ?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Could you post screenshot of Disk Management in Windows OR post the output of fdisk -l in Mandriva?
It would really give more insight what you need.
IIRC Solaris can Use your Linux SWAP, so don't delete SWAP but delete the Mandriva's Root Partition...

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
or post the screenshot of Gparted :p

Btw what about this sudden craze of installing OSes ?

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
great to know that the fire sill burns within you.. but i think that Solaris can be installed on the logical drive too.. just try it and then tell us.. it will warn you if it is not installable on logical drive..

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
wait for few hours.. we'll confirm it for you..

Update :-

Here check this out

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I'm pretty sure Solaris needs to be installed on a Primary Partition. You can use GParted to recreate/resize the partitions. But be aware of the fact that you cannot directly convert a logical partition to a primary one.

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
So it means I have to remove windows ??? no way ...I m not going to recreate partition table again

Also Acer Aspire 5500 doesnt list in Solaris HCL :(

Last edited:

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
you can install OpenSolaris.. it can be installed on logical partition.. and it is also UNIX System V complaint..

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
^^^
No IIRC It can't be. OpenSolaris uses ZFS which has to be primary.

@OP: I warn you it is possible if you try to install it on logical drive, it might erase the extended partition, and all logical drives may get lost in the process.

So it means I have to remove windows ??? no way ...I m not going to recreate partition table again

Also Acer Aspire 5500 doesnt list in Solaris HCL :(

You don't have to remove Windows. You can have upto 4 primary partitions or 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition with an extended partition...er...consisiting of multiple logical drive.

Last edited:
OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
AFAIK a HD cant have more than one primary partition..It can only have one primary partition and then a logical partition which can have many logical drives ..right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom