Antivirus Software Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Ah .. There you go again ... Extendia is a hoax .. Those ads that you saw were are all to create hype ..
And btw .. Did I told you .. Innoculation was developed by NAV itself ..
And KAV .. Man .. with a crawling speed of scanning it sux more resources than NAV .. Try just selecting a large file on the DVD and you'll know what I am talking about ..

aadipa

Padawan
Read This

Kaspersky AV
Technologies iChecker and iStreams: how they work?

Norton AV
How does inoculation work?

swatkat

Technomancer
Anyone here used Hauri Virobot? If yes, hows it's (user interface, resource usage, Virus database etc....)?

S

sunnydiv

*www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=67&mnu=67

42. Quick Heal version 7.01 - 30.13%

damn

21. Nod32 version 2.0.0.9 database 1.840 - 82.68%

double damn

i was relly counting on nod32
it is said to be like 3 times faster than norton
:p i guess now we know why

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Aah .. Dont tell me you never experience your system freezing when you just select a large file ..

And btw .. Try Extendia before you realize what I wanted to say .. :))

demoninside

In the zone
aadipa said:
Read This

Kaspersky AV
Technologies iChecker and iStreams: how they work?

Norton AV
How does inoculation work?

thanx addipa for explaining but Batty was writing
innoculation which i couldn't find, so thanx for this

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Such a long argument over nav and kaspersky.

Well I am using McAfee VirusScan 9.0 Pro and it does not strain my system, good virus detection, fast scans and lots of features.

Maybe this should cool down this thread.

escape7

What? Where? How?
I've tried many, but came back to norton. It has the simplest interface...and is good. Thats it!

rohanbee

Padawan
You cant seriously stop using av's ??
Have been a Norton fan for mnay years now and have had no major problems.

Apart from a good av you also need to be a cautious web and e-mail surfer.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
grinning_devil said:
hpotter606 said:
Norton cant many viruses.

:?: means ??

nyway i think ur using pirated copy of NAV .. rite ??
so the best wud be switching over to KAV...free...light ... nd efficient ..!!
I'm using pirated KAV...........
Where is the free version available??

hcp006sl

Journeyman
swatkat said:
Kaspersky and F-Secure have largest virus database than any other AV. They also have good feature set, again, compared to any other AV.
Virus database is not everything to detect a virus. I have downloaded those results - though old enough.
While benchmarking we have to test some basic point. How much effective they are? Is their auto-protection really works? There are many Anti-spy or Anti-virus whose auto-protection do not work. Are they capable to scan within archive? How many archives do they recognize? How much time does it take to make a full system scan? How much does it effective to detect non-viral threats or virus like objects?
Finally one more question - are you sure it is much stronger than a virus!!!
i.e., would it be possible for a virus to patch the anti-virus so that if it detects any virus, it won't show it on the scan summary window, also won't delete it. NAV 2004 faced a problem like that. There were some threats having the capacity to patch NAV.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
khattam_ said:
grinning_devil said:
hpotter606 said:

Were is the free version available??

:oops: ooooops messed it ...
assumed that nyone can search "cracks" frm gooogle!!

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
grinning_devil said:
khattam_ said:
grinning_devil said:
hpotter606 said:

Were is the free version available??

:oops: ooooops messed it ...
assumed that nyone can search "cracks" frm gooogle!!
Oh..............
But you were mentioning KAV like it is an alternative to pirated AVs................

swatkat

Technomancer
hcp006sl said:
swatkat said:
Kaspersky and F-Secure have largest virus database than any other AV. They also have good feature set, again, compared to any other AV.
Virus database is not everything to detect a virus. I have downloaded those results - though old enough.
While benchmarking we have to test some basic point. How much effective they are? Is their auto-protection really works? There are many Anti-spy or Anti-virus whose auto-protection do not work. Are they capable to scan within archive? How many archives do they recognize? How much time does it take to make a full system scan? How much does it effective to detect non-viral threats or virus like objects?
Finally one more question - are you sure it is much stronger than a virus!!!
i.e., would it be possible for a virus to patch the anti-virus so that if it detects any virus, it won't show it on the scan summary window, also won't delete it. NAV 2004 faced a problem like that. There were some threats having the capacity to patch NAV.

I am not saying Virus database is the only criteria. Kaspersky and F-Secure are critically acclaimed AVs. Currently these two AVs are the leaders when it comes to number of viruses they can detect.
And, when it comes to features like scanning within archives it supports some 700 compression file formats. Kaspersky is one of the few AVs which is capable of scanning even encrypted archives/files, and it's very good in detecting Trojans (this is where other AVs normally fail).

Coming to F-Secure, it has three Virus scanning engines, Yes three! Each file/folder is scanned individually by three engines, that means if one engine misses something, other two might catch it. This makes F-Secure equivalent to three AntiVirus Softwares. And, F-Secure uses Kaspersky Virus scan engine. Both Kaspersky and F-Secure are very good in detection, but they require slighly high system requirements.

Coming to AVs itself getting damaged by Virus, Norton is the only AV i have heard/seen that gets damaged/corrupted by a virus!

escape7

What? Where? How?
i've been using NAV(2003) for the past two years(it costs hell of a lot), run a virus scan every 14 days, my computer is working just fine and free from any hasseles, only once blaster worm was deteted. I've had no other problem ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom