Anti-Smart Class

aaruni

The Linux Guy
OK guys, here is the situation.

Our school has implemented a very seriously crappy smart class. And because some people from the smart class company remain in the school to help out with the computers, the teachers do not do ANYTHING on their own. Also, the course material they provide is seriously crappy.

So, I have taken an initiative of replacing the smart class. I am planning for a complete alternative, so I can show this to the principal of our school. Now this will probably be a success, because our school has been receiving a lot of funding these days, and the principal thinks very highly of me about computers (I am the go to guy for doing anything for school functions on a computer).

So please help me here.

I have filled the questions as follows :

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact.

Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Purpose of the rig is to completely replace the crappy smart class system our school is using. It will need to play videos at good framerates. It should not
overheat, even in poorly ventilated conditions. It will also require a touch system, so that the teachers can use the touchscreen, instead of the mouse/keyboard to
interact with the system. It should run an application which can be used to draw, write on the screen. It will also be used to present projects.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Will have to consult to principal if she agrees to the estimated amount that comes up over here.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows XP/7 64 bit or Ubuntu 32 bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: about 300 GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention

the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Not a monitor, but I want a projector and a touch sensitive screen. 1280X800 resolution

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I don't have any components

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Don't know. Will ask principal if she agrees to the idea.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I will be doing it myslef, and a little assistance of a friend

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live in Bangalore, near Old Airport. I am open to both the pathways of acquiring things, although I would prefer online shops for their doorstep delivery.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: If the principal agrees, I will also need a solution to connect all the systems, from all the classes to form an intranet.

gameranand

Living to Play
First get the details about atleast budget. Projector is OK but why do you need a touch sensitive screen ???

Neo

Smart class? Is it the Educomp one?

Anyway, maintaining such a thing by yourself for the whole school.. are you Fu*king kidding me??
Also, how are you planning to change the content?
Simply getting a system is not enough.
What class are you in, btw?

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I am in 10th standard. And an office staff, who is also a computer wizard, and computer teachers will be helping me.

And i don't remember the brand, but it is something like educomp, or edurite, or something like that.

I will change the content too. Thinking of getting videos from khan academy and other such sites, and then the teachers can make their own presentations if they want. The thing is that the company which provides the smart class content also provides the hardware, so i am expecting them to move out with the hardware, in case the contract is ended.

Also, I want to approach the principal already with an estimated price, so provide ideas for a basic rig. And I need the touchscreen, because the students in our school are not to be trusted, and the components, except the projector and the display will be locked in a box. (a small cupboard style).

I was thinking a i series proccy, inbuilt graphics. 4 gb ram ?

Neo

SO if you are sure that you want to do this.
So it will used only for some videos and some basic applications. Also, I am thinking that it will be installed in every classroom and one will be the server with a large HDD. I have kept the prices to the minimum.
Here's my suggestion ..

Processor : Pentium G30 (3400/-) would do. You can consider A6-3650 (5,900/-) if you'd like integrated graphics but it wont be needed.
RAM : G-skill F3-10600CL9S-4GB NT (1,050/-)
Mobo : Asrock h61m-ps2 (2,800/-)
HDD: Seagate 500GB 7200.12 ( 3,650/-)
Cabinet : Cooler Master Elite 310 (1,600/-)
PSU: Seasonic SS-400es (2,700/-)
Projector : don't know much .. searching.

As for the touchscreen, you may use a light pen instead. It would be better. Touchscreens will be expensive.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
@ Neo: Will pentium be ok? I was thinking of atleast Core 2 duo, or its AMD counter-part.

And if we use a lightpen, won't we have to use a huge display, instead of the projector?

And what do you mean that integrated graphics wont be needed? How else will the computer output video?

And as for budget, I wanted to approach the principal with all things ready with an approximate cost. So you are welcome to post low end to mid range rigs.

Neo

Core 2 has been stopped. The processor which I suggested was a 2nd Generation Intel Processor.
And by integrated graphics I meant a dedicated card and not just basic memory, like A6 3650 has an HD 6530D built in whereas Pentium G30 has the basic Intel HD Graphics ( which can perform all your needs)

You have got something wrong here. If you are getting a projector, then you don't need a display. You just need a screen.
And ofc, you will need a huge screen for everybody in the classroom to watch the video properly.

Wait for other members to post their suggesstions as well.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
No, I mean the way ligthpens work, you need light coming from underneath, and that means you need a huge monitor, AFAIK ..

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
^why in the lord's name do you need a TOUCHSCREEN? you think 24"in touche screen will be visible to the whole class?
better get a projector
i'll tell you about the smart-class set up in our class
there is a GIANT "touchscreen"(thats what the educomp ppl and teachers call it) which is in fact a giant touchpad onto which the videos etc are beamed through the projector

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
That is what I meant by touch-screen. We use the word touchscreen too, so the word touch-pad evaded my mind..

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
^so use the term "giant touch-pad" from now on.when anybody says "touch screen" images of aluminium Clad 24" AIO's flood peoples minds

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
ok, sorry, and thanks

@All : I mean something like this, when i said touchscreen, corrected to giant-touchpad : *www.polyvision.com/solutions/interactive-whiteboards/eno-family/eno-classic

Last edited:
OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
any specific suggestions?
also AFAIK, if you change the proccy, then you have to change the mobo accordingly??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
pentium G620/630 is faster than most core2duo's & any amd dual core & even tri-cores in single threaded applications(you are not going to encode h264 videos now on this setup,do you?).only reason for preferring an AMD "A" series processor is for its better integrated graphics which again is most probably not going to be used in this usage scenario.

OP
aaruni

aaruni

The Linux Guy
OK, so that clears about the processor. What about the giant touchpad ?

guys ???

i still need to know about the touchpad and the projector..

Top Bottom