any way of permanent replacement of IE ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohit sharma

Journeyman
hi guys ,
i had a question to ask ?? can't we just replace IE from our windows xp by opera or firefox fully , i mean can't i just remove IE from my xp forever and replace all it's activities with something good like opera or firefox ???

looking forward for your help ????

manas

Wandering in the zone ...
You can set Firefox or Opera as the default browser.Just right click on Taskbar,click Properties,select Start Menu and then Customize.Then select Mozilla Firefox as the default browser.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
You can disable rights to run IE by going to
Start > Program Access/Defaults > Custom > Choose a default web browser > Select Fx/Opera and deselct the check box next to the IE option "Enable access to this program"

OP
mohit sharma

mohit sharma

Journeyman
no it doesn't work what i really wanna ask it i want IE out of my system and instead want firfox / opera , in that way that even if i open my computer it comes not in IE but firefox and IE get's uninstalled for ever .
IS THIS POSSIBLE ????

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Its not advisable to wipe off IE from your system since its integrated to the OS's works like Help files and etc... So I wont recommend doing something like that... better jus cover it up and hide it... and may I ask the reason of doing so? Are you such-a-huge fanboy of browsers like F/O or what?

OP
mohit sharma

mohit sharma

Journeyman
@ qwety maniac :: ya something like that u may say , or the other way i can say i m bored of seeing windows explorer IE windows everytime i open my mycomputer !!!!!
and once long before in complete reference of windows 98 i had a glimpse of this type of thing in which the author described a way of replacing IE completely to NETSCAPE !!! uninstalling the IE completely !!!

but can't get that book now !!! sad !!!!

so i asked it here !!!

puja399

In the zone
There is one version of XP (heavily modded of course) called "Tiny XP" which EXCLUDES IE and the installer is less than 150MB!!! I tested it and it runs XP (integrated SP2 with updates) with 50MB mem only!!!!!! And its so nice and fast. Some of u may try it if u like. Just try google for more info.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
U can try XPLite to remove the Internet Explorer completely from Windows!
U can also remove many unusable components using this tool...
And Yes! The edition suggested by Pooja also works well, though I hvnt used it but hv heard a lot about it...

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
TinyXP can induce problems in PCs as has been reported! It is better to mod the XP directly! We can remove the softwares we do not need from Add/Remove Components and there is no use removing IE from the system! If you manage to remove it completely it would really mess your system up!

Its not good to use modded and illegal versions of XP! Please don't recommend it!

janitha

Wise Old Owl
While I was using Win98, I removed IE comletely using a software and installed and used FF. I wrote about it in the forum but many people were not favoring it. But I did'nt face any problem other than pages that will open only in IE. Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the small SW but it ends in 'exterminator'.You may try google.

V.Prem Kumar

sakumar79

Technomancer
Why not simply instruct the firewall to deny network access to IE? Internally, lot of items run on IE engine... Even some third-party programs (especially those created using VB) can be trying to use IE to do certain stuff... So, not sure if it is good idea to remove IE...

Arun

ganguli

Right off the assembly line
I belive there's no way to completely un-install Internet Explorer.
It shares many files with the rest of the OS.

You can remove IE icons and shortcuts:

Alternate Method
1. Insert the XP CD-ROM.
2. Click "Install Optional Windows components".
3. Un-check the box for Internet Explorer.
4. Click Next.

Then delete the IE folder,but you have to somehow disassociate it with other programs which might need it sometime.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
mohit sharma said:
@ janitha - plz. try to remeber the name of software and tell ??
Yes, it is "ie eradicator" and you can find the download link by googling. But mind you, it will work only with older versions like Win98.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom