Status
Not open for further replies.

swatkat

Technomancer
i use AVG 7 Free Edition....
but now i am using NOD32 AntiVirus Demo, for testing....next i want to try Norman AntiVirus!!! :)

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@swatkat: How's NOD32? I was kinda waiting for you to "test" it out? Any good? How is it on system resources, heuristics, updates, configuration levels, etc?

swatkat

Technomancer
enoonmai said:
@swatkat: How's NOD32? I was kinda waiting for you to "test" it out? Any good? How is it on system resources, heuristics, updates, configuration levels, etc?
hi enoonmai,
NOD32 comprises of four scanning modules namely AMON (Background Scanner), NOD32 (On-Demand Scanner), DMON (MS Office and IE scanner, here DMON means Document Monitor), IMON (Internet Monitor, for scanning Emails). These are nicely grouped in one interface called NOD32 Control Center.

Yeah..NOD32 is very light on system (better than AVG!!). According to Lavalys Everest, these are my RAM utilization in different cases:-
Total RAM=191MB SDRAM
1] No AV installed: Usage 57%
2] AVG 7 Free: Usage jumps to 84%
3] NOD32: Usage jumps to 70%

Also, time taken to open applications is greatly reduced, compared with AVG or any other AV….

Each module of NOD32 has loads of Options (i like this!!!). By clicking “Setup” in each module window, it opens up the options window, which lets you control EVERY aspect of Antivirus process, like Scanning (file types, when to scan etc), Detection methods used (like Signature based or Heuristics etc), Actions to be taken (when a virus is found) and file type exclusions.

I think NOD32 has good Heuristics; it has 3 levels of Heuristics namely Safe, Standard and Deep! It also has some options like “Runtime Packer” scan, which scans packed files several formats are scanned internally. It also has one option called “Advanced Heuristics”, apart from above 3 Heuristics, their help says that this one extends heuristics capability of NOD32 and enables it to detect new Trojans, worms and viruses.

Another good feature is two stage Actions, like if it finds a virus, first action is to clean and if it fails , you can specify another second action, like rename, delete, quarantine etc. Both first and second actions can be customized.

Overall, NOD32 is a good AV, with lots of Options to tweak it! New users may suddenly find it very confusing, by seeing those loads of options!! And scanning speed is also good…..

I can not say anything about detection rates of NOD32 (because I can not test it!!!!). But according to reviews, tests by several websites and organizations it has a very good detection rate.

As in that McDonald ad, “i am lovin it” !!!

I suggest you to try it….
:wink:

theraven

Technomancer
nod32's detection rate isnt as good as any of the "bloatware" av's
however it is extremely light
and it has an option for server client configuration
which i need
so im gonnat ry it out soon enuff i hope

btw as of now i use kaspersky personal pro 5.0.20

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
That was awesome as usual, swatkat. :D I am definitely trying this out, because I am personally tiring of disabling the Internet connection and turning off the antivirus and firewall every time I want to play a demanding game to boost framerates. (*cough*Far Cry*cough*) Since there is no real way of checking security for us end-users (I am crazy, but suicidal, never :D) the only things I have left to rely on are the levels of configuration and the drain on system resources. If this can do a good enough job, and since I've got BlackICE application protection running at all times anyway, I just may ditch PC-Cillin IS2005 and McAfee 9 Pro and go the NOD32 way.

Thanks for the great detailed info.

@theraven: Thanks buddy, I will most definitely keep that in mind. I will take a walk on the wild side once I install it and see what it does. Warning noted! :D

theraven

Technomancer
sorry i was a bit late posting :p
swat got the better of me again :p
i thot i was replying directly to ur post lol

digen

Youngling
NOD32 user here too.Have been using it for quite sometime now.If there is one word to describe it its:light.Although I've read that the detection rate is not as comparable to say kaspersky I'm satisfied period.As the detailed swatkats post suggest its worth a try.

If this can do a good enough job, and since I've got BlackICE application protection running at all times anyway, I just may ditch PC-Cillin IS2005 and McAfee 9 Pro and go the NOD32 way.
I hope you have taken the leaktest which I've mentioned in your "windows security tutorial".Just to let you know.

goobimama

 Macboy
I use norton antivirus 2005. works best for me. Automatically downloads updates, I dont notice any system slowdown (640 MB RAM) and scans on its own. Its what I call trouble free....

Milind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom