Antivirus Software Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajesh

Journeyman
A good comparison done for all antiviruse softwares here.

*www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=67&mnu=67

Kaspersky ROcks. YEah ( I have it u know :) )

theraven

Technomancer
yeah its an extensive shootout
but its also old !!
new versions have been released for most .. and the comparison doesnt stand sane anymore!

take for eg kaspersky
its in version 5 now ( peronsal pro )
tho i use kav as well but i wouldnt underestimate the power of the new versions of the other AV's

swatkat

Technomancer
Kaspersky and F-Secure have largest virus database than any other AV. They also have good feature set, again, compared to any other AV.

swatkat

Technomancer
Bloatware is one which bloats like an ink mark on papaer, that is, which takes up a lot of resources of PC like RAM, CPU etc.
And Norton is one such bloatware, it needs a lot of RAM, slows the computer, so it's not liked by many people. But it has has commendable Virus detection rates!

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
swatkat said:
Kaspersky and F-Secure have largest virus database than any other AV. They also have good feature set, again, compared to any other AV.

Well .. IMHO Kaspersky gives too many false alarms ...
Btw ... Apart from what Swatkat said abt bloatware include this too .. Bloatware are the software suites that include too many programs most of which ppl dont use they just eat hard disk space and resources .. Like Nero .. Norton Systemworks ..

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi everybody,
I dont know properly about the others but why is 8. Norton version 2005 Professional not in the list ???
secongly why is 8. Norton version 2004 Professional after McAfee version 8.0.41, it is way better than McAfee version 8.0.41 !!!!
thirdly if No. 42 is Quick Heal version 7.01 then why was digit giving Quick Heal for some months in the CD's and DVD's ???

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
But what about FEATURES ?

NAV offers many other features other than just scanning for viruses !

Do AV like Kasperspy and others offer same or better solutions ?

If they do.......... I'll surely SHIFT

theraven

Technomancer
@rachit ... like i said its an oollllddd shootout
it was done at the time when norton 2005 was only in beta

i somehow disagree abt NAV tho ..
abbey bat i shifted cuz u said so remember ? :p
anyways ... one of these days .. im trying norton 2k5 and nod32 !! lets hope !

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
Then why does every1 say that NAV sucks and is a prob for most users ?
If it is so ricj in featres then why not use for the Sake of better protection and security ?

theraven

Technomancer
because it is bloatware ... and it hogs system resources
thats what we've been talkina bt
and its not like NAV is the best ..
there are better antivirii available out there !!!
which have better detection rates as well as less rsource usage !!

as for the systemworks .. its cr@p ...
u get better alternate software .. u just need to look for it !

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Oh god. Kaspersky AV Personel is the slowest scanner I've encountered. Man just see.............When I tried to Full Scan my computer, it saud that it would take 1 and a half hrs. Even Norton does a full scan in les than half an hour in my computer. Nod32 takes a mere 15 mins and ZA does it in 10 mins. Man........
*www.geocities.com/cyberdony2k/kas.png

Maybe it has the largest virus db but I don't care...................
This is sick...............

vysakh

Padawan
well, i think this is because you are scanning for the first time using kaspersky. Even i had a long time on my first scan. Next time the scan time will reduce a lot

aadipa

Padawan
KAV use a special technique so that files once scanned and then not at all altered will not be scanned next time. So subsequent scans will be faster.

swatkat

Technomancer
Yes, aadipa is right. But many AVs use this method, and this is called "Integrity Checking". This is also used by AVG, Avast etc.

AVs scan entire disk and recod the file and disk information, and they create signatures of them, when they are scanned for 1st time.
Then, next time, they simply compare the file with their signature, and if they dont match, the AV engine will scan the file for suspected viruses. If the files and their signatures match, then it will not scan the file for viruses.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Its called Innoculation and its not 100 % accurate cauz there are many 0 Bytes virii around .. It should also track Date Modified ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom